REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Consumer watchdog sounds alarm on extended auto loans

And now for a 'no shit Sherlock' article

From CBC

Quote:
Canadians are increasingly buying too much car and paying for it with loans that extend for six, seven and eight years, according to a federal consumer watchdog.

For many, that means high interest charges that increase the cost of the car and put consumers at risk of credit default, said Lucie Tedesco, commissioner of the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada.

Canadians brought home 1.9 million new vehicles in 2015, a record sales number.

But those record sales, as well as the trend to larger SUVs and pickup trucks, have been financed with extended auto loans, the FCAC said in a research report issued Tuesday.

The traditional term for auto loans is about five years.

But since 2010, consumers have increasingly opted for six, seven and eight-year loans.

Buying more car or truck

"The monthly payments on extended-term loans for more expensive vehicles are often roughly the same as those for economy-class vehicles financed over conventional terms," FCAC said in its report.

So consumers can buy more car or truck if they extend payments over a longer period.

Long-term car loans constitute approximately 60 per cent of the car loan portfolios of Canada's largest financial institutions, FCAC found.

And because autos depreciate in value so quickly, the outstanding balance on the loan outstrips the value of the vehicle, often for several years. This is called negative equity.

When consumers have negative equity in the car and want to trade it in for something newer, they may face tighter credit terms and higher borrowing costs. FCAC said this is not sustainable, for either the consumers or the lenders.

"Consumers put themselves in the position of having to roll the debt owing on the long-term loan into the loan for the purchase of the new vehicle, thereby potentially stepping onto an auto-debt treadmill," Tedesco warns.

She urged consumers to educate themselves about the full interest costs they would pay during the length of the loan and to consider their own overall debt costs each month.

The Canadian Automobile Dealers' Association responded to the report by agreeing that loan terms are longer, but pointing out the low default rate on auto loans.

Dealership association responds

"Our low-rate environment means much auto debt is financed at zero per cent. In that context, it is a fully rational choice on the part of the consumer to extend the length of the loan," CADA economist Michael Hatch said in an email statement.

The association also took issue with parts of the FCAC report that describe how dealers act as intermediaries between the consumer and the lender, presenting loans to consumers from lenders that offer a percentage to the dealership.

The value of the auto loan financing market has doubled to $120 billion annually in the past eight years and it can be a very competitive business.

But CADA said dealers arrange for the best financing options for their customers and they always have options.

FCAC points to the rise of non-prime lending — loans to people who would not otherwise get credit.

Approximately one-quarter of Canada's auto finance market is non-prime, meaning very high borrowing costs. The people affected are often younger consumers or new Canadians.
Here is a link to the research report

---
I know people who have done this. They didn't want to listen.

Advertisement
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Ditto

I have never had an auto loan. Every car I've ever bought has been purchased with my own money.

Like I tell my friends who ask me for advice, the thing better damn well be worth more than you owe on it when it gets written off or traded in, as mentioned in the article (negative equity).

One of my friends, back when we just got out of high school, bought a new Pontiac Sunfire, financed it with no money down over the longest term possible. He wrote it off a couple of years later and, given the depreciation and accumulated interest, he still owed several thousand on the loan after the ICBC settlement. He was forced to take out another loan ($10k) to pay off the remaining debt and purchase another vehicle (an early 90s truck). Basically just got himself into huge financial trouble because he had the loan payments of a new car paired with the reliability and ownership costs of a 15-year-old Chevy truck (which was a complete POS).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
I'm tempted to finance a vehicle every so often, but then I remember my friend who financed a used car a couple years back and has effectively only paid off the taxes and fees so far. Now he wants to sell it but the car is worth less than what he still has owning on it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I usually am tempted to buy another car after a year or two!

Thank God I don't buy new cars
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Brb, checking the fine print on my new car replacement policy...
Old 03-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

only fools fall for that low/no interest rate advertisement. You lose more compared to cash incentives long run.

Which leads to another problem, people using their home equity (since house prices gone up) to buy cars using "cash." I hear HELOC debts are very high too.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #7

Thanked 1,719 Times in 890 Posts
Man I see all these people who have car payments bounce and icbc bounce and somehow they still feel entitled that they need a new car
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
If your smart you dont buy used. Let other people take the hit of massive depreciation and you pick it up after when its a far more reasonable price.

Or go into debt for no good reason and stay behind the 8 ball just so you can drive new.....working with new cars I see it all the time. People debating if they can afford the lowest payment over 8 years......just stupid.

I have used my LOC to purchase cars before but then there paid of in the matter of a couple months so the interest is so low it really is insignificant.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #9

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
It's almost a catch 22. Non-Prime clients are pretty short-sighted from what I've seen. Dangle a set of keys in front of them and they'll sign anything. They are payment driven which is why the marketing dynamic is built the way it is. "For less than a cup of coffee per day you can have this........." Little do they realize that the term and interest rate buries them right from day one. Combine this with pushy and flat out lying salesman and you have a recipe for disaster. Sales is sales and they are there to make money so the "truth" can get clouded.

Classic pitch: Take this car at a high interest rate with the guarantee that you can refinance in 1 year at a lower rate. What isn't mentioned is that you need to return that car, take a massive depreciation hit, bury that negative equity into a new car deal and off you go. Now you owe $30K+ on something that's worth $20K on day one. Yeah, good move

For prime clients, they have more options available to them and are usually in a better financial position. Low interest HELOC's with open payback terms are an easy way to keep your running capital free and not be subject to a vehicle financeers terms of payback. Sometimes a 0% loan makes sense if your income is stable. You usually end up paying full price for the car though. Cash deals with no financing needed boasts the best chance at negotiating a better price. Some people would just rather have a monthly payment and swap cars every 3 to 4 years. Nothing wong with that if the money you are borrowing is essentially free. It's a loan with interest and clients extending the term to save a few bucks per month that can create the problem. Short-sightedness in full effect. But again, it really depends on what means more to you. Monthly expense or total cash paid overall. Usually the latter is a concern for financially stable people while the monthly payment is the selling point for non-prime clients.

It's a cyclical business. Lenders get into non-prime lending, enjoy the high interest rate profits, then start to get burned by clients that DGAF, and begin experiencing losses on those assets once repossessed, then they back out for a while.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I don't think there's a problem with financing a new car or buying used. Personally, even with zero percent, I would never go above 4 years for financing a car (5 if it was my dream car). If you had to go 6+ to afford it, you probably cannot afford it.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
one way to fix this kind of crap is to educate grade 10's useful math like 'how interest rates work' not friken filling out a 100 page binder about what careers are best for you based on personality or when two trains will meet if one train leaves new york and the other leaves LA ...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
one way to fix this kind of crap is to educate grade 10's useful math like 'how interest rates work' not friken filling out a 100 page binder about what careers are best for you based on personality or when two trains will meet if one train leaves new york and the other leaves LA ...
QFT man. The number of ppl without basic finance knowledge is too damn high.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
A valid idea, but even if they did most people would have forgotten 5 or so years later when they go to finance a car. Maybe instead of blaming the education system we should hold grown ass adults responsible for being too lazy to learn how the math works on the loan for tens of thousands of dollars that they're going to be paying for over the next several years.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
Buying a new car at zero percent is totally fine if, like said above, you are stable and just plain enjoy buying a new car every once and a while. Especially since once it's paid off it's yours to do what you will (trade up to another new car using that equity or keep a nice 4-5 year old car with no payments). It's the 8 year long, diesel, dually, truck loans to a young kid that doesn't even know why he is buying a diesel or dually in the first place (just cuz his friends have said it's cooler than a used Taco) that really jars me. *see Alberta used truck ads, full of ass backwards car loans from guys trying to get out
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote