REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Erin Andrews awarded $55 million for nude video (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707961-erin-andrews-awarded-%2455-million-nude-video.html)

originalhypa 03-07-2016 01:43 PM

Erin Andrews awarded $55 million for nude video

Damn.
That's more than Multicartual pays, I'm sure.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/im...480&h=320&q=75

Quote:

The jury has awarded Erin Andrews $55 million in her civil lawsuit over the secret recording and release of a video showing her naked during a hotel stay.

The sportscaster's original suit asked for $75 million from the owner and operator of the Nashville, Tennessee, hotel where she was staying, and Michael David Barrett, the stalker who used a hacksaw to tamper with her room's peephole and record the video in 2008.

The jurors took photos with Andrews after the amount was announced, and she signed autographs, according to reports from inside the courtroom.

The jury found Barrett to be 51 percent at fault and required him to pay out more than $28 million. West End Hotel Partners, which owns and operates that Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University, was found to be 49 percent at fault and asked to pay out more than $26 million.

West End Hotel Partners has said Barrett's criminal actions were his responsibility, not theirs. Barrett was convicted in criminal court of stalking Andrews and sentenced to two and a half years in prison.

Andrews, 37, testified last week over the course of two days during the trial and broke down in tears at several points in talking about the effect the 2009 release of the video online has had on her personal life.

The closing arguments for both sides ended Friday and the jurors were sent into deliberations after arriving in court this morning.
http://cdn-img.health.com/sites/defa...ws-400x400.jpg

If anyone is thinking of taking video of my naked ass, be warned.......

It will cost you far less than $55 million.

PogChamp

murd0c 03-07-2016 01:51 PM

Where is the video? That's all I care about..

zilley 03-07-2016 01:55 PM

0-100 real quick.

Gucci Mane 03-07-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8735018)
Where is the video? That's all I care about..

same.

GS8 03-07-2016 02:05 PM

For $55m, was she masturbating with a pool cue?

In this day and age, you'd have better success with suing someone than winning the lottery

pastarocket 03-07-2016 02:27 PM

I think Kim Kardashian is gonna call Ray J. on her cellphone to ask him to give her some hotline bling. :lawl:

Watch KK make another sex video with Ray J and leak it on to the Internet. :Pbjt:

She is not making any money from lawsuits with those nude selfies. She'll realize the monetary benefits after seeing Erin make it rain with this lawsuit. :lawl:

Mr.Money 03-07-2016 02:38 PM

i don't see how the hotel chain got involved in the suit

$400 GoPro camera>>>drop it on the floor>>>profit in Muuurica?

Spoon 03-07-2016 02:42 PM

^
From a previous article I read, the hotel staff pretty much told the stalker the room she was living in. So yes, they're liable.

Good luck recovering the $28M from the stalker though.

Razor Ramon HG 03-07-2016 03:03 PM

Saw the video. Nothing to talk about. Potato quality too since it was like several years ago.

Would be nice if I could sue someone millions for taking a video of me doing my hair in the nude.

Harvey Specter 03-07-2016 03:13 PM

The judgement will probably be appealed and settled out of court.

ilvtofu 03-07-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8735034)
^
From a previous article I read, the hotel staff pretty much told the stalker the room she was living in. So yes, they're liable.

Good luck recovering the $28M from the stalker though.

I agree with Mr. Money, seems unfair on the hotel. Definitely don't think she is gonna get that much out of either party. I'm guessing its against company policy and not fair that when a shithead low-level employee does something like this they would have to pay out that much.
Had there been a documented pattern of ethically questionable behaviour with this employee I might feel differently but personally it doesn't feel like there's malice or even gross negligence on the hotel's part. Putting myself in the shoes of a business/business owner this seems like a pretty shitty precedence to be setting.

Bouncing Bettys 03-07-2016 04:30 PM

Didn't it come out that the hotel owner was showing the video to friends at a restaurant, making fun of her body, while the case was on going?

Jmac 03-07-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 8735069)
I agree with Mr. Money, seems unfair on the hotel. Definitely don't think she is gonna get that much out of either party. I'm guessing its against company policy and not fair that when a shithead low-level employee does something like this they would have to pay out that much.
Had there been a documented pattern of ethically questionable behaviour with this employee I might feel differently but personally it doesn't feel like there's malice or even gross negligence on the hotel's part. Putting myself in the shoes of a business/business owner this seems like a pretty shitty precedence to be setting.

Quote:

The jury heard Barrett say that he went to the hotel restaurant and used a house phone to ask to be connected to Andrews’s room. When the hotel complied, he was able to see her room number displayed on the phone, and after ascertaining that there was an empty room next to hers, he went to the front desk and was able to book it.

murd0c 03-07-2016 04:39 PM

just made a thread and posted it in NWS for those that want to see the video

SkinnyPupp 03-07-2016 04:43 PM

Who the fuck is Erin Andrews and why is her video worth that much and why did the jury take photos with her?

Jmac 03-07-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8735080)
Who the fuck is Erin Andrews and why is her video worth that much and why did the jury take photos with her?

ESPN reporter (at the time).

'Murrica

She's a minor celebrity

SkinnyPupp 03-07-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8735081)
ESPN reporter (at the time).

'Murrica

She's a minor celebrity

Ah I wasn't watching football back when Farvre was playing

$55 million man...

Jmac 03-07-2016 04:49 PM

Apparently it was Jenn Sterger that Favre sent dick pics to, not Erin Andrews. My bad

jasonturbo 03-07-2016 04:58 PM

A very large percentage of civil cases in the USA which result in "excessive" financial compensation are later appealed and the value of the award significantly reduced. It's almost an unwritten rule, if you're initially awarded a large sum through litigation you can expect it to be greatly reduced shortly thereafter though further litigation or settlement reached following the threat of appeal etc.

Damn, 55M though, I wouldn't even expect a secretly recorded video of Barack Obama blowing Donald Trump to fetch that much money in a court decision.

7seven 03-07-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8735080)

You probably will remember her from when the Hawks beat the Niners in the NFC championship game, interviewing Sherman right after he made that huge play

SkinnyPupp 03-07-2016 05:13 PM

I remember Sherman from that promo, that's for sure!

GLOW 03-07-2016 05:17 PM

i think she won dancing with the stars one year.
personally i prefer this 'interview' :troll:

ilvtofu 03-07-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8735073)

So two maybe three shithead employees? In a company that had how many hundreds if not thousands of employees?
What I'm concerned with is at which level of the corporate totem pole the misconduct occurred, the higher up the greater the fine, not rocket science IMO.

H.Specter 03-07-2016 06:57 PM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BGgOdBWeI8U/hqdefault.jpg

FerrariEnzo 03-07-2016 07:47 PM

Videos up here

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70796...ews-video.html