REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #101
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Most speed tickets are just cash grabs. If you really think about it these speed limits were placed years ago when cars were very heavy and didn't have stopping power we have today. There are some areas that the speed limit imo is just way too low like someone mentioned marine and boundary area there's no sidewalk there's nothing there to have such a low speed limit. Meanwhile cops are there with their speed traps all the time
Advertisement
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #102
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Love this quote from the Victoria mayor:

Quote:
“We do things, we learn things and then we do different thing
Old 06-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #103
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Love this quote from the Victoria mayor:
yeah I know...

they're always trying to do things and try things to make money, but never do anything for road safety.

why did they decrease the speed to 40km/h? I would actually raise it to 60km/h
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #104

Studies have shown that increasing the speed limit is the safest thing to do.

Cops giving out speeding ticket is contributing nothing to the safety.
They're causing more accidents, road rage, more people will hate cops, it makes cops have nothing better to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about DUI and/or Street Racing, I'm talking about cops giving out speeding tickets when people are driving at "flow of traffic" not "street racing" don't get these two things mixed up.

Research has shown that if they LOWER the speed limit, it will cause 5.4% MORE accidents, however if they RAISE the speed, it will cause 6.7% LESS accidents
https://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html
"Accidents at the 58 experimental sites where speed limits were lowered increased by 5.4 percent"
"Accidents at the 41 experimental sites where speed limits were raised decreased by 6.7 percent"
Old 06-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #105

I found this on BC Ministry of Transportation website.

The speed limit is too low for sure. The "maximum speed" is becoming "minimum speed" on many roads

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications...iew_report.pdf

Based on years of experience and observation, the following fundamental concepts have been
used to establish realistic speed zones.

The majority of motorists drive at a speed they consider reasonable, and safe for road,
traffic, and environmental conditions. Posted limits which are set higher or lower than
dictated by roadway and traffic conditions are ignored by the majority of motorists.

The normally careful and competent actions of a reasonable person should be
considered legal.

A speed limit should be set so that the majority of motorists observe it voluntarily and
enforcement can be directed to the minority of offenders.

A speed limit should seem too fast for a majority of users or it is not a maximum limit.

A driver’s choice of speed can impose risks on other road users. Crash severity
increases with increasing speeds because in a collision, the amount of kinetic energy
dissipated is proportional to the square of the velocity. Crashes, however, appear to
depend less on speed and more on the variation in speeds. The likelihood of a crash
occurring is significantly greater for motorists traveling at speed slower and faster than
the mean speed of traffic.

Maximum speed limits are set for ideal road, traffic, and environmental conditions.

Last edited by Timpo; 06-08-2016 at 06:51 PM.
This post thanked by: