REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 02-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
General career advice

So I am looking for some advice from ppl from RS.

Currently I work as a customer service/ 2nd level tier tech support for a local company. The paid is ok (not great about 50k per year), decent vacation plans, RRSP programs, great benfits and a good work environment. I like the job but in the long run I don't think is something I see myself doing (5+ years form now). They might want to keep me for now but as time pass who knows.

I am looking for other career options. I know i have to go back to school part time. I can't really do full time as I have bills to pay and pre purchase an apartment that's ready in 2017. So I can't really quit and go back to school full time.

I am not really interested in programming and the only reason I am in tech support is coz my parents/sister planned it that way for me. Didn't work out so I drop out of school and went and got a job. I could try talking some certs such as Network +, Security+, CCNA, CCNP etc etc.... on my own but I am not sure if that's route I like to take. I don't hate it but I also don't have much interest in them.

I want to give finance a try but looking at some of the programs out there from other post secondary it seems like doing it part time could take 4 or more years and by then I will be pretty old and making the switch to a different career will be pretty risky.

what you fellow rs think?
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Given your grammar, duolingo - english for starters.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Here's my perspective over the years of working. For as long as you work for someone, you'll always be "replaceable". Setting yourself apart from the rest is vital considering the competitiveness for work these days. It sounds like you are "okay" with your job, but not "hate" it, sort of in the middle. Also, how many people do you know that you can truly say they "love" their job/work, the type that can do this 7 days a week with no complaints? I think for most people, it's hard to say they "love" their job/work; hence, for you to feel/think this way with your uncertanties, I think it's normal.

In terms of going back to school, what are you defining as "old"? I am 29 and taking online courses in addition to full time work . I can't vouch for finance as I am from an accounting background, I have heard finance, have to bust a crapload of work hours along with the competitiveness due to a lot of people wanting to get into that industry.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
how old are you again? Need to sort of gauge to see if going back to school is a valid option.

50k / yr is not a bag figure to be in right now. I do think you are sort of "stuck" with the mortgage you need to pay for so that's a bitch. That's life I guess for you.

I would highly NOT suggest you getting certs. There are a shit load of people with crazy certs who will and always outsmart you. If that's where you want to go (which I fully respect), and based on certs, choose a big brand name, go work for a partner that sells that technology so they can pay for your courses. CCNA CCNP are ~yawn, you need to get a CCIE which is the cert to get. (FYI, fail rate is 3.5 tries and it has to be done in California, a engineer did it and took him 6 hrs a day for 2 yr on top of his full time job; by lunch time he already knew he failed the exam because his configuration wasn't proper)
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am currently 33 years old. I figure those certs aren't that special since you can study them off a book and take the exam.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,510 Posts
First thing I'm going to ask -- where do you want to be in your life, say, 5 years, from now?

Especially given your age, if you have any plans related to family (ie. those $$$ wasting, milk burbing, poop expelling little monsters) in mind, the job you have now could potentially be the perfect best match to raise a family. The majority of my family raising friends are in a situation where at least 1 parent is working in that kind of a job. When you are raising a family, you need at least 1 income that is steady, and the job allows for various flexibilities in terms of looking after your child.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
do you enjoy your field? are you a strong performer? do you have ambition to move up? if no, then you should get out.
if you can suck it up and accept that theres a chance you might be doing what you're doing for another 10+ years, then stay, but you won't be happy.
1 year becomes 5, 5 becomes 10 in no time.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

I'm not sure which certs you're referring to "not special" because CCIE is really a good accomplishment (just FYI on cost; the lab portion is something like $1200+ to take it. The written is $350, 2 days of hotel, and at a fail rate of 80%).

This is what I see for someone's that's 33.
1) Know your career path and understand what jobs you are able to get.
2) Need to know your own strengths; meaning resume is solid and able to apply to jobs you like.
3) Content with what you have or know how to chase after them.

I generally do not suggest someone doing schooling UNLESS you have a passion / gifted in trades / health care.
MBA is something in your late 30s (already 3-6 yrs of management experience).

In your case, I suggest getting as MUCH experience as possible. Experience = opportunities. Education of any MS certs, Citrix, Cisco, HPE etc ain't going to get you any jobs / through the door. It's your experiences that will.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
^

Good advice and it's transferable to a lot of careers.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Figure out what your really want in a career, and then take whatever steps are necessary to move you closer to that goal. My goal has always been to be the in-house tech support person for a moderately-sized company (dream big, yo! lol). It took me around 10 years to finally make it to my destination. 5 years in retail. 5 years in tech support. The only cert I acquired was MSCE+I, which, i suppose, helped get me in the door for that interview in support. All that time in the trenches helped build my skills in customer service, troubleshooting, etc...
Old 03-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

your parents planned that out for you?

So i think you really need to observe yourself and see what you are good at. ask your close friends even (that are observant) striaght up, what I am good at? and go from there

some people are like blank slates. they can pick up whatever it is that interests them because they have that drive. drive usually makes up for natural talent. but drive cannot beat natural talent + drive.

So it boils down to: you need to light a fire under your ass and get some drive.
What do you really care about? figure it out, and go fight for it

Whether or not its going to make money? some fields, you may not make money instantly, so you need to work a side job to be able to float that. alot of baristas are struggling musicians, actors, etc. the starving artist.

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarker View Post
Sorry for bumping the thread, but I also need a career advice. I would like to get some advice from you guys as I am starting my aviation career and I would like to take the best choices. I've just applied to Fly Aeroguard , but to start with want to ask if there are any pilots out there?
I suggest you start a new thread, aviation career specific.

There's a few of us on here, be glad to give me $0.02
Old 01-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #13
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
ask yourself if the salary was 2x or 3x if it would be enough for you to stay in that job forever

if yes, then start working your way up
if no, time for a change up

it sounds like even you still don't know where you want to head, and that's ok but you need to be strategic about what to think about trying. spend sometime and decide for yourself, then commit to it

I know people that have quit jobs, gotten certs etc only to end up laterally the same in another company. The certs only open some doors, the rest is you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #14
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Wheres the update from OP?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:35 AM   #15
gerom

I think you need to take any online courses in finance (here is a whole list of such courses on edX) and try to carry out practical test tasks (for example, using https://ca.essayshark.com/). Perhaps this will not be enough for further employment, but this way you will be able to determine the direction for yourself, get basic (and also more in-depth) knowledge and practice getting the desired job.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:27 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

www.revscene.net for all your car needs.

-hypa
dbuxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #17
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,184 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
So I am looking for some advice from ppl from RS.
I want to give finance a try but looking at some of the programs out there from other post secondary it seems like doing it part time could take 4 or more years and by then I will be pretty old and making the switch to a different career will be pretty risky.
RE: Finance, what do you hope to get out of a career in finance? Is it retail banking, an eventual exit into a VC fund?

My personal opinion is that there are two ways to get in...

One is to get in by 'putting in the time' to get experience and actively seek out opportunities locally.

The other is to go to a target school/program that IB firms are known to hire from (i.e. Western Ivey, Queens Commerce, Sauder PMF).
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #18
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,184 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I could try talking some certs such as Network +, Security+, CCNA, CCNP etc etc.... on my own
If you're looking for certs, my personal recommendation would be to snag AWS/GCP/Azure certs and land in some sort of a DevOps role working with cloud infrastructure.

Do you feel lost? I've found it really helpful to cold-message/email and ask to shadow others in their role or have a one-time 1:1 with them to understand their perspectives.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #19

A bit off-topic than original OP thread is asking, I am looking at some jobs to apply and what they are asking for in terms of skills/knowledge, I completely do not have knowledge of/yet alone experience of. Would you guys normally just apply anyways (nothing to lose)? I would say 30% of the what they want, I have none of. Say magically I do end up with an interview, wouldn't even know how to answer around questions that surround these topics.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Are these hard or soft skill experiences? For example, if they say the job requires Java knowledge and you know nothing of it, then yea, don't apply for it.

You're also going to waste your time and also the HR person time if you can't answer to their questions. The last thing you want is to burn bridges of HR staff/managers.

p.s. RIP Mr.HappySlip
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #21

Gotta be a bit more specific.

what field are you in?
if it's IT eg// do you have other implementations eg// SAP HANA / CRM / Splunk / Cisco /Coding /C++ etc.. these would be great skills & knowledge
If it's accounting eg// type of different verticals you have worked for Commercial packaging / retail / Mergers & Acq /
If it's engineering / medical field... different specifications / courses you too woudl help.

This is a great place to put in your special field you've been in to help you stand out.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
Are these hard or soft skill experiences? For example, if they say the job requires Java knowledge and you know nothing of it, then yea, don't apply for it.

You're also going to waste your time and also the HR person time if you can't answer to their questions. The last thing you want is to burn bridges of HR staff/managers.

p.s. RIP Mr.HappySlip
Technical skills such as knowledge of a specific computer program is "preferred" as an example. I applied anyways (since nothing to lose), it's HR duty to pick the best candidate LOL.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Gotta be a bit more specific.

what field are you in?
if it's IT eg// do you have other implementations eg// SAP HANA / CRM / Splunk / Cisco /Coding /C++ etc.. these would be great skills & knowledge
If it's accounting eg// type of different verticals you have worked for Commercial packaging / retail / Mergers & Acq /
If it's engineering / medical field... different specifications / courses you too woudl help.

This is a great place to put in your special field you've been in to help you stand out.
They someone that knows how to use their preferred computer software and know tax regulations.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #24
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
I just realized how old this thread is, and Mr. HappySlip is the OP. This guy is a legend for his misery. If it's not his wife bossing him around, it's his sister and parents.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2020, 05:24 AM   #25
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I just realized how old this thread is, and Mr. HappySlip is the OP. This guy is a legend for his misery. If it's not his wife bossing him around, it's his sister and parents.
He's also alive after his post about breaking quarantine.

Last Activity: 05-09-2020 06:29 PM