REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #76
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Pizza in Italy sucked imo. And I ate a lot of it in a lot of different spots.

I think it's just the romanticism of eating it there that gets people, I'd take some local joints over the Italian pizza any day.
couldn't disagree more. then again, ymmv depending on where you've been.
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #77
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
couldn't disagree more.
I'm with you.
The freshness of the Italian ingredients is what makes their pizza so special. Fresh ingredients are a staple of Italian cuisine. They don't do their shopping once a week like us. They're at the market every day looking for the freshest foods from their local regions. Combine that with their methods of cooking, and you have one of the only reasons to visit that shithole they call Europe. It's all about the food.

Hondaracer, you cray dawg!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #78
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
my friend told me a chicago deep dish pizza in burnaby, calle viva sue pizza

is it any good?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #79
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I'm with you.
The freshness of the Italian ingredients is what makes their pizza so special. Fresh ingredients are a staple of Italian cuisine. They don't do their shopping once a week like us. They're at the market every day looking for the freshest foods from their local regions. Combine that with their methods of cooking, and you have one of the only reasons to visit that shithole they call Europe. It's all about the food.

Hondaracer, you cray dawg!
The freshness of ingredients part doesn't translate to your typical street side pizza/'fast food' type spots in Italy imo. And when I say fast food I'm not talking about some chain BS or a corner store selling pizza, actual take out restaurants. Albeit in heavy traffic areas.

Sit down restaurants had great pizza like I said, but the little quick pizza joint was garbage for the most part. This was over Pisa, the Cinque Terre, Florence, and Milan. And trust me I know good food and have a decent palate.

To each their own though, but my idea of "good" isn't 2 day old foccacia with some shriveled up tomatoes
Old 05-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #80
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
The freshness of ingredients part doesn't translate to your typical street side pizza/'fast food' type spots in Italy imo. And when I say fast food I'm not talking about some chain BS or a corner store selling pizza, actual take out restaurants. Albeit in heavy traffic areas.

Sit down restaurants had great pizza like I said, but the little quick pizza joint was garbage for the most part. This was over Pisa, the Cinque Terre, Florence, and Milan. And trust me I know good food and have a decent palate.

To each their own though, but my idea of "good" isn't 2 day old foccacia with some shriveled up tomatoes
Question: Were most of the patrons of these places tourists? There's your answer.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #81
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
my friend told me a chicago deep dish pizza in burnaby, calle viva sue pizza

is it any good?
I've had it. People I went with were all over it. Nothing special IMO. Don't bother.

I actually like Did's Pizza, 575 Dunsmuir. Longtime Vancouver establishment, was on a 20 year hiatus, just reopened. Decent by-the-slice. And I have a flyer here that says 1 large pizza, 3 toppings, $9.99 on Tuesdays

Did's Pizza Menu Flyer
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #82
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira112 View Post
Famosa if you want soggy ass pizza.
Went to the south Surrey Famosa once and will not return. Pizza was horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #83
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Famoso? Why the fuck is everyone calling it famosa lol.
If so its pretty decent. They made 30 pizzas and some other shit for my wedding. That along with some appetizers I made while blackout drunk the night before, everyone loved it. I really appreciated how out of the way they went to be able to do the huge order for me.
They aren't via tevere, or something else like that that could be considered the best pizza in the city, but they sure aren't bad.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #84
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Famoso? Why the fuck is everyone calling it famosa lol.
It was forgettable for me.. so I just went with what akira typed lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #85
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Thanks, RS. Tried out Straight Outta Brooklyn on Fraser and Kingsway yesterday and would give it a solid 8/10.

On another note, has anyone been to Nicli recently? I remember liking the pizza there when I ate there but that was at least 4 years ago.

tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #86
they call me the snowman

Quote:
The freshness of ingredients part doesn't translate to your typical street side pizza/'fast food' type spots in Italy imo.
I have to admit, we ate pizza at night in the sit down restaurants. Also, we stayed with my cousins there, so they took us to a lot of the places popular with the locals. We didn't get too many chances to eat quick pizza.

For those quick meals, it was all about the panini. A warm beer and a panini for 5 euros was a pretty good deal considering the cost of everything else in Europe.

Also, the Dutch will rip you off if you let them.
Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
Thanks, RS. Tried out Straight Outta Brooklyn on Fraser and Kingsway yesterday and would give it a solid 8/10.
awesome pizza.

+1, would eat again.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #87

Quote:
I have to admit, we ate pizza at night in the sit down restaurants. Also, we stayed with my cousins there, so they took us to a lot of the places popular with the locals. We didn't get too many chances to eat quick pizza.

For those quick meals, it was all about the panini. A warm beer and a panini for 5 euros was a pretty good deal considering the cost of everything else in Europe.

Also, the Dutch will rip you off if you let them.
Lesson learned.

awesome pizza.

+1, would eat again.
Oh fuck yea, we got fresh meats from classic little deli's with paninis and foccacia bread baked hours before, top that off with some local pesto and a few bottles of moretti, some of my favorite lunches ever
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #88
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Original Capones on Gambell Street is best
Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #89
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Best pizza I have had outside of some that I had/have when in Itally is at Emilio Finatti Sicilian Pizzeria in White Rock.......such an amazing pizza place but they are rather small so sometimes it can take a while to get your order.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #90
they call me the snowman

^
I have to check that place out!

Quote:
Oh fuck yea, we got fresh meats from classic little deli's with paninis and foccacia bread baked hours before, top that off with some local pesto and a few bottles of moretti, some of my favorite lunches ever
That was my favorite part of Europe. The awesome Italian food, German sausage and bier gardens, Belgian chocolate, and the McDonalds in London

I'm surprised that no one has brought up Bosa foods yet. Their sandwiches are awesome, but get there before 1pm, or else the good ones are sold out.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #91
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Learned that I must try Straight Outta Brooklyn pizza. Good thread. Would visit again

PS - is there really "good" pizza in the lower mainland? Or are we just settling for what's available? Steveston Pizza isn't that great.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #92
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Learned that I must try Straight Outta Brooklyn pizza. Good thread. Would visit again

PS - is there really "good" pizza in the lower mainland? Or are we just settling for what's available? Steveston Pizza isn't that great.
New location at Fraser and Kingsway so if you're not in downtown, there's another option for that. I had it there and thought it was pretty good.

I'm personally a huge fan of Fire Pizza on commercial.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #93
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Pizza in New York was amazing!

Personally the best pizza I've had here is actually Zaccary's Pizza on Oak, the crust is brushed with olive oil and it's airy yet crispy. Delicious!
It's too bad they only open 5 hours a day, 4 days a week. They close on all my normal days off which is a bummer lol, but you know it's good when they can close whenever the hell they want and the dude on the phone is kinda rude too but they are freakin' busy!
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #94
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Pizza in New York was amazing!

Personally the best pizza I've had here is actually Zaccary's Pizza on Oak, the crust is brushed with olive oil and it's airy yet crispy. Delicious!
It's too bad they only open 5 hours a day, 4 days a week. They close on all my normal days off which is a bummer lol, but you know it's good when they can close whenever the hell they want and the dude on the phone is kinda rude too but they are freakin' busy!
Which pizza(s) do you like from there?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #95
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Pizza in Italy sucked imo. And I ate a lot of it in a lot of different spots.

I think it's just the romanticism of eating it there that gets people, I'd take some local joints over the Italian pizza any day.
I think in your case it could be personal preference or you just got the shit end of the stick and went to some bad pizza joints.

I love pasta, so every time we were eating out (which was everyday in Rome) we'd always order at least a pasta dish and a pizza. We never once had bad pizza in Rome and we ate at both restaurants and obscure hole in the wall take out places. Granted, some pizza was better than others, but we didn't have a slice where we were thought we got ripped off.

A lot of their pizzas are super simple as well. Most of the pizzas we ordered (whole pizzas at a restaurant or by the slice take out) had max 4-5 ingredients. Pizza dough, tomato sauce, cheese and then some variation of 1-2 toppings. Unlike the North American style of pizza where they try and throw everything plus the kitchen sink onto the dough, they strive for quality with their fresh ingredients. You might not have a fully loaded pizza, but the fresh quality ingredients definitely shine through with every bite.

Another great pizza place is Serious Pie in downtown Seattle (Thanks Slif!!!) that's run and owned by Tom Douglas. He's a pretty famous chef and restaurateur in the PNW. They do them in their big wood burning oven that you can see because of their open kitchen.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #96
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Oh man, tell me about it. 5 euros for a pretty big fresh panini and another 1 euro for an espresso was our typical breakfast/lunch combo. Drink the espresso for a little jolt of energy and then we'd split the panini for breakfast and then save the other panini for lunch when we're done visiting some morning attractions.

Check out La Grotta del Formaggio if you want awesome paninis. Look at how big and fresh they are!

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/la-grotta-de...ggio-vancouver

Another thing that we loved about Rome were the coffee bars they had setup all over the place. We saw a bunch as we got off the Rome Termini train station and then every block it seemed like there was one. Walk up and pay like 1-2 euros for an espresso and then you drink and go.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:30 AM   #97

Le Grotta is pretty good
Old 05-13-2016, 05:53 AM   #98
The sound of inevitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post

I love Italian thin crust pizza
I bet you do, fatty.

If you're all serious about great tasting burritos, do your self a favor and go to Costa Vida. Nothing you name can compare.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4

Last edited by The7even; 05-13-2016 at 06:32 AM.
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #99
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Oh man, tell me about it. 5 euros for a pretty big fresh panini and another 1 euro for an espresso was our typical breakfast/lunch combo. Drink the espresso for a little jolt of energy and then we'd split the panini for breakfast and then save the other panini for lunch when we're done visiting some morning attractions.

Check out La Grotta del Formaggio if you want awesome paninis. Look at how big and fresh they are!

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/la-grotta-de...ggio-vancouver

Another thing that we loved about Rome were the coffee bars they had setup all over the place. We saw a bunch as we got off the Rome Termini train station and then every block it seemed like there was one. Walk up and pay like 1-2 euros for an espresso and then you drink and go.
la grotta is really good but man their prices are not what they used to be.
i remember it being 8 or 9 bucks now its 13
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #100
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
If you guys are ever in Coquitlam, you need to try this place.

$8.99 pizza, unlimited toppings.

https://www.zomato.com/vancouver/hea...port-coquitlam

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote