REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Trading Rims across the Border, problem with customs? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708489-trading-rims-across-border-problem-customs.html)

ali36 04-16-2016 07:35 PM

Trading Rims across the Border, problem with customs?

So I have found a set of rims across the border that I like and would like to trade my current rims for them. The person is willing to meet me on the American side of the Peace Arch border to do the exchange as he doesnt have a passport ( already tried getting him to come to the Canadian side for my convenience ).

Just wondering if anyone has done this and had issues at the border. Both rims are valued somewhat the same SSRs for Rays and both have brand new tires installed.

Im just wondering if I might have issues at the border with customs or if Ill be paying taxes or duties. The trade is straight with no cash involved, I was thinking of also getting the trader to sign something as well.

Ive printed out the persons craigslist add and have their contact information and will be drafting a little "bill of a sale" document that we can both sign.

plat27265 04-16-2016 08:44 PM

I think what you should worry about is how to get your rims across the US border. US customs will ask you if there are goods that you are bringing into the US that you are leaving in the US. In this case, your rims. The only way to convince US Customs that you are trading your rims with someone else's rims is when you have a signed trade agreement that includes: (1) Full contact information including phone number of trading party, and (2) details of the trade including specifications of both rim sets. When you drive back into Canada, you'll have to show the same document and let Canada Customs know that it's a straight trade with no money involved. Since I am not a certified customs broker or anything like that, I cannot say how this straight trade agreement will affect duties and taxes.

Best to contact Canada Customs and US Customs so they can inform you what you need to do and what paperwork is required. And, whether you need to pay any duties or taxes.

ali36 04-16-2016 08:55 PM

Good point, did not think about that. Ill have the agreement with me as I just drafted it now but it wont be signed until I get there...

I tried calling the Peace Arch border but there closed until Monday. May have to wait till then to get confirmation

zulutango 04-17-2016 05:55 AM

I visited our local customs office when I was about too import some car parts from England. They were able to tell me all the information I needed to decide best how to go about it. The processes and costs involved can be complicated and VERY expensive. Their info is free.

plat27265 04-17-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ali36 (Post 8747861)
Good point, did not think about that. Ill have the agreement with me as I just drafted it now but it wont be signed until I get there...

I tried calling the Peace Arch border but there closed until Monday. May have to wait till then to get confirmation

If you can have the agreement signed before hand, that would be better. Bring along a print out of your email correspondence (if any) about the trade.

When I imported my car ('96 Accord) from the US several years ago, I had to call both US and Canada Customs to figure out what sort of paperwork they needed to process for export (US)/import (Canada) my car.

Best of luck to you!

originalhypa 04-17-2016 10:31 AM

Worse case, they'll charge you tax and duty based on the value of the wheels. I bought a set of advans back in the day, and got a great deal. Customs googled what tree wheels sell for on average and charged me based on that. To many folks will have a gift receipt or a doctored receipt to show a lower value. So at times, customs has been known to charge what they want.

It sucks, but everything has a value, and Canada wants her cut.

J.C 04-17-2016 05:56 PM

i've done 200 cash + my wheels for the other dudes wheels across the border before
we had a written agreement that was signed by both of us and we had each others contact info and address

i also printed out the history of emails and conversation
i was sent inside and they went thru my phone to confirm the messages
i can't remember if they taxed me on the $200 or if they just waved me through

MG1 04-18-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ali36 (Post 8747861)

Don't most people these days have some type of scanner/printer, or access to one?

Email document(s), have other person print it, sign it, scan it, then e-mail it back to you.

cdizzle_996 04-18-2016 08:17 AM

Show up with a CPB form 7533 filled out and you'll have no issues.

ali36 04-18-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8748133)
Don't most people these days have some type of scanner/printer, or access to one?

Email document(s), have other person print it, sign it, scan it, then e-mail it back to you.

Im certain everyone has access to a printer or scanner. I was thinking they would probably want to see the original and not a copy thats signed.

Update:
So before i went i had the following
- trading agreement which i made up. Details of both items, our addresses and contact info which we both signed and dated when I did the exhange.
- copy of his for trade add
- copy of the agreement black
- 2 for sale adds of other people selling similiar rims

Got charged tax going into the states wasnt very much
Got charged tax coming back on the value that was listed on the add. All in all took no more than 1.5 hours.

sebberry 04-19-2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8747939)
Worse case, they'll charge you tax and duty based on the value of the wheels.

Quote:

Duty on Repairs or alterations to your vehicle/vessel

If you intend to have repairs or alterations made to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft outside Canada, check with the CBSA before you leave. Under customs legislation, the CBSA can no longer consider your vehicle, vessel or aircraft to be Canadian-made if you increase its value, improve its condition or have it modified outside Canada. As a result, you may have to pay duty and the goods and services tax (GST) or harmonized sales tax (HST) on its entire value when you bring it back.

The value of the repairs or alterations made to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft in the United States will be free of duty when it is re-imported into Canada. GST/HST will apply to the value of the repairs or alterations.

Emergency repairs can be made to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft while you are travelling outside the country to ensure your safe return to Canada. To be eligible for this special provision, however, be sure to declare the value of all repairs and replacement parts when you return to Canada with the vehicle.

Transport Canada also has requirements for vehicles that are extensively modified. For more information, contact Transport Canada’s Registrar of Imported Vehicles at 1-888-848-8240.

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/d.../duty-tax-tips