REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

New Windows 10 Clean install?

Thinking of getting a new PC and doing a clean install of windows 10.

I downloaded the Media Creation Tool from MS website, and on their website it says I need to activate W10 by entering a valid W7/W8/W10 product key.
Quote:
If you haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 yet and perform a clean installation, you’ll need to enter a qualifying product key for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 or buy a license in order to activate Windows 10.
Does anyone know if I can use the OEM key found on the back of my laptop sticker to activate it? (Is an old broken laptop from 8 years back, came w/ W7 pro)

I don't want to do all the fresh installation and turns out the key doesn't work.

A bit OT question too...should I even bother with W10? I actually like W7, it does everything I need. I tried W8 and hated it so much. It is faster but the interface was annoying.
Just thought eventually W7 will get phased out so might as well do the ugprade now.
Advertisement
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Windows has a reset all option that wipes it clean. If it's an OEM installed os I'm not too sure what happens if it re-inserts the bloat or not. I tried this once on my laptop that I upgraded from 7 to 10. I got an error message before it started the wipe but I haven't really troubleshooted it.

Also, if you get a PC from the MS store, it comes without bloat if it says signature edition.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

no, I am going to build a new PC from parts.

OT again, but recommendation for mobo btw?
CPU: i5-6600 ($300)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB ($120)
Ram: 2x8GB ($85)
Vid: EVGA GTX 960 4GB ($280)
Case: Fractal Design R4 ($100)
PSU: ? something 500w
Mobo: ? something $100-$150? no oc
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Got MOD?

Yes. If you used the media creation tool within the last few months it will have the correct version that will accept any legit win7/8 key. I just tried using a Toshiba Win7 Pro key on my dell and it activated just fine.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote