REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

A cop's view on modified vehicles

Hello, I'm a previous vancouver RS'er now relocated in Taiwan. When i decided that I want to come back to Asia, i was originally expecting this place to be more tolerable to modifications since this is kind of the origin of many parts, but so far 6 years have past, local enthusiasts are still trying hard to draw the fine line between vehicle enthusiasts, and street racers. Trying hard to "legalize" vehicle modifications, since we got yearly inspection on vehicles over 5 years old, and with engine code, and body panel codes registered on computers, there are no way any engine swaps remain undiscovered, typically you give up your vehicle registration and just drive it with a different plate, There are absolutely zero tolerance to modded vehicles here, and we get a bad name to drive in a civic, or a subaru, if you get spotted by a road stop with vehicle inspection personnel on site driving such vehicle, you will most likely be order to pop the hood, basically any modification is not allowed. I still remember when I was driving in Vancouver, cops sometimes pull me over for speeding, once a while for noise, but never did the authority purposely try to crack down modified vehicles.. i guess my question is, is it actually legal? or ok to modified and engine swap a vehicle in Vancouver (Canada)?
Advertisement
Evolutionian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

And that's why I live in a (mostly) free country.

Don't worry, it's just a matter of time before those invasive regulations make their way here.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Not 100% sure, but I think engine swaps are legal here, but you have to declare your vehicle to ICBC as a rebuild.

Like I said, not 100% sure. Just going by what I was told a long time ago when I was still into modding my car. Those days are over for me now. haha
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
back in the early to mid 2000's RCMP/VPD used to go around at car shows looking for the vin number on motors and checking to see if it came from a stolen vehicle and if it did the car was impounded on the spot.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
^ that's actually a good idea.

As far as modding goes, we have it infinitely easier than Australia and Germany, and it sounds like Taiwan as well. Yet people still bitch and moan all the time.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Came here expecting a POV on modified vehicles from a current or past police officer...
Old 03-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
I STILL don't get it

wow, so its actually not bad as long as we stick to the regulations then. Just last night we got a huge road block set up at a major 4 way intersection, and no matter which way you turn, there is a road block with inspection personal.. alot of cars were busted for aftermarket exhaust, this is not a meet or anything like that, no one was "gunning" or "revving" their motors. Same day the government tries to remind its citizens that any modification done that cost over approx. $300USD will need to be taxed 15%, while all the parts were already taxed during the importing process.. basically we got huge ass malls that sell exhaust, coilovers, seats, engine mods and chips, we pay tax on them, gets government receipts, but once installed, they become illegal at yearly inspections..
Old 03-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
As far as modding goes, we have it infinitely easier than Australia and Germany, and it sounds like Taiwan as well. Yet people still bitch and moan all the time.
I agree we have it super easy. Most of the stories I hear from people are about window tint and front license plates. Like are you fucking kidding me? Don't tint your front windows, and put on your front plate, it's not that fucking hard. In return you can almost do anything else you want to your car without being bothered.

All the other stories I have heard are from people running around with 15 degrees of negative camber, or trucks with the wheels sticking 10" beyond the fenders, light bars in bad positions, or cars that are so loud that even at idle they are beyond obnoxious.

If you keep your mods within reason, we live in seriously one of the most tolerable places for modding.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Came here expecting a POV on modified vehicles from a current or past police officer...
my bad haha
Old 03-09-2016, 04:41 AM   #10
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post

If you plan on modifying your vehicle you should take a good look at the Provincial Inspection manual as used at inspection stations....and the MV Act and Regulations. The latter 2 are available on line, the manual would possibly be available at a library...or maybe an inspection station would let you see their copy. I no longer have my copy to refer to.

In very general terms, IF you modify stock vehicles/equipment, the replacement parts must be equal to the ones you are removing...AND must meet federal standards. Aftermarket HID replacement "kits" are not legal, removing shocks & springs to replace them with airbags, overwattage headlight bulbs, spring chopping that makes your car lower than the rims, exhaust systems that remove factory cats etc are, in general terms not legal.

If you get stopped with A NON-COMPLIANT VEHICLE you can get one of 3 levels of inspection order...#1-car off the road right there, #2-30 days to pass an inspection, #3 report in within the time specified....AND/OR violation ticket/s for any or all of the modifications.

The MV Act permits Police to check your car and/or have it sent for an official inspection. Failing to comply with the inspection order means a $598 VT and a tow job. Traffic Memebers are more likely to check your vehicle, as that is part of their job description, but any Police may stop you and check. If you draw their attention by the way you drive, the way the car looks as it appears to have possible illegal modifications etc, you are more likely to enter this process. That is my perspective....a fruit explosion muffin and a doubledouble are now calling my name, my work here is done. Hi Ho Silver, Away!!

Last edited by zulutango; 03-09-2016 at 06:36 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolutionian View Post
wow, so its actually not bad as long as we stick to the regulations then. Just last night we got a huge road block set up at a major 4 way intersection, and no matter which way you turn, there is a road block with inspection personal.. alot of cars were busted for aftermarket exhaust, this is not a meet or anything like that, no one was "gunning" or "revving" their motors. Same day the government tries to remind its citizens that any modification done that cost over approx. $300USD will need to be taxed 15%, while all the parts were already taxed during the importing process.. basically we got huge ass malls that sell exhaust, coilovers, seats, engine mods and chips, we pay tax on them, gets government receipts, but once installed, they become illegal at yearly inspections..

I would then, as a purchaser...and this in mind..
Sale of motor vehicle contrary to regulations
222 A person must not sell, offer for sale, expose or display for sale or deliver over to a purchaser for use a motor vehicle, trailer or equipment for them that is not in accordance with this Act and the regulations.

ask them what they are going to do about it? Did they tell you it was legal for on-road use? Did they say it's probably OK? Did they say it is NOT legal to use on a "highway"?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #12
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
[/U][/I][/B]

222 A person must not sell, offer for sale, expose or display for sale or deliver over to a purchaser for use a motor vehicle, trailer or equipment for them that is not in accordance with this Act and the regulations.

ask them what they are going to do about it? Did they tell you it was legal for on-road use? Did they say it's probably OK? Did they say it is NOT legal to use on a "highway"?
He's in Taiwan now. The MVA doesn't apply to him there.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
RS Peace Officer

I guess my daily incidentals of about $100 a day and Fed Gov hotel rates would not cover my trip there.....but his question about engine swaps in Van probably had some local interest.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
i guess my question is, is it actually legal? or ok to modified and engine swap a vehicle in Vancouver (Canada)?
Engine swaps are actually quite common here, and in most of North America. I don't know if it's as common in the performance car world, but with older Jeeps especially, engine upgrades are very popular - going from the stock 2.5L four-banger to something in a V6, V8, or even a small diesel, is done regularly.

Quote:
In very general terms, IF you modify stock vehicles/equipment, the replacement parts must be equal to the ones you are removing...AND must meet federal standards. Aftermarket HID replacement "kits" are not legal, removing shocks & springs to replace them with airbags, overwattage headlight bulbs, spring chopping that makes your car lower than the rims, exhaust systems that remove factory cats etc are, in general terms not legal.
I don't know what the regs or inspection manual have to say about it, but I know plenty of guys who have been handed VIs for their built rigs (usually things like tires sticking out too far, no mudflaps, uncovered light bars) and had to fix all kinds of "major" things like replacing the sway bars they removed, cracked frames, rusted bodies, electrical/lighting gremlins... and not once have I heard of anyone being dinged for not having the original engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #15
RS Peace Officer

I believe that raising or lowering vehicle
Height by more than 10cms requires a mandatory inspection.

Last edited by zulutango; 03-09-2016 at 08:17 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #16

Quote:
[/U][/I][/B]

Most of those stores now have disclaimers stating that what they are selling may not be legal to be used on the street. So basically, if you still buy from them, you've been warned not to use it on the street.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #17
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
[/U][/I][/B]

There are no labels or anything that states off road use only, and there are absolutely no measurements of "loud" in terms of exhaust noise, some factory scooter makes way more sound with their little motor..

The thing is, these huge malls are properly registered and are legal to operate, sell, install for their customers, however, nothing is guaranteed to be ok when you get busted on the road, even if you get them installed and paid taxes at a legal store.. I'm actually running a fan site about trying to legalize some modifications here in Taiwan, especially when we get cars that dont come with enough safety equipments on the car such as VDC, TCS etc.

The worse thing is that we get undercover cops coming into local hellaflush meets to video tape cars and mail out tickets afterwards.. just fishy!

honestly, when I was drove there for the 5-6 years, I had my car cambered out for that hellaflush look, I only got busted twice, one for a JIC single exhaust that idled way too loud, the other one was me being a little kid chasing after super cars at night and got spotted. Now, i get stopped and looked at by cops as if im criminals just cause i drive an EJ8 civic coupe, and this car is suppose to draw less attention compare to an impreza or EKs..

Just prejudice man.. this society
Old 03-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #18

Quote:
There are no labels or anything that states off road use only, and there are absolutely no measurements of "loud" in terms of exhaust noise, some factory scooter makes way more sound with their little motor..
A lot of shops here either have a sign or a disclaimer on the receipts to that effect.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #19
I subscribe to Revscene

I'm trying to think of other industries where retailers are permitted to sell equipment that's illegal to use...

Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #20
I don't get it

Have a read here........ it's American EPA but our government would probably follow along.

How One Proposed EPA Regulation Could Destroy Racing
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2016, 04:31 AM   #21
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I'm trying to think of other industries where retailers are permitted to sell equipment that's illegal to use...

How about all those hydroponic shops selling extremely expensive gear, lights etc to grow tomatoes ?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #22
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
How about all those hydroponic shops selling extremely expensive gear, lights etc to grow tomatoes ?
Because the hydroponic equipment is for growing tomatoes, a perfectly legal activity. The illegal headlights are being sold for installation on a car which will inevitably be used on-road. Not legal.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #23
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

There is a reason most all aftermarket parts here say " off road use only " lol
Flatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Because the hydroponic equipment is for growing tomatoes, a perfectly legal activity. The illegal headlights are being sold for installation on a car which will inevitably be used on-road. Not legal.
The headlights are completely legal to use off road, so it's not different than the "tomato" lights.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The headlights are completely legal to use off road, so it's not different than the "tomato" lights.
Sure, but who buys a HID retrofit kit to use exclusively off-road?