REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #51
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"What I'm saying is that it's a huge fucking inconvenience in some cases to obey some law that was brought in with clear intention of increasing revenues." Consider that 88 people were killed by distracted drivers in one year and DD is now the single major cause of fatal crashes....more so than impaired in the mid 50's.. maybe that has something to do with it...and not increasing revenues?
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #52
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The absolute number 88 means anything to you honestly? Do you just consume whatever the shit you get thrown at?

There are increasingly more people on the road compared to 50's so I'm not sure how you are making sense of that 88.

I never denied distracted driving in general will not likely lead to more accidents. What bothers me is the oversimplistic way cash hungry govt comes up to solve it. What about Tesla owners? I've seen multiple occasions the distracted fuckheads playing with their giant screen in their car. You think reaching your hand to the screen AND looking at the screen figure out which buttons to press is safer than simply holding a phone and talking?

Oh boy, it's just so easy to say factor A causes B and implement a fine. And it looks like there are plenty out there who are willing to eat it. With govt continuing to increase the amount of fines, you better hope there will actually be reduction in accidents resulting from it.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2016, 07:43 AM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
^^

Unless I'm misreading what Zulutango is referring to by mid 50's is the number of deaths caused by impaired drivers compared to 80+ for Distracted Drivers. In other words DD causes more deaths then drinking and driving.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #54
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
People lie...a lot...

Anyone who's gotten a ticket will try to justify the fact that they weren't on their phone when they know they were and they're just pissed that they got caught. I've been in a car with someone who got a speeding ticket...and yeah, he was speeding. A few days later I hear from a mutual friend how its bullshit that cops have nothing better to do than to give tickets to people doing 55kmph like **** did. Bull...shit! He was doing a lot more than 55 and telling people otherwise to make him seem like a victim. Just like all the distracted drivers do.

I'm in a truck, and you'd be surprised as to how many cars I can see into with a phone in their lap or holding it just a bit lower than their steering wheel to make it look like they're head isn't pointed down.

If I get a text while driving, fuck it. If its that important they can call me and I'll push the button on the steering wheel and answer the call.
I don't know about that, I've gotten plenty of tickets more then I'd like to admit and not once did I ever get a ticket I wasn't guilty of, that includes a DD ticket when the laws first came into effect. I always pay them right away have never fought them, I never argue with the officer either. Do you know why I pulled you over? Yes, I was going to fast or yes I was talking on my phone sorry about that. There has been times when being honest has gotten me off with a warning as well.

Those days of driving like a tool and getting loads of tickets are behind me, haven't gotten on in a lot of years knock on wood.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #55
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
I never denied distracted driving in general will not likely lead to more accidents. What bothers me is the oversimplistic way cash hungry govt comes up to solve it.

Oh boy, it's just so easy to say factor A causes B and implement a fine. And it looks like there are plenty out there who are willing to eat it. With govt continuing to increase the amount of fines, you better hope there will actually be reduction in accidents resulting from it.
okay, i'm as skeptical of government moves as the next guy but i've gotta ask, how would you solve it? What's a non-oversimplistic way that won't cost money that taxpayers will bitch and moan about to curb distracted driving?
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Anyone know of hands free control options for an Android phone? I'm using a Nexus 5 still on Kit Kat. My old iPhone had a wireless remote that mounted to my steering wheel and I could change music tracks. Would like something similar for my Android but haven't found anything.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
What are governments going to do when cars start driving themselves. They are going to lose so much in revenue and cops are going to have so much more free time.
They can simply tax car owners by charging "Road Usage Fee" along with road maintenance fee, blah blah blah..
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Don't do the crime, don't pay the fine, keep all your cash. Pretty simple.

If it's YOUR CHOICE to break the law, then it's your choice to pay the price when caught.
Speeding isn't a crime. Sure it's against the rule, but it's not a crime like DUI, murder, robbery, arson, etc.

Speeding is under Motor Vehicle Act, not Criminal Code of Canada.
If you speed, you get a ticket, it's a regulatory matter. No criminal record or jail time will result from simple speeding.

I don't think anyone would complain if speeding tickets actually made sense.
To anyone's eye, it seems like they're setting speed limit artificially low so that they can generate revenue for speeding.

Again, the flow of traffic is the key. The speed limit needs to be set at 85th percentile like we all know. Not 0th percentile.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #59
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
Anyone know of hands free control options for an Android phone? I'm using a Nexus 5 still on Kit Kat. My old iPhone had a wireless remote that mounted to my steering wheel and I could change music tracks. Would like something similar for my Android but haven't found anything.
I would assume a bluetooth device exists, just need to find it. I wouldn't mind having one too, sometimes I have my phone playing music on shuffle and the order it's picking songs is no bueno.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #60

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Hand...hands-free+kit

something like that?

i'm assuming there are cheaper alternatives if you look around
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #61
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
okay, i'm as skeptical of government moves as the next guy but i've gotta ask, how would you solve it? What's a non-oversimplistic way that won't cost money that taxpayers will bitch and moan about to curb distracted driving?
Why not just licence suspensions for repeat offenders? When you're sitting on the bus you have plenty of time to call or text.

Money is such an odd way of disciplining people. For those who don't have it then yes it may work, but for those who have lots of it why would they change their ways when just throwing more money at it makes the situation go away?

It should be an even playing field, and taking your license away is about as fair as it gets.

You can't call it a cash grab when they are just taking those drivers off the road.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #62

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,688 Posts
Why wouldn't people think this is a cash grab? If you really believe anytime the province decides to up fees on offenses, much as they did with the drinking and driving law, and you think that increased funds doesn't come into the equation, than you are out to lunch.

If it wasn't a cash grab, and the province was serious about enforcing safety, than why not just suspend your license for x amount of days if you are caught? Wouldn't that be enough enforcement without the innate fees?

Let's be real here. I see more dangers with Mainland drivers who carry Chinese licences on the road than I do with people checking their phones at a red light. Do you see the province addressing that? Well of course not, ICBC wouldn't want to miss out on this insurance premiums on that N covered BWW 5 Series

I was also reading that ICBC subsidizes part of the salaries for Traffic Authority Police Officers aka Traffic Cops? Is this actually true? If that is the case, that definitely smells funky to me.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Why not just licence suspensions for repeat offenders? When you're sitting on the bus you have plenty of time to call or text.
From my understanding, it looks like after the 2nd offence, the offenders are subject to a review which may or may not lead to suspensions.
1st offence = automatic review for L or N's
2nd offence onwards = automatic review for anyone regardless of license class

I'm pretty sure those reviews weren't around during this law's first incarnation. The question now is, at what point will the review panel suspend people as that standard has not yet been set and i don't think that's been outlined either. But I would assume (citing the overall perception of this issue) they will start issuing minimum suspension at 2nd offence that gradually grows in severity with each offence.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #64
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Cash grab or not, whats going to hit someone with a harder impact that'll leave a lasting impression and get the law imbeded into their brains:

A driving ban and a small fine

Or

A driving ban and a huge fine which will hit you where it hurts - your wallet

I honestly couldn't care less if the fine was a 1 year ban and a 1000$ fine. I don't use my phone while driving so I've nothing to worry about. A good portion of the time my phone is burried in my bag sitting on the back seat.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #65
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I don't have an issue with the increased fines, the previous fine wasn't much, at least with the escalating fines and review of your license with the 2nd offense, it might make some think twice. A combination of increasing fines and license suspension I think is good. I don't think license suspension alone, without a significant monetary penalty would work too well either as there are a number of people who will still drive without a license, a number of times I recall hearing people being caught driving without a proper license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I was also reading that ICBC subsidizes part of the salaries for Traffic Authority Police Officers aka Traffic Cops? Is this actually true? If that is the case, that definitely smells funky to me.
I think you are confusing the Traffic Authority municipal constables with VPD officers assigned to the traffic section and enforcement unit. The Traffic Authority members are restricted peace officers not police officers, they essentially just direct traffic and deal with street closures for special events such as the fire works, marathons, filming, etc... To my knowledge Traffic Authority program is part of the VPD operating budget and event organizers pay fees/permits that cover having Traffic Authority members on site to close streets/direct traffic.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #66

The fact that the chart shows fines up to the 10th offence shows to me that they aren't planning on suspending licenses after a couple of infractions. While I agree that raising the fines are partly there to stop people from using their phone while driving, until it's shown that they are suspending people after 2-3 offenses then it's clear they want the extra revenue from it.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The fact that the chart shows fines up to the 10th offence shows to me that they aren't planning on suspending licenses after a couple of infractions. While I agree that raising the fines are partly there to stop people from using their phone while driving, until it's shown that they are suspending people after 2-3 offenses then it's clear they want the extra revenue from it.
But I can argue that they only show the tenth infraction as a way to emphasize the premium effects, not necessarily to stipulate a suspension level.

The fact is that there now 10 levels and 10 steps a premium can rise. Anything beyond that is your personal interpretation of the facts available aka you see what you want to see.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
But I can argue that they only show the tenth infraction as a way to emphasize the premium effects, not necessarily to stipulate a suspension level.

The fact is that there now 10 levels and 10 steps a premium can rise. Anything beyond that is your personal interpretation of the facts available aka you see what you want to see.
A better way to emphasize things would be after the 3rd offense it just says:

4th Offense: Suspension 3 months
5th Offense: Suspension 1 year
6th Offense: Suspension 2 years

And so on...add a large find on top of the suspensions too. The whole "review" process sounds sketchy to me. It honestly feels like a way to let certain people (rich or connected) stay on the road while others get the shaft. It should be black and white regardless of who you are.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #69

I'm sure we'll be hearing from the media or user experience here. Wouldn't be surprised to see 3 month suspensions at 2nd or 3rd offence.

That kinda left me scratching my head as well...the mandatory review after 2 strikes and the vagueness of it. Seems like lazy policy making to me more than anything else though. Give it a year, then we'll see what the precedence and overall disciplinary trends are.

And if you find you're not satisfied with the information being released to the public regarding the application of the new law, you could always request under freedom of information so you can come to better conclusions.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #70
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I think on the 3rd time you get caught you should get suspend for 3months
4th time 6months
5th suspend for 5 years
Record reset every 2 years.

If you are suspend and got caught driving and using your phone you get suspended for life and this stays in your driving record across Canada. You have no idea how fines don't work on some of these rich people espeically rich kids. Is their parents money and really even if the fines are $1000 each is pocket change to them. The only way they learn is take away their right to drive. Remember driving is not a right is a privillage.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #71

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Public shaming for repeat offenders is what I'm game for..

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #72
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Why wouldn't people think this is a cash grab? If you really believe anytime the province decides to up fees on offenses, much as they did with the drinking and driving law, and you think that increased funds doesn't come into the equation, than you are out to lunch.

If it wasn't a cash grab, and the province was serious about enforcing safety, than why not just suspend your license for x amount of days if you are caught? Wouldn't that be enough enforcement without the innate fees?

Let's be real here. I see more dangers with Mainland drivers who carry Chinese licences on the road than I do with people checking their phones at a red light. Do you see the province addressing that? Well of course not, ICBC wouldn't want to miss out on this insurance premiums on that N covered BWW 5 Series

Finally someone with a sense vs. fuckwits simpletons roaming on this forum thinking the new increased fines will remove their daily annoyances of dealing with distracted drivers and save lives. Just a further evidence that government loves this type of cash grab because hey, how can you oppose a law that will save lives?

Why tiered fines too? Why not just increase the length of probation because that is very costly to the driver, actually much costlier to the driver compared to paying cash. But nah, govt doesn't want that because ideally they would love to have you keep driving the car and continue to pay increasingly higher fines.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #73

Given the fact that BC has pretty bad public transit system, losing a license can mean more than 3 months ban for joy ride for car enthusiasts.

People need car for work, pick up children from school, drop them off at swimming lesson, go buy groceries, etc.

Many people commute from Abbotsford to Vancouver to work.
If you drive that route every single day, and we know we all "speed" everyday multiple times, it would just be a matter of time til you lose your license.

Not advocating driving & texting, just saying that losing license could mean serious inconvenience for some people.

Since texting is just as dangerous as DUI, I can understand that.
What I still don't get is speeding ticket. For example, Marine Drive's speed limit is 50km/h, but the 85th percentile is 79km/h according to the YouTube video "Speed Kills Your Pocketbook".
So the speed limit of Marine Drive should be 80km/h instead of 50km/h if you're actually concerned about safety.
If you ever drive Marine Drive at 90km/h, you will get an Excessive Speeding ticket and your vehicle will be impounded. Which makes no sense.
Going 10km/h over the 85th percentile should not result in Excessive Speeding ticket($368) and vehicle impound.
But just because someone who works for the government that has no road engineering background decided to post 50km/h on Marine Drive, you will be labelled as high risk driver if you go over 10km/h over the 85th percentile.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #74

I feel like if you're getting multiple tickets a year then the problem is you. I've driven here over 15 years and generally go with the flow of traffic. I've gotten one speeding ticket (well deserved too) in my life. So either I'm just lucky, or the people who get lots of tickets just drive like assholes.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #75
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Friends have told me you can be ticketed for having your screen on & the phone mounted on the dash.

Is this true? I use my phone all the time for navigation but I don't touch it
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote