REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #76
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
That section of the Malahat is such bullshit especially since they shortened the passing section considerably heading south a couple of years ago. Police are often there to nab people who just want to pass the slow-pokes who held traffic up for the previous 10 minutes.

If they really gave a shit about safety, they'd also nail the people going 20 under the limit when it's single-lane (assuming decent conditions, obviously) creating a line-up of frustrated drivers in their wake.

And, no, I didn't get a ticket there (I have never received a ticket anywhere). I'm the guy who goes in the right-lane behind the slow asshole, who usually speeds up to somewhere between 80 and 90 when it changes to 2 lanes, and watches everyone pass us at 120+ in the short amount of time they have to get by. Then I get to go down the hill at 50 km/h behind him, watching him unnecessarily take years off his brakes while the guy behind me tailgates the shit out of me.
Advertisement

Last edited by Jmac; 05-15-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 AM   #77
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
If you think that feel free to move to Alberta. Let me know how you feel after 1 year of living there even if you don't speed. Harsher tickets are not the answer. Education and driver awareness is the only way. Just look at what is happening in Edmonton right now. The city gained control of the Photo radar program and is making crazy profits off of it using "safety" as the backbone argument yet numbers for speeding etc have not decreased. Photo radar traps on every other light for doing 5-10km/hr over the posted limits ($130), 50km/hr over is $2500 ticket, 30 day suspension, impounded car and a court date where the fine can increase yet people still speed 50+. Red light radar, stop sign photo radar traps, sound radar (in the works for loud exhaust). Take my advice, DO NOT advocate increasing fines for the few outliers. It snowballs into that shit.

I love BC because I don't have this horrible uneasy feeling a trip to the grocery store is going to cost me $130 if I take my car.
Having lived in Vancouver for 22 years and moving to Edmonton a year ago, I 100% agree with Prudz. There's still hope for Vancouver, please don't turn into Edmonton by just increasing fine, Education and awareness would be so much hope.Driving in Edmonton is like driving in Richmond, but so much worst. The roads here are so much wider compared to Vancouver, but every time I go back to visit Vancouver it's the driving condition that makes me want to move back. Not the lack of random ass 2week 20-25 degree weather and 1 day snow, not meat and bread and all the other delicious food especially chinese, and for sure the lack of 4x4 extended cab truck that is lifted and never seen a dirt road or towed anything in it's life.

The photo radar system in Edmonton is brutal and 75% of driving is done on freeway. Imagine driving on hwy-1 and taking the Grandview/Boundry exit, you're going 80-90 and the moment you merge onto the exit lane it turn into 50. Not 100ft not 75 not 50, but the moment you switched lane from hwy-1 to 28B it's 50 and there's a cop standing there every day at 2pm-4:30-6pm Monday-Friday if weather permits and on Saturday and Sunday they hide in the island in the random bushes planted just for this. This goes on for the next 15 exit. If it's a long stretch on the freeway without exit they'll have a cop standing on the overpass shooting down as you drive by.Driving in the city feel like a new trap every day, the radars at most intersection are so sensitive unless it's a FRESH yellow it goes off. There's always new portable photo radar popping up around intersection, one day it's there one day it's not.

Despite all of this and much more, most people still drive like Richmond drivers because we all know where the radar is, we all know when they come on and off shift, we all know that random fucken garbage can that is there one day and gone the next is a camera. I have a close call everyday driving in this city because people are too distracted looking out for the radars while trying to speed and slamming on their break to go from 100-50 in under 10ft. People slamming on their break from 60-0 because that yellow light has been on for 1 second and they don't want to risk it. Most people still speed, in fact if you're not going 30 over in the right lane you get pushed aside, not going 20 over in the middle lane you get pushed to the right exit lane, not going 10 over still? well into the ditch you go.

Increasing fines to me does nothing, if you're an idiot that 1 ticket wont change you, you'll just be more cautious the next time you decide to go 200 with your g37 and burn 1/4 of the tank.Education and awareness would do so much more then creating a new way for accidents to happen. If you get caught twice driving while texting/holding your phone, you should just be suspended a year. I see no reason why you can keep paying your way out. First DUI? lose your license five year. It's silly to me how if you get caught five times being a distracted driver and all you lost was a few thousand dollars when you could have killed someone every time you got into your car.
ken24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #78
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Sounds like y'all should be thankful all this stuff is under Provincial control here, rather than being left up to the individual cities...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #79

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
23 vehicles impounded for ‘excessive’ speeding on Malahat
Cindy E. Harnett | Times Colonist
May 19, 2016 12:26 PM
Updated: May 20, 2016 07:08 AM

23 vehicles impounded for ?excessive? speeding on Malahat

HERE'S THE VIDEO: UPDATED WITH NEW VIDEO: Vehicles impounded in Malahat speeding crackdown | CHEK

Vehicles were towed away after they were stopped on the Malahat.

Twenty-three motorists are heading into the long weekend without their vehicles after they were nabbed speeding on the Malahat on Thursday — including one novice motorcyclist driving 152 kilometres an hour.

The speed sting was conducted by the Integrated Road Safety Unit starting at 5:30 a.m.

In all, the police impounded 23 vehicles for excessive speed, suspended one motorist for driving under the influence of a drug, issued 49 speeding tickets, and wrote 11 tickets for other offences.

“I’m not surprised, more disappointed that people weren’t driving appropriately,” said Const. Andy Dunstan, noting that speeding is the No. 1 cause of fatalities in B.C.

An average of 12 people are killed in speed-related crashes every year on Vancouver Island.

In a one-hour period, 10 motorists handed over their keys and were ticketed $368 to $483, excluding towing fees and other costs, for excessive speeding — travelling at least 40 km/h over the posted limit of 80 km/h.

Police were set up just south of Aspen Road, an area where police said some motorists speed to overtake other vehicles before hitting a 70 km/h zone.

“We were stopping people going 125 and 135 kilometres per hour plus, coming into that 70-kilometre zone,” Dunstan said.

Officers later set up north of the turn-off for Shawnigan Lake Road.

By that time, there was a high volume of traffic, including big trucks, on the road, slowing traffic. There were also posts on social media about the earlier speed trap and other vehicles flashing their lights to warn oncoming motorists of the speed trap ahead — and still “people were coming in at 140 and 150 kilometres per hour,” Dunstan said.

An additional 13 vehicles were impounded for excessive speeding, including two motorcycles. One car pulled over for excessive speeding had child in the front seat.

“This is a major intersection on this part of the highway. Vehicles — semi-trailers and dump trucks carrying pup trailers — are turning across other vehicles that are travelling in excess of 140 kilometres per hour. How does that make any sense?” he said.

One of two motorcyclists pulled over for excessive speeding was said by police to be driving 152 km/h in an 80 km/h zone.

The man said he thought the speed limit was low for a major highway. He was running late and had been headed to Victoria to go to school and work. He is a designated novice motorcyclist “who had no valid insurance,” police said.

Colleen Woodger, road co-ordinator for Insurance Corp. of B.C., said posted speed limits are for days when the roads are dry and visibility is good.

“When you’re seeing high-risk behaviours [including speeding] like we’re seeing today, that increases your risks significantly for a crash,” Woodger said. “It’s pretty shocking behaviour today, and we’re really glad we’re able to connect with those drivers and remind them of that.”
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #80

^ just to add, according to CRD Traffic Safety Commission (https://samanthabratty.wordpress.com/) people speed excessively all the time on Malahat Highway.

They have been trying to slow people down for years but been unsuccessful.

I wonder why they fail to think that raising the speed limit to 85th percentile is a good idea.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #81
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
23 vehicles impounded for ‘excessive’ speeding on Malahat
Cindy E. Harnett | Times Colonist
May 19, 2016 12:26 PM
Updated: May 20, 2016 07:08 AM

23 vehicles impounded for ?excessive? speeding on Malahat

HERE'S THE VIDEO: UPDATED WITH NEW VIDEO: Vehicles impounded in Malahat speeding crackdown | CHEK

Vehicles were towed away after they were stopped on the Malahat.

Twenty-three motorists are heading into the long weekend without their vehicles after they were nabbed speeding on the Malahat on Thursday — including one novice motorcyclist driving 152 kilometres an hour.

The speed sting was conducted by the Integrated Road Safety Unit starting at 5:30 a.m.

In all, the police impounded 23 vehicles for excessive speed, suspended one motorist for driving under the influence of a drug, issued 49 speeding tickets, and wrote 11 tickets for other offences.

“I’m not surprised, more disappointed that people weren’t driving appropriately,” said Const. Andy Dunstan, noting that speeding is the No. 1 cause of fatalities in B.C.

An average of 12 people are killed in speed-related crashes every year on Vancouver Island.

In a one-hour period, 10 motorists handed over their keys and were ticketed $368 to $483, excluding towing fees and other costs, for excessive speeding — travelling at least 40 km/h over the posted limit of 80 km/h.

Police were set up just south of Aspen Road, an area where police said some motorists speed to overtake other vehicles before hitting a 70 km/h zone.

“We were stopping people going 125 and 135 kilometres per hour plus, coming into that 70-kilometre zone,” Dunstan said.

Officers later set up north of the turn-off for Shawnigan Lake Road.

By that time, there was a high volume of traffic, including big trucks, on the road, slowing traffic. There were also posts on social media about the earlier speed trap and other vehicles flashing their lights to warn oncoming motorists of the speed trap ahead — and still “people were coming in at 140 and 150 kilometres per hour,” Dunstan said.

An additional 13 vehicles were impounded for excessive speeding, including two motorcycles. One car pulled over for excessive speeding had child in the front seat.

“This is a major intersection on this part of the highway. Vehicles — semi-trailers and dump trucks carrying pup trailers — are turning across other vehicles that are travelling in excess of 140 kilometres per hour. How does that make any sense?” he said.

One of two motorcyclists pulled over for excessive speeding was said by police to be driving 152 km/h in an 80 km/h zone.

The man said he thought the speed limit was low for a major highway. He was running late and had been headed to Victoria to go to school and work. He is a designated novice motorcyclist “who had no valid insurance,” police said.

Colleen Woodger, road co-ordinator for Insurance Corp. of B.C., said posted speed limits are for days when the roads are dry and visibility is good.

“When you’re seeing high-risk behaviours [including speeding] like we’re seeing today, that increases your risks significantly for a crash,” Woodger said. “It’s pretty shocking behaviour today, and we’re really glad we’re able to connect with those drivers and remind them of that.”
Good haul for the revenue collectors. All in a days work.
Curren$y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #82
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
pls spoiler that...
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #83

Police needs to fill in their quotas.

Although each officers may not have quotas like "x amount of ticket / month", the police forces are always under the pressure to generate revenue.

The government want to make money, and speeding tickets are bread and butter for the government.

Not too long ago, the Winnipeg City Hall told the police to raise additional $1.4 million in traffic ticket revenue. This kind of stuff is nothing new.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/are-police-...otas-1.1129762

The City of Victoria lowered the speed limit to 40km/h, down from 50km/h.
They're going against what road engineers have told them.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #84

Also if you look at ICBC accidents stats, including Malahat (or any highway for that matter) is very safe compare to intersections around busy roads.

You can go on ICBC website and see the accident stats for the last 5 years.
That section in Malahat had only 1 digit accident in the last 5 years... where as busy roads in Victoria like the intersection at McKenzie and Shelbourn(I think?) had like 3 digit accidents in the last 5 years.

I don't think cops ever sit around on the intersection to keep roads safe, rather, they would set speed traps on highways. Why do cops do this?

