REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #26
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Just called brendan. Earliest available around april 20, maybe sooner if lucky but he has exams. Apparently he's in school with his own full business! sounds quite successful too.

But I might want to do it myself sooner. Still undecided..
Advertisement
clevernickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #27
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I used to detail the car twice a year - once in spring and once in fall. Now it's down to once every 2 years. I just don't have the time to do a 2 stage polish, glaze, LSP that often. Nor can my body handle being hunched over a car for a whole day anymore. Plus, the car is 10+ years old - so many dents, pitting and deep scratches that even with a whole day of work will not get it to anything close to it's former glory.

Maybe I'll probably give it a good detail when it comes time to sell it.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Do it yourself, it's really hard to mess up with random orbital buffers like the porter cable. If you're paying $500 for someone to do it, might as well spend that $500 on the supplies to detail it.

Plus, it'll last a long while, and you're able to detail whenever you want and as many cars as you like. You could also detail a car or 2 on the side for your buddies to cover your costs.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
I am always in the do it yourself camp. Use to wash and wax my own car.

And than life creeped up on me. Working average 80 hour weeks, got another car that need constantly tinkering. I don't even get to cut my hair every month sometimes not to mention spending a whole day washing my car.

Now when I do have time for my cars, I have to make the decision whether i want to spent it wrenching or washing. Wrenching always wins. Beside I can wrench on my car in any weather inside my garage, can't say the same for detailing. It feels like Getting a day off on a sunny day, is like winning the lottery.

My cars are now always dirty and the paint job could use some serious love. Can anyone recommend a mobile detailer that doesn't charge 500$? I need like minimal to no paint correction, just someone the take the time to detail inside outside put on a new shiny coat of wax while i'm slaving away at my job.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
+1 for these new "nanocoatings" such as ceramic pro and opticoat, the shit is AMAZING.

I will have the NSX coated after it's done at the body shop, black paint is the perfect excuse to use these products, you will never have to touch your car with a mitt, just rinse off and gently pat/wipe dry, clean, no swirls, superior finish quality.

IMO these new coating products have completely changed the detailing game, now you only need to get your shit polished once every few years, waxing isn't worth the time/effort.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2016, 08:00 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
+1 for these new "nanocoatings" such as ceramic pro and opticoat, the shit is AMAZING.

I will have the NSX coated after it's done at the body shop, black paint is the perfect excuse to use these products, you will never have to touch your car with a mitt, just rinse off and gently pat/wipe dry, clean, no swirls, superior finish quality.

IMO these new coating products have completely changed the detailing game, now you only need to get your shit polished once every few years, waxing isn't worth the time/effort.
recommendation where to get these coating? sound perfect for non car washer like myself
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:50 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,148 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:

Where are you thinking of getting yours done? I've got quote from 600-1800
2001 Nissan R34 Skyline GTR V spec 2

IG: Cw_unit

輝く ヘタクソの星 - 柒撚懵懵食甜筒
C-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:15 AM   #33

Actually i might get side stripes on my car so maybe no opticoat.

Brendan washes the car outdoors. I'm a bit new to the detailing scene but isn't that usually something you shouldn't do?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:37 AM   #34
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Nah, I gotta do it myself. The satisfaction is worth it to me. But I only do a full detail once a year during late spring/early summer. After that, I just use Meguiar's quik detailer and wipe my car down every few days until around late fall. Then I just let my car look like a dirty rally car throughout winter. lol
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:38 AM   #35
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevernickname View Post

Brendan washes the car outdoors. I'm a bit new to the detailing scene but isn't that usually something you shouldn't do?
i'm missing something.... i've never washed a car indoors before. i wish i could though.

also what is the problem with sealing vinyl stripes with opticoat?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:39 AM   #36
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-unit View Post
Where are you thinking of getting yours done? I've got quote from 600-1800
holy crap have prices gone up that much? two years ago it cost me something like $700-ish with all the paint correction that needed to be done. it took a two man crew two days to complete.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I'd love to try the nanocoating I've been hearing a lot about. This guy does some good work so I've heard: https://www.facebook.com/Prestige-Au...2533390152201/
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #38
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevernickname View Post

the myth is not to wash in the direct sun light..
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #39

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Regarding the cost of nanocoatings, if you want it done right you're essentially paying for a full correction + nanocoating application.

I would estimate a cost of 600-1200 depending on where you go, some detailers work on rich douche cars all day and can get away with charging 1800$, I think most will be closer to the 600-1000 mark depending on the state of you vehicle.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #40
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Funny this came up, I detailed my own car today.
While it looks worlds better, its no where near as good as a professional can do. I think its smart to make the decision depending on how far gone your paint is. I can make good paint look better, but I sure as shit can't make bad paint look great. My car could definitely use a pro detail, but I'll wait until I move and have indoor parking.
I spent 3.5 hours on the exterior, and didn't even get the bumpers done. It was more for fun on a beautiful midweek day off though.
I call BS. I drive by your car all the time and see my stupid face reflecting off the paint just prior to almost rear ending the car infront of me. It's glossy clean.

I wash my own car. Wax and detail. But I agree, it's not a professional job but that's ok. I don't own a show car, they get driven.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
holy crap have prices gone up that much? two years ago it cost me something like $700-ish with all the paint correction that needed to be done. it took a two man crew two days to complete.
I had my truck done by Ken at autowerkes in September 2014. Cquartz finest I believe it was $650 with a light polish beforehand. I looked at the website now and it's $1195 for my size vehicle.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #42

Yeah supposedly can't wash in direct sunlight or the water and soap might dry out causing water spots. Easier in shade.

I can't opticoat yet cause I don't have the side stripes yet lol. When I get them then yeah I could. But it is still pretty expensive.

Last edited by clevernickname; 04-01-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #43

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
^ water spots just wash off when you do the final rinse and dry

It's just more annoying when you get to the sun side of the car and you need to keep wetting that side because the layer of water keeps evaporating.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

I got my car detailed at glossworks, Terence did an excellent job polishing the swirl marks. His work is meticulous and easy guy to deal with.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 AM   #45

Thanked 1,191 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:

When you say rinse off, are you talking about a hands free car wash? or taking your garden hose to rinse?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:32 AM   #46

Thanks fatalcloud. Got it detailed at project detail and it turned out great. All shiny. Super nice guy.

Might do it myself next time but been too busy lately.
This post thanked by: