REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Panama Papers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708350-panama-papers.html)

Digitalis 04-04-2016 07:55 AM

The Panama Papers

Discuss :nyan::nyan::nyan:
Somebody's gonna get hurt reeeeeal bad!

plat27265 04-04-2016 08:29 AM

I like exposes like this one. Time for those corrupt bastards to be revealed. I will sit back, relax and enjoy the show. Life is a circus.

StylinRed 04-04-2016 08:33 AM

Heard about it last night, 11 million documents leaked wow! They must've pisses someone off royally, not the least bit surprised that it goes on though, we're always hearing about things like this (kpmg recently)

Spoon 04-04-2016 08:44 AM

Let me know when something happens as a result of this. ResidentSleeper

originalhypa 04-04-2016 08:47 AM

This is a crazy story. Vladdy Putin, The king of Sweden, and the family of a Liberal MLA are all involved in this.

I wonder how many folks named are owners of real estate in the lower mainland?

BrokeBack

Digitalis 04-04-2016 08:50 AM

If you think executions in China arn't happening due to this then go back to sleep
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8743991)
Let me know when something happens as a result of this. ResidentSleeper

ae101 04-04-2016 09:35 AM

^
as for some one living in China right now, this story will be gone super fast

i bet the Chinese government is already making another cover this one lol

pastarocket 04-04-2016 10:02 AM

Hmmm, I wonder if The Donald uses that Panama bank to hide his money. :troll:

Trump hides his millions in shell companies in Panama? :lawl:

jasonturbo 04-04-2016 10:27 AM

Welcome to the entire banking sector in Panama and the single biggest driver of the local economy.

Verdasco 04-04-2016 12:06 PM

lmao lionel messi and jackie chan basically fucked.

moreso to lionel imo, sponsorship deals etc

maybe jail time but i doubt it, prob new laws to prevent this from happening.

6o4__boi 04-04-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8744068)
lmao lionel messi and jackie chan basically fucked.

moreso to lionel imo, sponsorship deals etc

maybe jail time but i doubt it, prob new laws to prevent this from happening.

doubt it...Messi's already in trouble along with his dad for tax evasion in Barcelona and that hasn't even put a dent in his image
Plus he's got FCB and its infinite oil money sheikh's on his side as long as he stays a world-class player for them which he looks to be for at least a few more years.

Jackie Chan will probably blame his junkie kid or something :lawl:

Someone brought it up in the comments, interesting news but it seems like it hasn't picked up much steam in North America yet.

pastarocket 04-04-2016 12:49 PM

One Vancouver man is among the 350 Canadians named in the Panama Papers.

MMA trainer Dave Fesser. Who? He's not anonymous anymore. :lawl:

One dude, Eric Nguyen, invested in penny stocks. :fuckthatshit:

-Georgia Straight article:

Vancouver man among first Canadians named in Panama Papers leak of offshore-banking information | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

A Vancouver man is among 350 Canadians named in a massive leak of financial records belonging to people who use a Panamanian law firm named Mossack Fonseca, which specializes in offshore-banking.

According to the Toronto Star, a mixed-martial arts trainer named Dave Feser used Mossack Fonseca to “register an anonymous corporation in British Anguilla”.

Feser has not been accused of any wrongdoing. The use of an offshore bank is not illegal and does not necessarily suggest someone is committing a crime. However, legal firms like Mossack Fonseca can be used to help individuals and corporations hide money from governments that might otherwise have a right to claim taxes on it.

The Star article naming Feser is the first of what the newspaper has said will be a series based on 38 years of banking files that were leaked to a German newspaper named Süddeutsche Zeitung.

Dubbed the “Panama Papers”, the leak was subsequently shared with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, which counts the Star as well as CBC News among its members.

The leak consists of 2.6 terabytes of information consisting of 11.5 million documents. In addition to the 350 Canadians, individuals identified as having used Mossack Fonseca’s services include 12 current or former heads of state and many more close associates of world leaders like Russian President Vladimir Putin. There are 26 Forbes-listed billionares on the list.

The Star’s first article based on the papers focuses on how Canadians are using offshore banking to avoid paying their full tax burden. “Obscured by figurehead directors, untraceable money transfers and anonymous company ownerships, these Canadians paid for the secrecy promised by Mossack Fonseca, a Panamanian law firm renowned internationally for establishing shell companies,” it reads.

The other Canadians the Star has named so far are Chuck Furey, a former Newfoundland cabinet minister; Eric Levine, a fitness-club operator; Brian Shamess, a sports physician; Eric Ngyuen, an investor who has focused on penny stocks; and John Wright, a mutual broker. The Star has also noted the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) and its subsidiaries have 378 shell companies listed in the Mossack Fonseca data. RBC has denied any wrongdoing.

A Star editorial explains why the newspaper has chosen to publish information contained in the leak.

“The Star and our partners, including France’s Le Monde, Britain’s Guardian and the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, are publishing this material not because we believe something illegal is happening, but because we think Canadians should know about how the elite hide and shelter so much money,” it reads. “The rich get to play by different rules than the rest of us. We should all know about this unfairness.

StylinRed 04-04-2016 01:06 PM

David Cameron's (PM of UK) father, a company tied to North Koreas Nuclear programme, etc etc etc... The CIA probably leaked this and vetted it first

Verdasco 04-04-2016 02:22 PM

best news from all this

jackie chans son is a junkie and served 6 months in jail

LOL

StylinRed 04-04-2016 03:19 PM

So Jurgen Mossacks father was an SS officer who took off to Panama and worked with the CIA to spy on Cuba... hmm https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCrgen_Mossack

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8744114)
best news from all this

jackie chans son is a junkie and served 6 months in jail

LOL

Old news, he wasn't just a junkie he supplied the other young actors with their drugs

originalhypa 04-04-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8744137)
So Jurgen Mossacks father was an SS officer who took off to Panama and worked with the CIA to spy on Cuba... hmm

So you're saying......

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/51668214.jpg

I think that people are going to realize that to be incredibly wealthy like these folks, you're going to have to either inherit it, or be a horrible person yourself.

The Mr burns stereotype may not be far off.

Digitalis 04-04-2016 04:49 PM

What cracks me up is how they are trying sooo desperately to link Putin to this.

StylinRed 04-04-2016 06:00 PM

Yeah, when I read about this in the early am, the BBC noted some American businessman/woman who are implicated, but on CNN they claim no Americans are connected

And no one's really mentioning David Cameron, etc etc. It's just all Putin, Putin, Putin... oh wait, Putin's acquaintance's ;)

Digitalis 04-04-2016 06:42 PM

This is starting to stink, 400 journalists or agencies working for months on this with no leaks? Making out 2 billion to be such a big deal when the derivative market is 10000x as big of a fraud.
Limiting data coming out and selectively burning people and not others?
If this wasn't meant to be manipulated then you put the data out there and let the public make up their mind, not cherry pick what serves your purpose.

Seems like they are burning some low level people like madoff to distract and take the real heat off the big boys.

SkinnyPupp 04-04-2016 07:05 PM

Bernie brought this up years ago when the trade agreement was going through

Naturally, it still went through because the people in power are the ones involved in this shit

Panama Papers: Obama, Clinton Pushed Trade Deal Amid Warnings It Would Make Money Laundering, Tax Evasion Worse

Please America, elect this man!

Here's Hilary's take on the agreement:

"Taken together, these initiatives are the leading edge of a job-creating trade agenda that will open markets, level the playing field for our businesses and workers, and champion America's working families in an age of tough global competition. They deserve the historic and widespread support they received in Congress tonight. We will continue our work to rebuild an American consensus on trade."

Blah blah blah, what bullshit WutFace

Y2K_o__o 04-04-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8744191)
Yeah, when I read about this in the early am, the BBC noted some American businessman/woman who are implicated, but on CNN they claim no Americans are connected

And no one's really mentioning David Cameron, etc etc. It's just all Putin, Putin, Putin... oh wait, Putin's acquaintance's ;)

Technically his father was involved where he emphasized anti corruption during the vote, but you're right.. Putin x 999 really cracks me up...........

Those shouldn't be considered as journalist / agents... they should be be called "spy" when they can work as a team nights and days for MONTHS across the globe without any leaks

Y2K_o__o 04-04-2016 08:26 PM

Some good bed time reading

Panama Papers: This is the leak

Hehe 04-04-2016 08:35 PM

With everything going the way of digitalization, things like this are bound to happen.

My parents actual dealt with the firm when they were looking for someone to help them to maximize their tax efficiency. Upon hearing that they have gone fully digital (mind you, this was all the way back in 2003), my dad, being a risk/tech-averse person on this topic insisted on finding a firm that deals in paper&ink.

Now it turns out to be a good move. :D

For what's worth though, although the news is mainly targeting big names like Messi, Puttin and/or famous elites from other countries, setting up structure like this is something everyone should do once their income start to deviate from wage-only. You don't need to be elite or a millionaire to be looking for this kind of service.

After all, it's just not morally acceptable. But I highly doubt they would be able to make many cases to held in court. These people are paid to make it legit, and they are the finest at it.

CP.AR 04-04-2016 09:47 PM

where's CiC?

underscore 04-04-2016 10:23 PM

So has anyone found anything in this that shows any of these people have done anything illegal? Or is it all just "they used a service that has the potential to be used for illegal purposes"?