REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
So did they need a tax credit?

If the only reason they are filming here is because of a tax credit then we have a problem.
Second this. If the only way we can attract film industry is by giving massive incentive, we might as well give it to other industries that would bring long term job creation like tech or light manufacturing.

Those are more likely to have a lasting effect. Filming industry is something they can move overnight with little consideration.
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #27
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,375 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You seem to have forgotten this little flick called Deadpool was filmed in Vancouver, and it set the measly record of being the highest grossing R rated film of all time.
Which shut down the Georgia/Dunsmuir Viaduct for what, 4 days? How much of that money actually went to the local economy (i.e. not to the parent company) net of the costs spent to put on that gong show?

Oh and the vast majority of filming in the city isn't of Deadpool caliber, more likely low-budget shows aforementioned.

Thanks

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Why is it that the film industry deserves tax credit over other industries in BC?

You say that the film industry pumps millions back into the tourism, hospitality and food and beverage industry. You think that heavy industry such as forestry, and mining doesn't?

Resource based industries have been the backbone of BC for 100 years, and right now they are not doing well, where is the tax breaks for saw mill operators so that they don't have to lay off half their workforces, or shut down their plants?

I keep seeing the people boasting about this 2 billion dollars brought to BC's because of film, you know what forestry brought to BC last year? 12.4 BILLION, and they did all 12 billion of that without a 30% tax break.
Resources and infrastructure are stuck to the ground. They have no other option than to be where the resource is located. Where as the movie industry is for the most part mobile. If shooting in Destination X will reduce costs by a significant amount of money compared to Vancouver, they're going there. It's all about bargaining position.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Which shut down the Georgia/Dunsmuir Viaduct for what, 4 days? How much of that money actually went to the local economy (i.e. not to the parent company) net of the costs spent to put on that gong show?

Oh and the vast majority of filming in the city isn't of Deadpool caliber, more likely low-budget shows aforementioned.

Thanks
I'm downtown every day. In the past 4 years I have only had to change my route once for filming (deadpool). The bridge was open during peak hours after 3pm I just chose not to head that way. The lengthy closures were on weekends.

I think you're blowing it out of proportion in terms of shutting down the city....
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #30

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Resources and infrastructure are stuck to the ground. They have no other option than to be where the resource is located. Where as the movie industry is for the most part mobile. If shooting in Destination X will reduce costs by a significant amount of money compared to Vancouver, they're going there. It's all about bargaining position.
This is true, but I wouldn't say they have "No option".

Companies are doing much less of the work here, and shipping much of it overseas to do, we see it in forestry with raw logs, and we see it in mining with concentrate being shipped overseas instead of actually refining and smelting the copper or precious metals here.

You have to look at it from a larger perspective, if you can keep one saw mill open for 40 years with a tax credit, is that better or worse than bringing in one TV show production for 9 months?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #31

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
But in the end, we are still concerned about what the industry leaves us at the end.

I am not arguing for natural resources either as the environmental impact outweighs the benefits IMHO. However, we could totally offer similar credit to high tech companies and I believe they would bring a much profound impact than filming industry.

To give credit where it dues, BC does offer incentive for tech industry, but it's no where near the film industry:
Tech:
Trade and Invest BC - Invest BC Canada | Tax Incentives | Trade and Invest BC

Film:
Trade and Invest BC - Invest in Canada | BC Film & TV | Trade and Invest BC
Old 05-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I dump almost all of my money into the local economy. Can I get a tax credit?
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote