REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Buy & Sell > USED Automotive Vehicles For Sale ONLY

USED Automotive Vehicles For Sale ONLY Zero Tolerance for violation of rules.
Used Cars, Sedans, Wagons, SUVs, Sport Bikes for Sale...

Old 04-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

[YYJ] 1991 Toyota Soarer, 1jz-gte, 5spd

The Basics

1991 Toyota Soarer (built in June 1991, so now legal in the US)
1JZ-GTE 2.5L twin turbo motor, 5 speed manual transmission, 182,000kms
Power steering w/ tilt, power locks, power windows, power seats, power mirrors (power folding too), power sunroof (tilt or slide open)

The car had 110,000km when it was imported. About 60k of the kilometers I put on it were highway kms driving back and forth to Sidney. Oil changes every 5k kms or more recently, since
I don't drive it much anymore, every 6 months. Transmission fluid flush just done recently (April 2016). I have only used 94 octane fuel in the car since I bought it.

Major service done at 168,000kms: Timing belt, crank seal, cam seals, water pump, idler pulley, valve cover gasket, PCV all replaced. Leakdown test performed.
New OEM radiator installed at 168,000kms.
New OEM clutch installed at 134,000kms, flywheel resurfaced.

Modifications

Car was born as an automatic. Manual transmission swap was done in Japan before it was imported.
Tein height adjustable coilovers all around.
Custom cold air intake, non-recirculated BOV, and front mount intercooler.
Custom 3" catback exhaust.
S-AFC II air/fuel computer profesionally dyno-tuned. It made 280hp at the wheels, but this was before the intake and intercooler was done.
Viper 2-way alarm system with passive immobilizer installed by Island Audio.
Kenwood deck with USB and iPhone/iPod input.
Alpine V12 amplifier installed in trunk to power the factory 10" subwoofer.
18" wheels.

$7500

The Details:
I've owned this car for about nine years now and it has been very good to me. It was imported for me by Tyee Imports in Campbell River. Other than a couple little quirks, it is very reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long road trip. It actually excels in this capacity as it is an excellent freeway cruiser and has an 80 liter gas tank. Cosmetically it is largely unmolested and shows very little wear and tear for a 25 year old car.

What are the quirks, you ask?
It suffers from a hot start issue which the small amount of research I've done shows is common to these cars. The symptom is that sometimes when starting the car while the engine is hot, it will start, run for a few seconds, and then die. Waiting for half a minute and trying again almost always works. Giving it a bit of gas as soon as it's started to keep it just off idle also seems to help. Once it is running properly, it is rock solid. The forum posts I've read seem to indicate that bypassing a small fuel pump managing computer fixes this but, since accessing it requires removing the back seat and some of the interior panels, I've never bothered. The other quirk also occurs when the car is hot or sometimes simply when it's very hot outside and it's been left in the sun, and that is that some elements of the digital dash don't light up. This is also common and I've found forum posts with suggested repairs but again it has never been enough of an issue to make me do it. The window tint on the rear window is very bubbled and has been since I bought the car. I don't even notice anymore so my motivation to fix it has not exceeded my desire to not spend money on it. There is a stalk for cruise control, but this feature was removed when the manual transmission was installed. The LCD for the climate control is fully bled out and no longer legible. One click of the passenger seat recline detents does not lock anymore, and of course it's the most sensible one, so your passengers will either have great posture or be super chill. The brown floor mats are ugly. I think that about covers it for bad stuff.

more pics and contact info at ... I guess I'm not allowed to tell you where to find more pics? Looks like my URL got blanked. More pics available on request!

Advertisement

Last edited by Gyuji; 06-25-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Gyuji is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #2

I have learned that based on the chassis number, this car was built in June of 1991, so it will be eligible for US import quite soon.

craigslist ad: 1991 Toyota Soarer, 1jz-gte, 5spd manual

walkaround vid (apologies for poor videography):
Old 06-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #3

New price.

And updated craigslist link.. http://victoria.craigslist.ca/cto/5653905120.html

Last edited by Gyuji; 06-25-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

nothing new, just a shameless bump
Old 08-31-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

bump
Old 11-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

Oh.. bump I guess. Keep forgetting..