REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Revscene Car Review: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport S

When you hear the word Jeep, naturally the Wrangler will come to mind. This iconic symbol of the brand has see its share of improvements and adjustments through out the years, let’s take a look to see what the 2016 model year has to bring to this ready to play, straight out of the box off roader. The tester we got from Jeep is a Sport S, second on the model line up but it does come pack with some amazing features and options such but not limited to as limited slip rear differential, upgraded audio package, some chunky 17” off road tires. It also seems to be the most popular model as it doesn’t include anything you won’t need.

At the heart of the Wrangler is Chrysler’s latest Pentastar v6, this engine is now widely used in their brand and it’s impressive. This 3.6 litre v6 is putting out 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque it’s no slouch, its able to propel this 4000 lb truck from 0 - 100 km/h in 6.6 seconds. Unlike the 4 cylinder Wrangler of the past, it can now speed up and reach high way speeds much quicker and is able to pass other vehicles with ease, as torque is available through out the rev range. As you dip in to the throttle you are welcomed with a gracious sound of the v6 waking up, it’s no muscle car but it does sound throaty. One thing that does let it down is the pedal itself, it seems that drive by wire system still needs some calibration as it does take a second for the engine to realize what’s going on. Partnering up with the lazy transmission kick downs does take a second or two as the transmission hunts for the correct gearing for the application at hand. But do watch out how hard you apply the throttle, once the engine picks up it gets pretty thirsty, during the week with the vehicle it provided 15L / 100km which is slightly worse than the EPA rating, but still very reasonable for a vehicle of this size and power.

As it is a body on frame truck, it does roll more than your average car based suv. In addition to more roll the steering has a vague on centre feel, and driving down the highway can be numb. There are a couple attributing factors such as the big off road tires and the suspension, these do help the vehicle conquer during off road scenarios which is its main goal. With the Command Trac 4x4 system, it does feature shift of the fly 4WD, and it even has a 4 low gear for those sticky bit. A feature that’s optional is the downhill assist, it’s able to lock the vehicle in gear and maintain a walking pace down steep gradients without driver input.

Outside the box, quite literally in this case, is the Wrangler’s plastic fender arches and big metal bumpers. Built in mind for off road use these pieces are tuff and can be taking off and replaced if needed while protecting the body work. The tester also got tasteful upgrades to spruce up the exterior with the Mopar appearance group which includes tubular side steps, fuel filler door and taillamp guards. The side step is more rock slider then side steps, as the step itself relatively high and its just inches off the frame of the truck making them not that useful unless what you wanted was mud on your pants every time you get in and out of the truck. Moving to the back of the truck is where we find the soft top, this soft top mechanism could be a two person job, it’s tricky to fold down and requires much more than your average convertible top. There’s a few pieces that needs to be removed before the frame itself can roll back and fold neatly just behind the rear seats. That being said the soft top is thin, so sounds can pass through making the cabin a bit louder then comparable hard top variants. 

Looking inside the wrangler we have a few nice touches, the seats are supportive and tall providing a commanding view to the outside and gives the driver a higher point of view. The dash is simple and laid out logically, everything is where you would naturally find. The odd piece would be the steering wheel. There’s a total of 16 buttons, on the back side of the wheel there are 3 of each side to control the radio functions, on the left to control the vehicle information and bluetooth and the right for cruise control. The buttons them selves lack any feel so it’s hard to know which button is which unless you look down and see, but they are lighted which is a nice touch at night. Speaking of the radio, the audio system is the upgraded Alpine unit. It features bluetooth streaming, satellite radio, 8 speakers and an all weather subwoofer just behind the rear seats. This system is more than enough for a vehicle of this size and the subwoofer is able to hit the deeper notes and even shake the car a bit.

At the end of the day this Wrangler has much better manners then any previous models, it has a much better on road feel while still giving you off road capability unlike any other. It’s not designed to be a daily driver however it certain can be while being comfortable for longer trips. With the soft top, open air concept of the vehicle can be entertaining and fun to drive as you seek your next off road adventure. This Jeep has reworked the image of Wranglers of the past, by providing an amazing driving experience it will put a smile on your face as you drive.

Exterior 7/10
Interior 7/10
Tech
 6/10
Powertrain 8/10
Noise 6/10
Economy 6/10

Overall 40/60

Words and Photos by: Jimmy Mak
Advertisement
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

Thanked 4,186 Times in 392 Posts
When I think of Wrangler, I think of dodge caravan with solid axles haha.

1989Toyota Supra-Garage Queen
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs- R.I.P
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon- work in progess
tee-tea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Well it does have the same engine!
Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
when i hear jeep , i think of cherokee and the time she showed me a good time

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,153 Posts
You trying to steal Lomac's schtick? Thanks for the review though! Would appreciate more about the driving behaviour and impressions rather than just an overview of the vehicle.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
You trying to steal Lomac's schtick? Thanks for the review though! Would appreciate more about the driving behaviour and impressions rather than just an overview of the vehicle.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll include more of that in the next write up.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Media Officer / MOD

A bit late, but here's a quick video of a bunch of noobs going off road,

This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,153 Posts
Where was that? Looks fun!
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Where was that? Looks fun!
Triangle Road behind No. 6 Road Silvercity, its Pretty fun for something thats so close to town.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,248 Posts
I took a BMW x1 up that hill in muddy weather...

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote