REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Eyedoctors in Richmond (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708628-eyedoctors-richmond.html)

Verdasco 04-27-2016 10:31 AM

Eyedoctors in Richmond

Anyone have good experiences with eye doctors in richmond? Never been to one for a while, looking for a doctor near number 3 road preferably

jeedee 04-27-2016 10:58 AM

if you don't mind driving a bit into South Van; I highly recommend Dr Maxine Law on Victoria Drive

South Vancouver Optometry Clinic - Optometrists

Been my optometrist my entire life, extremely professional and I still go there even though I live in South Burnaby now

Verdasco 04-27-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8750655)
if you don't mind driving a bit into South Van; I highly recommend Dr Maxine Law on Victoria Drive

South Vancouver Optometry Clinic - Optometrists

Been my optometrist my entire life, extremely professional and I still go there even though I live in South Burnaby now

how young are the doctors still compared to those pictureso n the website?

young doctor is a big PLUS imo. more so for family physicians

Urrtoast 04-27-2016 12:23 PM

Based on the shitty drivers in Richmond I would avoid seeing a Eye Doctor out there.
BrokeBack

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8750648)
Anyone have good experiences with eye doctors in richmond? Never been to one for a while, looking for a doctor near number 3 road preferably

v_tec 04-27-2016 01:36 PM

p.s: it's call an optometrist.

smoothie. 04-27-2016 01:53 PM

you're looking to see an eye doctor?

:pokerface:

does IRIS have a branch there? I go to the burnaby one and theyre pretty good

godwin 04-27-2016 03:11 PM

What kind of "eye doctor" are you looking for?

Ophthalmologist or Optometrist?

Both do different things.

Verdasco 04-27-2016 03:12 PM

newb question to see an eye doctor (optometrist), do you have to pay for a visit?

I know family physicians you can walk right in with an appointment/health number but do you have to give some dough for an opto? (OP has health coverage btw)

Alby 04-27-2016 03:38 PM

optometrist usually charge 70 to 80 per visit

Verdasco 04-27-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alby (Post 8750735)
optometrist usually charge 70 to 80 per visit

if my health coverage from sunlife doesnt cover it..

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...JbFuC5_7KqsYEw

matrixfwd 04-27-2016 05:00 PM

Try Francis cheng in landsdowne. Mall. No issues with him. He's not much of a talker though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeedee 04-27-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8750659)
how young are the doctors still compared to those pictureso n the website?

young doctor is a big PLUS imo. more so for family physicians

every time i went i always got Dr Law herself... she's like in her 30s?

asian_XL 04-27-2016 09:43 PM

Can anyone recommend a hot looking doctor in vancouver. ��

twitchyzero 04-27-2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8750741)
if my health coverage from sunlife doesnt cover it..

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...JbFuC5_7KqsYEw

you're gonna cheap out $40 a year for an exam that checks on one of your most crucial senses?

you'll likely need your pair of eyes for life...might as well go for routine checkups rather than wait for issues to crop up

I've gone to the ones in Costco in Bby/Vancouver. They're indie so you don't need membership.

and why do you prefer young doctors?

Traum 04-27-2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8750726)
newb question to see an eye doctor (optometrist), do you have to pay for a visit?

I know family physicians you can walk right in with an appointment/health number but do you have to give some dough for an opto? (OP has health coverage btw)

The provincial government only pays the optometrist a nominal amount for children (undre 19) and senior (over 65) eye exams. Or, if the patient has certain health problems or eye-related issues, the province might also pay the optometrist. In nearly all cases, the provincial payment for eye-related issues are insufficient to even cover the patient's chair time. On eye-related issues, the payment is minuscule that I kind of see it as an insult to the optometrist. But that is our lovely provincial government's view on eye health and eye care in general -- they don't really give a shxt, and they provide very little support to patients and optometrists alike.

For adults, I think most optometrists charge somewhere in the $70 - $120 range. But the fee alone doesn't tell the whole story. Most optometrists will not bother with a dilation exam to check on eye (and retinal) health if you book a "regular" exam with them -- they will only do an eye prescription exam. Some may use retinal cameras to do quick checks on retinal health, but coverage from these retinal cameras are generally far smaller than what a proper pupil dilation exam can show.

As vision and ocular conditions are not always accompanied by recognizable symptoms, I'd recommend people to get their eye health checked, not just their prescription checked.

sonick 04-28-2016 10:47 AM

Costco's always been fine with me. Also, most (if not all) of their optometrists are young asian women if you're into that.

Alby 04-28-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixfwd (Post 8750754)
Try Francis cheng in landsdowne. Mall. No issues with him. He's not much of a talker though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8750843)
The provincial government only pays the optometrist a nominal amount for children (undre 19) and senior (over 65) eye exams. Or, if the patient has certain health problems or eye-related issues, the province might also pay the optometrist. In nearly all cases, the provincial payment for eye-related issues are insufficient to even cover the patient's chair time. On eye-related issues, the payment is minuscule that I kind of see it as an insult to the optometrist. But that is our lovely provincial government's view on eye health and eye care in general -- they don't really give a shxt, and they provide very little support to patients and optometrists alike.

For adults, I think most optometrists charge somewhere in the $70 - $120 range. But the fee alone doesn't tell the whole story. Most optometrists will not bother with a dilation exam to check on eye (and retinal) health if you book a "regular" exam with them -- they will only do an eye prescription exam. Some may use retinal cameras to do quick checks on retinal health, but coverage from these retinal cameras are generally far smaller than what a proper pupil dilation exam can show.

As vision and ocular conditions are not always accompanied by recognizable symptoms, I'd recommend people to get their eye health checked, not just their prescription checked.

+1 for Francis. i've been with him only for a short while, but my wife has been seeing him for the longest time. i see him every 2 years and everytime he has done dilation exam.

blackGS? 04-28-2016 07:14 PM

Slightly off topic.
Anyone know an optometrist that can hook up a pair of non-prescription sunglasses but write it up as so? Extended coverage
I usually wear my contacts on sunny days.
Also Costco around willingdon is not bad. Prescription test is the worst. "Is this one better or this one?" Ahhh! I don't know!

matrixfwd 04-28-2016 10:09 PM

You mean A doctor who is willing to help you defraud your insurance company?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackGS? (Post 8751042)
Slightly off topic.
Anyone know an optometrist that can hook up a pair of non-prescription sunglasses but write it up as so? Extended coverage
Also Costco around willingdon is not bad. Prescription test is the worst. "Is this one better or this one?" Ahhh! I don't know!

Verdasco 04-29-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackGS? (Post 8751042)
Slightly off topic.

Gotta have friends that work in the industry in order to do that.

Jer3 04-30-2016 06:55 AM

goto costco. new equipment and the optometrist at the richmond location is very thorough and friendly. $95 including tax. you don't need a membership to go there btw.

Stormspirit 05-01-2016 03:25 AM

So does the one at South Van actually doctors?

I went to some glasses shop in Richmond recently just did some bs exam, I said I have light issues and he said its normal like wtf thats pretty unprofessional if you ask me. He told me theres no glasses for that... but he can't even tell me the problem. Are there actually official eye doctor clinics?

Alby 05-01-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormspirit (Post 8751730)
So does the one at South Van actually doctors?

I went to some glasses shop in Richmond recently just did some bs exam, I said I have light issues and he said its normal like wtf thats pretty unprofessional if you ask me. He told me theres no glasses for that... but he can't even tell me the problem. Are there actually official eye doctor clinics?

try an actual optometrist's office instead of glass shops :badpokerface: