REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolinite View Post
The 3 Hikari STI's that sold at Richmond Subaru were transported by the lot kids from Langley.. and they did not tear open the plastic over the hoodscoop for the intercooler lol...+ they probably ripped the cars all the way to Richmond.
Eh, I guess with pretty much any marginally sporty car, someone somewhere in the transportation process will always drive it hard. And theres nothing we can really do about it...thats why warranty is there I guess

ive seen brand new hellcats/srt jeeps and lot/sales guys just rip on em. Those cars have a pretty meticulous break in procedure as well... Heard a brand new SRT8 grand cherokee with insanely loud valves once too
Advertisement

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #52
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Was offered a test drive in a evo x, ralliart and 370z. declined evo/ralliart because I didn't have a license at the time. Declined evo x test drive again a few months ago because I couldn't afford it this time around.
Mrblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #53
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Its pretty much inevitable that buying a new car, its bound to be driven hard before you get it in your hands.

Which is another point for why dealers don't approve of test drives for some of these high-demand models. Would you want a car thats been test driven hard by dozens of people?

Im assuming that when you buy one of these "performance" cars you would like to test the "performance". Realistically nobody is going to test drive a car and baby it.

For serious buyers though, if they have one in stock and you are 100% serious and ready to complete the deal, usually if you put down a deposit on the car they'll let you take it out under supervision for minimal kms.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #54
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i remember being refused a test drive for a wrx when they first came out at specialty because some idiot had wrecked their demonstrator on a test drive. as in drifted it over the curb in a slow left hander and into the trees with the salesperson shotgun in the front passenger seat (note i said left hander). the only way i could drive one was after a sales manager at docksteader let me take his own company demo (because my dad was a longtime customer) for the day, which i ended up buying. but years later when the sti first came out i was denied again, only because they only had the one car and it was staying on display with delivery mileage on it until it was sold. the only person on staff to have driven it was the person who parked it in the showroom . the only way i finally got the chance to drive an sti was because a generous nasioc member let me take his around the block.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 04-13-2016 at 07:36 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #55
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I find this a little sad. I'm not one to go buy vehicles new off the lot. Because of that, i've only test driven 2-3 vehicles in my life. A new Genesis, a 1988 E30 like 15 years ago, and a used 350z. If i'm not seriously going to buy it, I don't feel right driving it. Unfortunately I think the system has apparently been abused.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 AM   #56

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
On the subject of driving the MK6R to determine if you like the MK7R.

Before buying my MK7 GTI, I was actually at the dealer to test drive and buy an MK6R. The MK6R test drive was meh, sales guy then convinced me to take a MK7 GTI out since it was quite a bit less money than the MK6R with 80K.

Back to back test drives the MK6 chassis does not hold a candle to the MK7 MQB chassis, interior build quality of the MK7 was also far superior.

I did replace the GTI with the R after about 8 months of waiting, I really can't stress enough to people just how happy I am with the Golf R.

Complaints for Golf R
- First gear should be longer or engine should be able to rev about 500RPM more
- No memory seating, annoying when me and the GF are constantly moving the power seat forward and backward
- Engine noise is lame, no point in putting an exhaust on this car, it would just amplify the ugly engine note
- I hate the software updates for "eco tips" that came out after dieselgate, these annoying pop ups in the gauge display never seem to stop and are very distracting
- TPMS is sensitive

Brilliant car though.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #57
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
got to test drive brz no problem
test drove a gray scion FRS when they had a dark blue one as well

and 500km isnt a brand new car lmao

edit: you guys seriously need to plan this out when going into dealerships when buying a new car, was only 20 or 21 at that time but i had a face of a 13 year old. Bring your mother, bring some family members, we brought a baby as an "act" so it looked like a serious buy

If I went by myself at that age, I wouldn't of been taken serious whatsoever.. OP, you said you look like almost 30 but maybe young face?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.

Last edited by Verdasco; 04-12-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #58
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
You call Timpo and Ulic dumb and yet you can't see the that the TOP of the line cars with very limited numbers on the lot wont be allowed to be test driven?
I don't care if they built 10 civics and allocated one per province. It's still a civic. Just like a Golf R is a fancy Golf, and an EVO is a fancy Lancer. When I had my STis, I always knew I was driving an Impreza. Adding a few parts here and there doesn't make it a supercar.

If the OP was talking about M cars or AMG variants, I could understand. We're not talking about $100k+ cars, we're talking about cars that your average 20 year old could finance with his minimum wage job washing dishes.

Do you really not understand the difference here? Or are you just being obtuse?
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #59
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
When I was shopping for cars, Baljet Chev here on the island just threw me the keys to a turbo Cobalt SS and said "Have fun and bring it back in one piece". The car got a good slogging through the backroads of Lake Cowichan, making sure to try out that "no lift shift" feature.

I had no problem getting a test drive with on my Speed 3, except that the salesman came along. The car had 350kms on it when I bought it, so it had been through a few test drives (it even had the test drive form from the last person in the glovebox). Since I bought the car for 6k off sticker, I was more than fine with that.

But I gotta say, Docksteader Subaru, man they think their cars are fucking made out of gold or something. Wouldn't let me test a WRX, just a regular 2.5i (consequently to their detriment I wasn't overly impressed) and then when it came to running through the numbers they wouldn't deal AT ALL. So I walked away, fuck them.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #60
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
You can thank the test pilots.
this. last 2 cars i sold are relatively sporty i guess but would not classify as sports cars. had at least 1 on each test drive them like idiots. idiots come in all shapes and sizes.

now i have family cars not sure anyone would wanna hoon an accord

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #61

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
What? You don't get the point of the Cayman? I almost wanted to fail you just for that~

As good as the Boxster is, I like the overall shape of fixed top cars a lot better than convertibles. But yeah, the chassis rigidity and the fact that you don't need to put up with stupid roll bar rules for lapping in a fixed top car are reason enough to go for the fixed top.

LOL~ It wasn't quite like that. I was instructing in an M3 and an M4, so I did a couple of laps in both cars. They are absolutely fantastic machines, but I am generally a smaller / lighter car kind of guy. So the instructional drives were enlightening in the sense that I found out these cars are really too big and heavy for me.

The Civic, on the other hand... well... it's only supposed to be the appliance car. Visibility from the driver seat was good. The car was smooth and easy to drive. It wasn't sporty, but it wasn't floppy either. So that was all the subjective requirements it needed to meet.
Ok that makes sense.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #62
I don't get it

Test drive is going to be the deal breaker for me. No way I am putting down hard earned cash to only find the car doesn't meet satisfactions. If you end up regretting the purchase after, I wonder what you're going to say to yourself......'should of test drove'...
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #63
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Do you really not understand the difference here? Or are you just being obtuse?

Spoiler!

Back in 2003 when the 2004 STi dropped I was allowed to test drive one at Wolfe Subaru in Langely. I knew the fleet guy there and he new I wanted one. After the test drive, which was OK but not spectacular, I passed due to insane pricing. By passing on it I was able to by my ITR about a month later. Best decision ever.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #64
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I want to test drive the new Civic Type R, but chances will be very slim...........
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #65
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
I want to test drive the new Civic Type R, but chances will be very slim...........
And in other news.
Are they bringing the CTR to Canada?!?!?!
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #66
Fanboy

Some salesman are racist, my pops was denied a test drive on an RX8.

I test drove a newish Evo X at Newtype in Richmond, guy didn't think twice.

I spoke to a salesman at Wolf Subaru in Langley, the guy was pretty clear that he wouldn't let me test drive one. I'm still ordering a new STI.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #67
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Some salesman are racist,
Oh totally.
I walked into the Ferrari dealer the other day, and they didn't even greet me. It was obvious that they didn't want my business. So then I hit up the Benz dealer in Richmond, and all of the Chinese salespeople laughed at my Adidas, jeans and hoodie combo. Same for the BMW dealer across the lot. Can't a gwai lo catch a break?

That's when I went to the Ford dealer. They know how to treat a guy right.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #68
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Totally down to the sales guy...

i've let 19 year olds test drive M3's......... after the numbers made sense and a deal subject to test drive.

it's all down to the nature of the vehicle and the sales guy's personal judgement.

had a 19 year old walk in yesterday with his mom to look at cars... and we went on a test drive in an almost new Camaro SS... 90% of the time, the test drive with some of those seemingly tire kicking kids were actually ok, and 60% end up buying. Test drives bring up emotional want to a car, so chances are raised for the guy to buy the car.

i've had 30-50 year old dudes come in to test drive to show off to their lady friends and simply came in to tire kick... we meet different people from many different walks of life here in the car business

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #69
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
I'll never forget when I was working as a lot guy at Wolfe Subaru in Langley back in '07 and a young Asian kid came in wanting to test drive an STI and said he had cash but needed to drive it first to see if it was really what he wanted. Our manager at the time made it very clear that it wasn't happening in an almost rude way... Kid comes back the next week in a brand new hawkeye just for an oil change purely to drop the Mic on the sales staff. Was priceless to see the look on managers face...pays to be nice and find out who your client is before judging as a salesman. Definitely made me look at my own customer service skills in a new light
bcuzracecarz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #70
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
i had customers complain about 500km on their new car. its still new, your the first owner. just had a couple of test drives.
maybe i'm one of those picky ones but when i'm being sold a brand new vehicle at or near MSRP it better have the protective barrier on body panels/interior from factory and the mileage is only from transport not test drives
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #71
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Appropriate for this thread:

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #72
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
ninja edit great68 beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
That's when I went to the Ford dealer. They know how to treat a guy right.
read that thinking "they know how to treat a white guy right"

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #73
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
The first Toyota dealer I went to when I was shopping for an FRS let me test drive one without even looking at my license If it makes a difference, it was a lease return unit.

He let me drive it around for an hour and took me to some twisties, highway, city driving. Really wanted to buy it from him but he wouldn't budge on the price at all.

Also tried to get a test drive setup for a WRX at the same time and was denied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #74
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
The first Toyota dealer I went to when I was shopping for an FRS let me test drive one without even looking at my license If it makes a difference, it was a lease return unit.

He let me drive it around for an hour and took me to some twisties, highway, city driving. Really wanted to buy it from him but he wouldn't budge on the price at all.

Also tried to get a test drive setup for a WRX at the same time and was denied.
well after the first test drive he knows your budget so....

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #75
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
read that thinking "they know how to treat a white guy right"
That's why I like the Toyota dealership.
They treat everyone well.