Because it's so much easier to find "excessive speeders"

You will see people going 120km/h on the highway ALL THE TIME. Whereas you won't see people going 90km/h on the urban area or residence area as much.
Except ridiculous 50 zone like Marine Dr. in Vancouver. The 85th percentile at Marine Dr. is 79km/h, which means the speed limit should be 80km/h, but they put 50km/h sign anyways to generate more revenue. So that they can virtually pull over anyone on the road.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #85
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Oh I bet they were all Racing. FUcking tarts
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #86
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i didn't even think you could excessively speed in a PT cruiser
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #87
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
That's an hhr actually
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #88
RS Lurker, I don't post!

The funniest thing is I got a ticket by driving 53 at 50 zone, the reason is the cop think my car is loud so he think i am driving fast, but there is a sign which measure my speed when I going up hill of knight. But somehow he said the sign is not accurate.
peebking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebking View Post
The funniest thing is I got a ticket by driving 53 at 50 zone, the reason is the cop think my car is loud so he think i am driving fast, but there is a sign which measure my speed when I going up hill of knight. But somehow he said the sign is not accurate.
I wonder why he gave you a speeding ticket for going 53km/h instead of unnecessary noise ticket.

Motor Vehicle Act Section: 7A.01
Unnecessary noise, $109, 3 points

Fines & points for B.C. traffic offences
Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #90
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
You get speeding ticket doing 53 in a 50 in Vancouver. I call BS unless you post a vid with speed stamp. Likely story there. Cops here are fucking saints. Stop bitching and appreciate it.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 AM   #91
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Except ridiculous 50 zone like Marine Dr. in Vancouver. The 85th percentile at Marine Dr. is 79km/h, which means the speed limit should be 80km/h, but they put 50km/h sign anyways to generate more revenue. So that they can virtually pull over anyone on the road.
don't worry, with all those new lights/intersections at river district it'll be sure to slow all your asses down to 50

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #92
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ Sure, if you want everyone to have to take German-style license tests, and German-level vehicle inspections to the tune of a bunch of extra money.
Agreed. Our roads, vehicles and drivers are generally less safe. Hence the lower speeds.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #93

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
^ just to add, according to CRD Traffic Safety Commission (https://samanthabratty.wordpress.com/) people speed excessively all the time on Malahat Highway.

They have been trying to slow people down for years but been unsuccessful.

I wonder why they fail to think that raising the speed limit to 85th percentile is a good idea.

As someone who used to commute the Malahat daily, and still drives it at least a couple times a month, my experience makes me qualified to say that drivers simply driving along at 100-110 *in good weather conditions* are not what makes it unsafe.

It's the drivers who are weaving through traffic like some sort of slalom, or hogging the left lane (exacerbating the weaving), or inattentive/distracted, or just plain such bad drivers that can't handle their vehicle to take a few turns and hills (crossing centerlines) that make it unsafe.

I had one incident where a woman almost put me into the median when she neglected to look to her left mirrors and almost change lanes into me. Speed would have had nothing to do with that accident if it happened.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
As someone who used to commute the Malahat daily, and still drives it at least a couple times a month, my experience makes me qualified to say that drivers simply driving along at 100-110 *in good weather conditions* are not what makes it unsafe.

It's the drivers who are weaving through traffic like some sort of slalom, or hogging the left lane (exacerbating the weaving), or inattentive/distracted, or just plain such bad drivers that can't handle their vehicle to take a few turns and hills (crossing centerlines) that make it unsafe.

I had one incident where a woman almost put me into the median when she neglected to look to her left mirrors and almost change lanes into me. Speed would have had nothing to do with that accident if it happened.
If weather is bad, fog, rain, snow, whatever, people WILL slow down.
Research after research showed that people will drive at whatever speed they think is safe. So the 85th percentile rule makes sense as everybody else says.

So yeah, 100km/h or 110km/h limit will be completely safe. If there's a heavy rain or something, it's not likely people would push the limit and corner at 110km/h.
As you said, it's the behavior and distraction that's making it dangerous, not the speed.

That Malahat speed trap on that long straight downhill spot is nothing but a cash grab. If you look at ICBC accident stat, the probability of accidents occurring on that particular spot is much lower than intersections on busy roads where people cut lanes, do not understand right of way, get distracted, etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
Agreed. Our roads, vehicles and drivers are generally less safe. Hence the lower speeds.
Not it's not.
Sure, Germans have better cars.

But in Canada too, if everybody is driving/cruising at 70km/h, artificially trying to drop the speed down to 50km/h by simply posting too-low speed limit and writing tickets will not make roads any safer.

It only simply causes more people to hate cops.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #96

I wonder if enough people sign up for petition on change.org or something, maybe CRD(Capital Regional District) or any other Regional District will review the speed limit on highways.

The BC Government says the speed limit should be at 85th percentile.
Frequently Asked Questions
"The guiding principle in establishing a regulatory speed limit is the use of the 85th percentile speed concept. This means that setting the speed limit as near as practicable to the speed limit at which 85% of traffic is traveling at or below under ideal road and weather conditions is the basis for a speed limit."

So the government say they follow 85th percentile, but it's clearly a lie.
If you look at not only Malahat, but Trans Canada Highway and all that, NOBODY drives at or below speed limit.

and the BC Government even say this themselves:
"It is a popular misconception that reducing the regulatory posted speed will automatically reduce the speed of traffic. Similarly, raising the regulatory posted speed limit will not necessarily increase the speed of traffic. Studies have shown that drivers will tend to disregard regulatory posted speed limits that they deem unreasonable. An unrealistically low speed limit will simply result in speed differentials between the few motorist who actually will obey the regulatory limit, and the majority who disregard it. If the unrealistic regulatory speed limit were to be enforced it may create antagonism toward the police and traffic laws in general."

So basically, the police is causing more hazard on the road.
The police artificially trying to slow down the flow of traffic by writing ticket will cause more speed differentials, which contributes nothing to the safety.
They should just let the traffic flow for safety.

Last edited by Timpo; 06-01-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #97

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
This discussion reminds me of a local road that was just repaved and widened after years of neglect. I drive this road several times a week during hockey season to go watch games at my parents' house.

This road has been a 70 km/h zone for at least the last 20 years and used to pass an elementary school, which reduced the limit to 50 km/h when children on the sidewalk. It had been in terrible condition for the past decade or so. Dividing lines barely visible, bumpy as hell, lots of undulations, etc.

Over the course of the last year, they repaved the road, widened the lanes, put sidewalks on both sides (rather than the previous one), removed the old crosswalk to the old school, flattened out the undulations.

When they re-opened the road, they had reduced the speed limit to 60 km/h ... Despite numerous safety upgrades, despite me never seeing an accident on that road during any of the hundreds of times I'd driven it ...

How the hell did this clearly substantially safer road become 10 km/h less safe than the old shitty road it replaced?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #98
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post

How the hell did this clearly substantially safer road become 10 km/h less safe than the old shitty road it replaced?
Magic.

Victoria changed the speed to 40 KPH and now transit is complaining because the buses are running late and they are losing up to 30 trips a day.

B.C. Transit: Victoria?s 40 km/h speed limits slowing down buses
Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #99
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Guy will receive a drp.
kdmturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Magic.

Victoria changed the speed to 40 KPH and now transit is complaining because the buses are running late and they are losing up to 30 trips a day.

B.C. Transit: Victoria?s 40 km/h speed limits slowing down buses
The vast majority of speeding ticket is nothing but a cash grab. When people are travelling at flow of traffic, they should not deserve a speeding ticket.
I'm not talking about Lamborghini blasting 300+km/h on highway, I'm talking about 120+km/h on Malahat and other highways.

Watch the video, it's 2016 and we have an idiot talking "speed kills, all the studies show that speed kills"
BC Transit asks for U-turn on Victoria?s 40 km/h speed limit | CTV Vancouver Island News