REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #101
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
No one here has actually stated/argued what they think a fair wage for a bus driver is. If you're going to complain about the value of their job, at least make a coherent case with respect to reasonable compensation.

What would you pay them and why? And if your case is a strong one, why don't you work as a negotiator for Translink?
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #102

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
No one here has actually stated/argued what they think a fair wage for a bus driver is. If you're going to complain about the value of their job, at least make a coherent case with respect to reasonable compensation.

What would you pay them and why? And if your case is a strong one, why don't you work as a negotiator for Translink?
First united (the school bus company) pays class 2 school bus operators from ~$20 to $27.

Cypress Mountain coach lines pays it's operators ~$23-$28 (I'm sure other coach lines are in line with this, although I have no firm backup for this).

On top of that neither of the companies above has nearly as nice of a benefits package, and you have to already have your operating license in order to even apply; whereas for translink any bum off the street can apply and get hired.

I'd say their current salary amount is more than fair. They should receive a 1 to 2 % increase for the next 7 years, and sign a 7 year contract.

The issue is right now, nobody knows what the situation is, the demands of each side have not been made public. For all we know is the translink execs are asking bus drivers to take a 25% pay cut, in which case I'd be more understanding to the bus drivers.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #103

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
First united (the school bus company) pays class 2 school bus operators from ~$20 to $27.

Cypress Mountain coach lines pays it's operators ~$23-$28 (I'm sure other coach lines are in line with this, although I have no firm backup for this).

On top of that neither of the companies above has nearly as nice of a benefits package, and you have to already have your operating license in order to even apply; whereas for translink any bum off the street can apply and get hired.

I'd say their current salary amount is more than fair. They should receive a 1 to 2 % increase for the next 7 years, and sign a 7 year contract.

The issue is right now, nobody knows what the situation is, the demands of each side have not been made public. For all we know is the translink execs are asking bus drivers to take a 25% pay cut, in which case I'd be more understanding to the bus drivers.
I think those are fair baselines and if I were a negotiator for Translink with no other suitable comparables, I would probably use that as a baseline and go from there.

We don't know what the real numbers are. I'm more willing to give Translink negotiators the benefit of the doubt - not because I have ever worked for that organization, but because they simply have more comparables than we do.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #104
I am Hook'd on RS

They should be glad they have a job, are getting paid pretty good, and have a home to go to. A lot of people in Fort McMurray don't.

bLUEsTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #105
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL View Post
They should be glad they have a job, are getting paid pretty good, and have a home to go to. A lot of people in Fort McMurray don't.

You should be glad you have a home and a computer to write that stupid unrelated post.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #106
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Plus it's kind of hard to compare driving a bunch of tourists than a bunch of skids/drunks. TransLink's become too inflated at the top end and that's where a big chunk of the money goes to. Paying these ppls salary. I'd rather have my taxes pay for two/three drivers than one manager.
tr0ubl3s0m3x is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #107
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmokez View Post
You should be glad you have a home and a computer to write that stupid unrelated post.
You should be too but what do you care about a possible strike? You have a car right? Anyways, are you really grateful for what you have? I hope so. Oh, by the way have you done anything to help anyone who's been displaced by that fire in Fort Mac?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #108
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0ubl3s0m3x View Post
Plus it's kind of hard to compare driving a bunch of tourists than a bunch of skids/drunks. TransLink's become too inflated at the top end and that's where a big chunk of the money goes to. Paying these ppls salary. I'd rather have my taxes pay for two/three drivers than one manager.
Yep dont forget what they love to do, giving themselves raises, behind closed doors, and not issuing press releases

TransLink pay scale raises eyebrows in B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News

TransLink exec compensation rises despite supposed ?freeze? | CTV Vancouver News

Four top executives at Translink all received pay raises last year - BC | Globalnews.ca
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #109
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
You should be too but what do you care about a possible strike? You have a car right? Anyways, are you really grateful for what you have? I hope so. Oh, by the way have you done anything to help anyone who's been displaced by that fire in Fort Mac?
You don't get it. Bringing up the fire has zero context on whether or not the transit drivers strike, and is completely irrelevant to the thread topic. It would be like going into the Canucks thread and saying, "The team should be grateful for what they have by getting the fifth pick, unlike those people in Fort Mac who are suffering."

What is happening there is a terrible incident, but don't go trying to bring attention to it in a topic where they aren't connected.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #110
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
By the way, I forgot to ask you in my first reply to your beautiful comment but what bus route do you drive? I'd like to say hi the next time I see you.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #111
I don't get it

Is it true transit will not operate if the majority members vote Yes to the strike?
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #112
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Oh, and I see from your other Translink related posts that you don't really enjoy being a driver. Maybe you should just find another job or is the pay too good? I mean the pay isn't that good right? I mean if it isn't that good then you wouldn't still be a driver right?
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #113
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshift View Post
Is it true transit will not operate if the majority members vote Yes to the strike?
during the last strike, didn't they make transit an essential service? meaning if the strike does happen, it would just be reduced services, not completely in-operational.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2016, 12:01 AM   #114
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,853 Times in 889 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, and I see from your other Translink related posts that you don't really enjoy being a driver. Maybe you should just find another job or is the pay too good? I mean the pay isn't that good right? I mean if it isn't that good then you wouldn't still be a driver right?

bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2016, 01:20 AM   #115
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
61 posts in 5 years and about 1/4 of them are in Translink-related threads.

Obviously, you have a motive for being a complete douche. Why don't you just tell us what it is?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #116
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post

Old 05-08-2016, 01:32 AM   #117
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
61 posts in 5 years and about 1/4 of them are in Translink-related threads.

Obviously, you have a motive for being a complete douche. Why don't you just tell us what it is?
Old 05-08-2016, 02:01 AM   #118
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post
Wages for transit operators currently start at $19.57 an hour and top out at $30.91 within two years of employment, which Woods said is a lower wage than other workers in similar positions in B.C.
It's crazy but depending on the answer to a couple questions, I might actually side with translink employees.

If it tops out at $30 in two years, does everyone get $30 in two years?

Do some employees make less even after two years and what percentage of employees that is?

If it tops out, does that mean a bus driver is making $30 even after 10 years?

If I look at $30 right at the two year mark, I believe it is more than fair but it is a different story for other circumstances.

I think the wage structure based on experience could be restructured but its really hard to "take a side" since their is a lack of information or at least I don't know.

But there is no doubt that working conditions can definitely be improved. Especially if this is true for most of the employees:

Quote:
“We’re not getting fair recovery times, which means that we don’t have time to go to the bathroom, we don’t have time to eat properly, we’re not given any scheduled breaks throughout an eight- or seven-and-a-half-hour shift,” said Woods. "So the reality is that if the bus is later delayed, it’s likely that the transit operator didn’t have a chance to get a snack, go to the bathroom or have a meal break.”
And this bites the people in the ass because some drivers skip people/stops or basically delay the bus.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #119
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
It's crazy but depending on the answer to a couple questions, I might actually side with translink employees.

If it tops out at $30 in two years, does everyone get $30 in two years?

Do some employees make less even after two years and what percentage of employees that is?

If it tops out, does that mean a bus driver is making $30 even after 10 years?

If I look at $30 right at the two year mark, I believe it is more than fair but it is a different story for other circumstances.

I think the wage structure based on experience could be restructured but its really hard to "take a side" since their is a lack of information or at least I don't know.

But there is no doubt that working conditions can definitely be improved. Especially if this is true for most of the employees:

And this bites the people in the ass because some drivers skip people/stops or basically delay the bus.
I found this about what TTC drivers make I want to be a transit driver. What will my salary be? - The Globe and Mail. This is from 2014 but they top out after 5 years. For any job I don't think it's just about how much but also about how soon. If they top out at 2 years in the long run they're making a lot more than their peers who are topping out at 5 years. It's too bad there isn't a lot of information coming from both sides.
GoldenBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #120
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The thing with these massive public companies is there is no accountability for spending, checks/balances etc. they all act like money is never ending and the "cuts" they make are almost always superficial.

I have a friend who works for the Vancouver school board, I'm tempted to make a thread to post some of the shit he has told me regarding pure fucking waste. Yet they are on the news non-stop begging for money etc.
Vancouver School Board has always been messed up. Back when I went to Strathcona, they gave every kid free notebooks and pencils with "Vancouver School Board" stamped on everything. Endless supply of stuff. Things were always thrown out on a regular basis. The Minstry of Education is worse. New curriculum every two or three years with books being thrown out and money thrown at useless and meaningless research. Millions of dollars spent on electronic reporting systems that make absolutely no sense. I can go on, but most of us have seen it.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #121
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Vancouver School Board has always been messed up. Back when I went to Strathcona, they gave every kid free notebooks and pencils with "Vancouver School Board" stamped on everything. Endless supply of stuff. Things were always thrown out on a regular basis. The Minstry of Education is worse. New curriculum every two or three years with books being thrown out and money thrown at useless and meaningless research. Millions of dollars spent on electronic reporting systems that make absolutely no sense. I can go on, but most of us have seen it.
I remember moving from Vancouver to Surrey as a kid and my first day of school, I didn't bring a thing cause I thought it was like Vancouver.

"You guys have to buy your own school supplies??"
nah is offline   Reply With Quote