REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 04-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Photo Organization Software?

All the photos on my computer hard drive are totally disorganized. Roughly 600Gb in total, including RAWs, PSDs, and JPGs.

To date, I have simply been dumping my new photos into folders when I pull them off the SD card, using the Apple "Preview" feature built into Finder to view the images.... but even on my brand new $4300 MacBook Pro, loading each RAW image takes a few seconds using Preview, which really sucks when looking through 300+ photos.

I haven't gone the Lightroom route because I use Photoshop for photo editing.. I am very familiar with PS because I use it for work, and all my plugins/presets are configured in Photoshop, so I would like to continue doing so.

Suggestions for software / apps / tools to organize photos? iPhoto sucks and is dead anyway... haven't used the new Photos app... hoping there's something better out there.

Thanks in advance dudes.
Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,181 Posts
If you use PS, what are you waiting to try Lightroom?

It takes a shit load of time off your workflow. I went from organizing in folders to LR, and never looked back.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
If you use PS, what are you waiting to try Lightroom?

It takes a shit load of time off your workflow. I went from organizing in folders to LR, and never looked back.
Haven't switched to Lightroom because I have PS configured to my liking, and I'm very familiar with it thanks to many years of graphic design.

I was assuming that using Lightroom to organize photos = using Lightroom to edit them... I'd prefer to stick with PS for editing.

Or are you suggesting I get LR for organizing and continue using PS for editing?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,181 Posts
LR doesn't replace PS. LR has something called "Edit in..." which seamlessly transfer what you see/have in LR to PS so you can start working right away on PS. It doesn't interfere with PS whatsoever.

The part of LR saving time on workflow is that there are many things that you do in PS, LR can do it with same or even greater results within a few clicks or moving switches... or tedious stuff like merging for pano or HDR, all done in LR with very good results in seconds.

LR has actually become so powerful that I rarely touch PS anymore. The only time I do open in PS is when I want to add/remove stuff that cannot be done in LR and that's very rare. From the record of my mac, the last time I opened PS was 2 month ago and it wasn't even for photo editing.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
LR doesn't replace PS. LR has something called "Edit in..." which seamlessly transfer what you see/have in LR to PS so you can start working right away on PS. It doesn't interfere with PS whatsoever.

The part of LR saving time on workflow is that there are many things that you do in PS, LR can do it with same or even greater results within a few clicks or moving switches... or tedious stuff like merging for pano or HDR, all done in LR with very good results in seconds.

LR has actually become so powerful that I rarely touch PS anymore. The only time I do open in PS is when I want to add/remove stuff that cannot be done in LR and that's very rare. From the record of my mac, the last time I opened PS was 2 month ago and it wasn't even for photo editing.
I'm sold. Sounds pretty ideal. I'll give it a try.

Thanks dude
Old 04-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Lightroom + Photoshop.....you need nothing else.
Been using this combo for 7 years now and have looked at others but nothing even comes close.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #7

Thanks guys. Just discovered my existing Adobe CC subscription includes Lightroom already, so I have download it and will try it out. Appreciate the suggestions.