REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 02-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
2-Wheelin' Mod

2016 WSBK Thread

Superbike World Championship

From Wikipedia: Superbike World Championship (also known as SBK, World Superbike, WSB, or WSBK) is the worldwide Superbike racing Championship. The championship was founded in 1988. The Superbike World Championship season consists of a series of rounds held on permanent racing facilities. Each round has two races and the results of each race are combined to determine two annual World Championships, one for riders and one for manufacturers.

The motorcycles that race in the championship are tuned versions of motorcycles available for sale to the public, by contrast with MotoGP where purpose built machines are used. MotoGP is the motorcycle world's equivalent of Formula One, whereas Superbike racing is similar to touring car racing.

Europe is Superbike World Championship's traditional centre and leading market. However, rounds have been held in the United States, Malaysia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Australia, Russia, Qatar, and South Africa and the series plans on keeping extra-European circuits in rotation. An Indonesian race was also proposed for the 2008 season, but this was later canceled by the FIM.

The championship is regulated by the FIM, the international governing body of motorcycle racing, and managed and promoted by FGSport. FGSport became part of the Infront Group in 2007 and in 2008 was rebranded as Infront Motor Sports. As of 2013 the championship is organised by Dorna.

2016 Calendar

Australia
R1 - February 27th - WINNER = REA (Kawasaki)
R2 - February 28th - WINNER = REA (Kawasaki)

Thailand
R1 - March 12th - WINNER = REA (Kawasaki)
R2 - March 13th - WINER = SYKES (Kawasaki)

Spain
R1 - April 2
R2 - April 3

Netherlands
R1 - April 16
R2 - April 17

Italy
R1 - April 30
R2 - May 1

Malaysia
R1 - May 14
R2 - May 15

United Kingdom
R1 - May 28
R2 - May 29

Italy
R1 - June 18
R2 - June 19

United States
R1 - July 9
R2 - July 10

Italy
R1 - July 23
R2 - July 24

Germany
R1 - September 17
R2 - September 18

France
R1 - October 1
R2 - October 2

Spain
R1 - 15 October
R2 - 16 October

Qatar
R1 - 29 October
R2 - 30 October
Advertisement

Last edited by Sunfighter; 03-13-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Sunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
2-Wheelin' Mod

I have never followed WSBK but last year I was fully immersed in MotoGP and F1 so I decided I would try to layer in WSBK as well... maintaining this thread will be all the incentive I need to ensure that I'm watching every round!

There is a really good 50+ minute 2016 preview show available to download (....) that gives some GREAT context for the new season. If you haven't followed before, it seems like this is a great year to start watching.

2015 Recap

2016 begins - Australia round!

This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
the only problem i have with superbike is i don't dislike any of the riders, which makes it hard to root for one person. i found myself constantly yelling GO REA, GO DAVIES, GO NICKY this entire weekend.

supersport however is a different story. i don't like sofuoglu because hes a dick (and because im a sam lowes fan), and jules cluzel reminds me of lorenzo when he's having his hissy fits. all of this makes it that much easier to root for pj jacobsen who looks like the next big thing coming out of the states.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
2-Wheelin' Mod

Good point - the personalities in WSBK are pretty passive ... not a lot to get emotional and worked up about as a fan. I'm not sure if I'm going to have mental capacity to watch Supersport! But the bike displacement in that series is really interesting to me relative to the SBK bikes....
Old 02-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

yeah, im hoping there will be some drama in the paddock to make things more interesting this year. the racing itself however is top notch. 4 manufacturers all fighting at the front over a 2 second gap is awesome haha

Spoiler!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
2-Wheelin' Mod

Great shot!!!

Question for you, CharlieH, the one thing I noticed this weekend was that the front-ends of the bikes seem to squirm a LOT ... under braking, approaching a corner, coming out of a corner... maybe it was just the condition of the tires at that point in the race or maybe it was the fact that the WSBK bike chassises aren't as stiff as the MotoGP bikes... any insight?
Old 02-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
Great shot!!!

Question for you, CharlieH, the one thing I noticed this weekend was that the front-ends of the bikes seem to squirm a LOT ... under braking, approaching a corner, coming out of a corner... maybe it was just the condition of the tires at that point in the race or maybe it was the fact that the WSBK bike chassises aren't as stiff as the MotoGP bikes... any insight?

Phillip Island has traditionally always been very hard on the tires. The corners are fast and long and the track was repaved 3 years ago, which has made it much more abrasive on the tires. I'd guess that the tires probably also behave a little more erratically because the track temperature is subject to sudden changes given that it lies right next to the ocean. I didn't notice the front end squirming too much, aside from corner exits where all the weight is pushed to the back. The rear however was flopping from side to side especially downhill at lukey heights. I think you're right about the chassis stiffness though. Josh Hayes was the AMA Superbike champion at the time he rode as a wildcard for Tech 3 at Valencia and he said the M1 was so damn stiff he didnt even know how to ride it (still came in a respectable 7th place though).
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
2-Wheelin' Mod

Complete Kawasaki DOMINANCE so far!!!

WSBK Results - WSBK Phillip Island - Race results (1)

Rea wins Australia Race 1!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
2-Wheelin' Mod

Rea wins Race 2 in Australia ...

WSBK Results - WSBK Phillip Island - Race results (2)

Old 03-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
2-Wheelin' Mod

The series moves to Thailand but Rea continues his early dominance....

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ults-saturday/

That's THREE in a row to start the season ... can he do four .... ???
Old 03-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
2-Wheelin' Mod

Nope.....!!!!

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...esults-sunday/

Despite posting the fastest lap, Rea finished behind fellow-Kawasaki rider Tom Sykes by 0.190 seconds!! Incredible battle over the last few laps!
Old 03-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
Nope.....!!!!

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...esults-sunday/

Despite posting the fastest lap, Rea finished behind fellow-Kawasaki rider Tom Sykes by 0.190 seconds!! Incredible battle over the last few laps!

that was the best form i've seen sykes in since 2013. seems like this new bike has helped him solve his tire issues too. more importantly though... MOTOGP IN ONE WEEK HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE