REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Tesla Model S Refresh

not sure i like this... we're all saying that the model x and model 3 needs a fake grille like the model s, and then they do this?

The Updated Tesla Model S Is Gorgeous

Quote:

Jason Torchinsky
Yesterday 10:51amFiled to: 2017 TESLA MODEL S
Elon Musk’s campaign to eliminate false grilles has won a very important battle, on the very face of their flagship product: the newly-facelifted Tesla Model S will have a false-grille-less front, very similar to the Tesla Model X. Just like we thought it would.

Official photos just released from Tesla confirm the leaked images we saw earlier, showing a mildly-refreshed Model S that replaces the outgoing Model S’ glossy black ovoid grille-replacement panel with the more subtle ‘moustache’ seen on the Model X.

These grille-unencumbered noses also connect aesthetically to the Model 3's Renault Floride-like face, defining Tesla’s corporate look as one that shuns the usual definer of automotive familial identity, the grille. Good for Tesla – the result is sleek, clean, and very striking. It’s lovely, and doesn’t look like every other hungry fish-mouthed premium sedan out there.

Does this suggest the Model 3 may be getting the Teslastache as well?

The headlights have been updated a bit as well, and, again, fit more with the ever-evolving Tesla corporate visual vocabulary.

Around the rear, the taillights have been updated slightly, with a darkened area visually braking the taillight from the side marker area, which, incidentally, also hides the charger port. Perhaps this was done to make the charging port access more visible?

Tesla also confirmed that the Model S will be getting the Model X’s ‘Bioweapon Defense Mode’ HEPA air filtration system, as well as getting a 48 amp charger (up 8 amps), and a choice of two new wood options for the interior’s woody bits.

To make sure the Model 3's pricing makes sense, the Model S’ price will likely rise, and we may see a new trim level, the bonkers P100D stupid-fast trim.

None of these are huge changes, but it’s a decent little mid-cycle facelift.

UPDATE: As some have pointed out in the comments, the configurator with the new pricing is already live online.

It looks like it starts at the low-end with the single-engine 70 at $67,400, and goes up to $128,900 for the P90D with all the options ticked.
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 04-13-2016 at 07:12 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
That Tesla corporate "faceless" nose lol. Not feeling it.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
That red is gorgeous. I can't seem to find a single problem with tesla, perhaps as years go by the reliability will be shit but its to soon to say. For now they're winning in every category.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I don't think it looks good or bad. I think it just looks like a "car". I can see it as being nice in its utilitarian design, though.

I think if Honda or Toyota redesigned the Accord or Camry respectively to look like that, it'd be viewed as kind of ugly.

The appeal of Tesla cars is the uniqueness of how they're powered, features, etc.

This is coming from a big fan of Tesla and I hope I could own one some day.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjalapeno View Post
That red is gorgeous. I can't seem to find a single problem with tesla, perhaps as years go by the reliability will be shit but its to soon to say. For now they're winning in every category.
tesla model s has a "worse than average" reliability record (down from "average" since 2013) according to consumer reports. but it's also one of their highest rated vehicles on their recommended list...

Tesla Reliability Doesn?t Match Its High Performance - Consumer Reports

thankfully tesla is very good with warranty repairs, which helps take the sting out of having so many problems, but i'm afraid to know what the repair costs are like once the warranty runs out
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
It looks pretty damn good for a car without a grill. I think we are just too used to seeing all the cars with grill, but eventually this look might just grow on us.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
^ thought of the exact same thing at first look
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
I don't get it

it makes the car look more bland or plain.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote