REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Identity theft/fraud (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707929-identity-theft-fraud.html)

JSALES 03-05-2016 01:33 PM

Identity theft/fraud

So my piece of shit brother was caught failing to produce a driver's license or insurance on January 26, 2016 and used my name instead. I just found out today by getting my driver's abstract. The officer I spoke to said I could try disputing the ticket and icbc said they'll send me an affidavit. My brother said he'll send a letter to admit what he did but I don't know if that's good enough, I just want this off my record completely. Will I have to go before the superintendent of the MVA?

Berzerker 03-05-2016 01:35 PM

They may charge him criminally as well. If he provides a letter and you make an affidavit it will sort itself out quickly.

Kick him in the balls after it's all said and done.

Berz out.

JSALES 03-05-2016 02:01 PM

I'm hoping the affidavit will clear my name as when they look at the officers notes, the description of the person could be alike considering we're brothers and probably have some similar features

Berzerker 03-05-2016 02:23 PM

Usually officers have a camera at their disposal. They should take photographic evidence from anyone not providing picture ID.

Berz out.

zulutango 03-06-2016 05:58 AM

It is a criminal offecne called "personation" and can lead to serious jail time in extreme circumstances. I used to get letters and copies of statements from the MVB in situations like this. I would interview the victim and the suspect and then proceed from there. It was almost always siblings or relatives who would know your code word....your mother's maiden name. Kind of limits the possible suspects. If "you" don't know your code word at roadside and have not produced your DL or any other identification, at the very least a picture is taken. I would also contact the owner of the vehicle and frequently had interesting conversations. :)

Report this to the Police and in person to the MV branch. Police will follow it up. Do not rely on your scumbag brother to turn himself in. He would never have told you about this and was willing to stick you with the fine and points. I'm going to take a wild guess here and speculate that he is either prohib or suspended and/or has a lengthy history of getting tickets...that is almost always the reason.

JSALES 03-06-2016 08:04 PM

I called the non emergency line and they said an officer would call me back. I'll be going to ICBC tomorrow to get a copy of the ticket and sending the letter of my brother admitting to what he did to the ticket dispute office. I'm hoping the officer was able to take a photo of my brother even though he knows the code word.

fliptuner 03-06-2016 09:09 PM

Sorry but what's this code word required for?

smoothie. 03-06-2016 10:03 PM

icbc drivers license probably

ninjatune 03-07-2016 07:30 PM

A tool used to assist in confirming identity when using a driver's licence as a form of ID

sho_bc 03-08-2016 03:50 AM

Its the security question you gave an answer to when you got your licence originally. In most people's cases, its their mother's maiden name, however I've seen some interesting/unique ones that the person said they put in their to make sure that only they knew the answer to it.