REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 04-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
I STILL don't get it

HTC 10

Looks like a fantastic phone with all the right specs, hopefully this will be the phone to bring HTC back into the high end smartphone game.

HTC 10 arrives with 12MP UltraPixel camera, BoomSound speakers - GSMArena.com news

https://m.youtube.com/user/marquesbrownlee

The only downer so far is that the phone will only be sold at Bell ($499/2yr) and unlocked on HTC's website for $999CDN. At $999 it will be the same price as the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which will definitley make the HTC a bit of a harder sell.

Update: You can pre-order the unlocked 10 on the HTC website and get $100 off with the promo code: HTCCA1008
Advertisement

Last edited by djstyles; 04-12-2016 at 12:45 PM.
djstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
HTC has no business selling a phone at that price. That price point is exclusively for Samsung and Apple.

I can see them making the Nexus 2016.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
HTC has no business selling a phone at that price. That price point is exclusively for Samsung and Apple.
Yeah i was kind of thinking the same thing. Have HTC shot themselves in the foot here with the pricing? In my opinion a $799-$849CDN price point for an outright purchase would be about right. But given the current exchange rate I'm not so sure, the 10 sells for $700US which equals to $893.73.

Last edited by djstyles; 04-12-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
$1000 HTC phone? Yeah no thanks
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
agreed, no HTC phone is justified at that price point anymore....

feels like they dont offer as much as the other counterparts

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
There's a coupon for 100 off. HTC1008

599 USD for a brand new flagship isn't too bad IMO.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
I STILL don't get it

Camera is a 12MP with 1.55 micron pixels, I wonder if it uses the same Sony IMX337 sensor that the Nexus 6P uses. Coming from a 6P I was impressed with the photo quality expecially in low light. If it's the same sensor, paired with OIS and a brighter f/1.8 lens it should take excellent low light pics and be a better overall camera than the 6P.

Last edited by djstyles; 04-12-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I like my HTC M8, a lot.
Coming from Apple for years, it was nice to have an android with all of it's functionality and user friendliness.

But $1000 is a lot of cake. Not only that, but the cel providers are no longer offering much as far as subsidies anymore.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i'm just surprised HTC and Sony are still in the mobile game
this would do better at $500 US...would really help with their market share
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #10

Yeah to have a chance they need to make a phone that's just as good but a couple hundred cheaper. Apple and Sammy have put way too much money into marketing to have HTC come in at the same price and convert the masses.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i'm just surprised HTC and Sony are still in the mobile game
this would do better at $500 US...would really help with their market share
Sony's phone are not that bad. Their battery management is very very good. Stanby time is as good as iphone. Overall not too bad. HTC on the other hand......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
yes my current phone is the Z5P dual so I know they make quality devices...Sony Mobile has almost no presence in north America which is why they're bleeding millions daily.

I really want HTC to succeed but they make uninspiring designs and keep it safe like Sony
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
EVERYTHING is too expensive when you convert it to Canadian dollars. I see this come up over and over since the dollar went to shit. Even in the Tesla Model 3 thread.

That $800 iphone or samsung you bought 3 years ago would be $1000 today as well... You can't think of it like that. I would suggest only considering USD when looking at prices, and then go from there depending on what currency you get paid in [which is obviously cdn for most people here]
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #14

TBH, I don't think the pricing for HTC 10 in USD is bad. As a matter of fact, I think the after coupon pricing is quite a deal for what it has to offer.

It has the latest flagship phone spec, presumably an amazing camera, full aluminum body, USB 3.1 type-C... everything you can ask for now and a few years down the road.

Not to mention Sense has evolved to be a light(er) touch to the stock Android as compared to say TouchWiz which is a hog on the system resources.

Some might say no swappable batteries, but seriously, if I were to carry additional batteries OTG, what difference does it make to carry an USB battery?

If I were in the market for an Android phone, the HTC 10 is probably what I'd get. Sure you can get a S7/S7E... but plastic body at this age for flagship. Srsly?
Old 04-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
EVERYTHING is too expensive when you convert it to Canadian dollars. I see this come up over and over since the dollar went to shit. Even in the Tesla Model 3 thread.

That $800 iphone or samsung you bought 3 years ago would be $1000 today as well... You can't think of it like that. I would suggest only considering USD when looking at prices, and then go from there depending on what currency you get paid in [which is obviously cdn for most people here]
700 USD or 1000 Canadian, what difference does it make. The point is in either country it's the same price as the Galaxy. Specs wise they are pretty identical, minus the fact that HTC didn't waterproof their phone. So really what reason does someone have to buy an HTC? They will sell dick all again and probably go out of business in the next few years at this rate.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

If I were in the market for an Android phone, the HTC 10 is probably what I'd get. Sure you can get a S7/S7E... but plastic body at this age for flagship. Srsly?
You mean metal and glass. I don't own a galaxy but after playing with one in store their build quality and materials have come a long way. No plastic to be found
Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #17
I STILL don't get it

The US pricing with the $100 off makes it a great buy at $599 but the Canadian price makes the phone less attractive, even with the $100 off imo.

Quote:
Sure you can get a S7/S7E... but plastic body at this age for flagship. Srsly?
I own the S7 Edge and can tell you the body is metal and glass. Samsung has been using metal and glass for their flagship phones since the S6.

Last edited by djstyles; 04-13-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
I STILL don't get it

Looks like the camera in the HTC 10 is getting a good review from DxOMark, it recieved the same score as the S7 Edge. Looking forward to playing around with it myself to test it out.

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/HTC-1...ills-and-video
Old 04-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #19
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
so far the reviews of the phone seem good...

the only thing that makes the phone not worth the price tag is the name... in fact.. No smartphone is worth what they are.. lol... its what people make it to be...
Old 04-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstyles View Post
The US pricing with the $100 off makes it a great buy at $599 but the Canadian price makes the phone less attractive, even with the $100 off imo.

I own the S7 Edge and can tell you the body is metal and glass. Samsung has been using metal and glass for their flagship phones since the S6.
It's metal frame with glass body.

Seriously though, aluminum body is one of the main reasons I switched back to iPhone. Glass or plastic, it just feels less classy than full metal.

Yes, I'm an apple whore, but when I was shopping for phone back then, holding both S6E and iPhone 6+, the S6E just felt cheap no matter how Samsung wants to slice it.

Back to HTC10 though... if you are a geek, I can't see how S7/S7E is better (unless you want the screen on S7E). Samsung's offering is outdated comparing to HTC. The HTC10 has USB3.1 type-C with QC3.0.

The only complaint I have with HTC10 is the lack of wireless charging. If it had Qi or a Qi-capable case, I'd be all over it.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #21
I STILL don't get it

^other than features I believe it boils down to preference of materials. I like the glass and aluminum of my S7E but also liked the full aluminum of my Nexus 6P. Whats great though is the variety of choices we have as smartphone users.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #22

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I had an HTC evo3d back in the day, then after switching to iPhone, and back to android I had an HTC M7. At that point in time I hated everything to do with the plastic disgusting samsung phones.

Now samsung has put out some nice phones in the past little bit, so I picked up the Galaxy S6 Edge plus. The phone is very nice to hold and feel, very premium, unfortunately compared to the user experience on the samsung it is disturbing, Samsung has taken android and thrown this disgusting bulky skin on top of it and then loaded it's own version of all the google apps on it. So you get two calendar apps, two contacts apps, two calculators, etc. It's just such a waste and so annoying.

HTC with the 10 has eliminated this bloat, and I think that's a brilliant move on their part. I absolutely don't believe samsung should be able to charge more than HTC for their phones, I don't believe their phones are any better than HTC's.

Also side note: The edge screen is a total gimmick, I should have picked up the new nexus instead of this S6 edge. Will be switching back to either the new nexus device, or this HTC 10 within the next little bit.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Back to HTC10 though... if you are a geek, I can't see how S7/S7E is better (unless you want the screen on S7E). Samsung's offering is outdated comparing to HTC. The HTC10 has USB3.1 type-C with QC3.0.

The only complaint I have with HTC10 is the lack of wireless charging. If it had Qi or a Qi-capable case, I'd be all over it.
how is the s7 outdated beyond the usb c? no point being an early adopter of usb C, i dont want to chuck out all my cables until i have to. and id much rather have waterproof and wireless charging than anything HTC has.

i really dont understand the concern people have for materials, i like 99% of people i know put my phone in a case as soon as i buy it. the only part of my phone i ever look at or touch is the screen
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
how is the s7 outdated beyond the usb c? no point being an early adopter of usb C, i dont want to chuck out all my cables until i have to. and id much rather have waterproof and wireless charging than anything HTC has.

i really dont understand the concern people have for materials, i like 99% of people i know put my phone in a case as soon as i buy it. the only part of my phone i ever look at or touch is the screen
It's USB 2.0. An one minute 4k video is roughly 300~400MB so a casual video can weight 1GB+ in 4k. Or if you want to transfer a few video file on the go, it would take forever to complete the transfer (it's technically faster via 802.11AC that S7 has rather than its USB port, but ac has its limitations).

Sure you can do the transfer via wifi, but the whole idea is that USB3.0 is nothing new (3.1 is even faster than 3.0) and by choosing to go micro USB2.0, Samsung is outdated spec-wise. Same thing as QC 3.0. They should have incorporated it with SnapDragon 820, but yet they chose not to.

Would these make a huge impact in user experience? Depends... but would it be nice to have it? For sure.

And as I said if you are a geek who cares about the latest offering in tech, then S7 is outdated comparing to HTC10. Heck... few devices announced before S7 had already made the switch, so it's not that the tech wasn't ready, Samsung simply chose not to.

HTC stated the 10 was going to be the "fastest" Android device, and from the spec, they really did mean it. Latest CPU, connectivity, charging protocols... etc.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
I still don't really see how this makes it outdated. I'd rather have waterproofing, wireless charging, and an arguably better camera than USB c.

I don't really see how this phone is better than an s7 or offers better value than a 6p.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote