REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Fort Mac is Burning, entire city under evacuation order (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708701-fort-mac-burning-entire-city-under-evacuation-order.html)

Great68 05-03-2016 04:48 PM

Fort Mac is Burning, entire city under evacuation order

Quote:

Dozens of firefighters remained on the scene of an out-of-control wildfire burning near Fort McMurray – officials said the fire was believed to have more than doubled in size since Monday.

Later Tuesday afternoon, officials told CTV News the wildfire was 'beyond resources' - meaning it was considered too dangerous to put fire crews and aircraft between the fire and Fort McMurray.

Starting at about 2 p.m., and continuing throughout the afternoon, officials issued an increasing number of evacuation orders for parts of Fort McMurray.
Just before 6:30 p.m. Tuesday – officials confirmed all Fort McMurray residents were under a mandatory evacuation.

For all other residents, officials with the municipality said evacuees should head north of Fort McMurray towards Noralta Lodge – by Tuesday evening, officials said Noralta Lodge was full, followed a short time later by Grey Wolf Lodge. Officials said evacuees would get instructions on where to go once they reached Noralta Lodge.

While residents had experienced traffic delays earlier Tuesday as they tried to evacuate the community, officials said later Tuesday evening that all lanes of Highway 63 starting on the northern edge of the city, at the TaigaNova Crescent, were running northbound.

In a news conference late Tuesday afternoon, officials said MacDonald Island – the centre originally used a reception centre for evacuees, had been evacuated itself.

In addition, officials confirmed to CTV News that the Fort McMurray hospital was being evacuated Tuesday evening.
At about 5 p.m., it was believed about 29,000 people had been evacuated – at that time it was already the largest evacuation due to fire in the province’s history.

Officials have asked residents to avoid areas that are under evacuation notice – saying in a statement: “If you’re not at home, do not return home.”
Those trying to leave the area were encountering traffic issues on the highway heading out of town - all due to traffic volume.

The Fort McMurray Airport has said the fire has prompted the cancellation of some flights - officials asked passengers to contact their airline for their flight status.

Officials said Tuesday that the fire, located just west of Fort McMurray, had grown to more than 2,600 hectares as of Tuesday morning. The last size reported was about 1,285 on Monday.
As of late Tuesday afternoon, officials said nine air tankers, more than a dozen helicopters and more than one hundred firefighters were on scene working to fight the blaze - and more crews were on the way to help.
In addition, the landfill remains closed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Chj-chNVEAA5j9Y.jpg:large

https://o.twimg.com/2/proxy.jpg?t=HB...W9L--XWMngKTpE

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChkgvTnWEAElAT1.jpg:large

Absolutely crazy. Mother nature is really kicking them when they're down (Karma?)

Inaii 05-03-2016 05:07 PM

That's some scary shit. Friend's bf works in Ft Mac and was on his way back to work when he got the call to stay in BC. Only time I've ever experienced a wildfire was back in the early 2000s when the area surrounding Princeton went up. Thankfully we didn't have to evacuate but I remember having it hanging over our heads the entire time we were up there.

westopher 05-03-2016 05:12 PM

Was watching a live stream. Things are looking REALLY bad. Hope everyone gets out safe.

ScizzMoney 05-03-2016 05:16 PM

Hope everyone burns. I need a fucking job.

:nyan:

EmperorIS 05-03-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8752469)
Was watching a live stream. Things are looking REALLY bad. Hope everyone gets out safe.

Link to the live stream please?

DGN23 05-03-2016 05:26 PM

All of Fort McMurray evacuated as wildfire intensifies | Globalnews.ca

A good friend and his gf have been trying to get out since about 4. Sounds like a a bit of shit show up there.

slicrick 05-03-2016 05:46 PM

A friend of mine is trying to leave there currently, apparently some of the fires have even spread over the highway, looks pretty bad up there. Pics spoiler'd below.

yray 05-03-2016 06:00 PM

im suprised with all those lifted trucks, no one is driving on the highway median.

westopher 05-03-2016 06:06 PM

I hate to sound all doomsday preacher here, but fort mac may literally never recover from this if its anything like the slave lake fires.

MG1 05-03-2016 06:11 PM

Wildfire caused by humans or nature?

Hopefully not by some selfish, son-of-a-bitch arsonist.

Inaii 05-03-2016 06:25 PM

Or some irresponsible smoker =/

ScizzMoney 05-03-2016 06:33 PM

My guess would be a smoker. Hasn't been any lightning around.

sdubfid 05-03-2016 06:47 PM

the scumbags will be looting

Doubl3_H 05-03-2016 06:49 PM

Airports down, it's gonna be a long travel day back to Vancouver.
They bringing in civilians into our camp apparently.

b0unce. [?] 05-03-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8752488)
im suprised with all those lifted trucks, no one is driving on the highway median.

I've never been to Fort Mac so I'm not aware of the landscape, but if I was there with my truck, I would 4x4 the fuck out of there.

ScizzMoney 05-03-2016 07:45 PM

Just saw the weather update for Fort Mac.

Presto 05-03-2016 09:39 PM

Pretty crazy progression from the airport:

noclue 05-03-2016 10:02 PM

Isn't this a blessing in disguise for laid off workers?
Home prices dropped 30%+
Truck payments
Ski-doo payments

all covered by insurance. Although maybe the insurance companies might try to weasel out.

westopher 05-03-2016 10:05 PM

Holy fuck, and the full fucking retard has begun on FB.
People are actually BLAMING THE ALBERTA NDP GOVERNMENT FOR THE FIRES.
Time to do some sterilizing.

underscore 05-03-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] (Post 8752522)
I've never been to Fort Mac so I'm not aware of the landscape, but if I was there with my truck, I would 4x4 the fuck out of there.

I'd rather be crawling down the pavement than risk being stuck and completely fucked.

320icar 05-03-2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

In addition, the landfill remains closed.
Oh god no, that's the real disaster!!!!

... Why the fuck did they end the news piece on that note? Who the fuck cares, hundreds of people are going to lose their homes :(

SoNaRWaVe 05-03-2016 11:36 PM

Quote:

you ever think vancity will ever remain that civil if something ever like that happened here?

nabs 05-03-2016 11:40 PM

Quote:

I saw some videos of people crossing the median to drive in the oncoming lane, mind you nobody was trying to get back in the city, there were a few of them in a row.

underscore 05-03-2016 11:44 PM

^ apparently all 4 lanes are now designated southbound, any traffic attempting to go north has been blocked.

Razor Ramon HG 05-03-2016 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Potato picture from my friend's phone