REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Simple question regarding seats

Is it legal to have the passenger seat removed? as long as seat belts are intact?
Advertisement
matteblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If it is not being occupied I can't see a problem. Just being curious, why did you remove it? Is is a temporary thing or a long term plan?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Why would you still need seat belts, if the seat is removed?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Because maybe he plans on putting it back later?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Well I am wondering because the car in question in a dedicated build geared for autocross only, and just unbolting a seat all the time get to be a pain in the rear. Hence why I asked, but also the question in regards to seat-belts, is a few times I have heard that even though if you remove your rear seats the seat-belts must remain intact with the car. Wondering if the same applied to the front seats.
matteblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

Missing seat and/or seatbelt components may muck with the airbag system.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:10 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Why not take a look at the provincial inspection manual? That might give you more info. You cannot remove doors or hoods but I'm not aware of anything in the act/regs that require seats if they are not being used. This is what the regs say..

Drivers' seats and belts
30 The driver's seat of a motor vehicle shall be tightly secured to the floor of the vehicle and shall be adequate to comfortably seat the driver in such a manner that he may safely operate the vehicle.

A vehicle to which section 220 of the Act applies shall be equipped with safety belts of a type set out in section 7.13 of the regulations.
Safety belts shall be available, be in good condition, and the belt buckle shall be in good working order.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

I looked into this when I autocrossed my old car. If the car will still be used on the highways (MVA definition), it requires all factory installed safety equipment, which means seatbelts. There is no mention of seats, so I left the rear seat out when heading to Pitt Meadows.

If you want to make it a truly dedicated auto-x car, there is tons of weight savings you can do if you don't care about which category you race in and won't be driving it on the highways. You'd be trailering that thing around though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Because if the vehicle is used on the highways, you're required to have all factory-installed safety equipment (airbags, seatbelts, the bumper stuff underneath the outer facia, etc).
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo

Last edited by sho_bc; 04-06-2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: clarifying the extra weight savings bit
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: