REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Poly b piping

So many homes from the 80s to the 90s use these poly b piping, and the water reacts with the material causing leaks, so they say.

Post 90s they use copper joints which helps a bit, and I've heard it's all about how well it's install too.

My home has this just wondering if anyone else does and if any problem with it?
Advertisement
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
its not so much the piping but the joints that experience erosion

Also, all the materials are not created equal lol.. some batches have the compounds which are susceptible to erosion, while others do not.

I attended a seminar on this subject a few years back, i forget most of the details but i could probably dig up some of the material.

Basically, it was a major problem in the states due to a large amount of the shotty product going there from China etc. Canada it was a lot more hit and miss.

Problem is, if it all starts to go, then you're in pretty deep. Otherwise, i think it would be far cheaper to just fix problems as they arise, if at all then go out of your way to replace the whole system.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Mine does and no, no problems, yet, unless you count not being able to get insurance coverage should there be a leak. But you can bet as soon as any renovations happen in the basement, the ceiling's coming down and the whole house is getting re-piped.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I disclosed it to td insurance company and there was still no premium.

That's good to hear. Fingers cross
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
I don't get it

I have poly b in my heating system with baseboard heaters. Luckily the only poly b that was used is embedded into the floor where it is the return line from the far end of the house to the boiler. The problem with poly b is that it allowed oxygen to enter into the water system and rusted out the boiler. The rust was so bad that I had 2 plugged return lines out of three. I was able to clear one of them with air pressure and a plumbers snake. The quest fittings are questionable too, mine leaked and damaged the drywall. My neighbour wasn't so lucky, he spent piles of money replacing walls and floors after it leaked while they were away.

My insurance company never refused to insure me either.

I got tired of replacing pumps and clearing the lines so I had a heat exchanger put in along with a new boiler. Now the oxygen is kept away from the boiler and hopefully no more problems.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #6
My name is ANDREW

As long as the poly b hasn't been exposed to any light you should be ok. its always good to double check though.

to be safe, i would eventually swap it all out to pex.

poly b is no longer available and illegal to install.
1mcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote