REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #101
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
once self driving cars becomes the norm we won't have to have this discussion anymore.
hopefully it's within our lifetimes.
Advertisement
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #102
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
The argument started when I called it a fucking cash grab followed by dimwits who thought the increased fine on distracted driving is justified and somehow will make life better. The dumbfucks seemed to have taken one of the following positions:

1. I don't use cellphone anyway so it won't affect me.
2. This new increased fines will rid of my problems dealing with distracted drivers.
3. It's a law so you better obey it or pay the price.

None of them have considered what the fuck it really means to be "distracted" and they think it just revolves around electronic devices. Once the numbskulls agree with and support any policy that prevents "distracted" driving, govt will have much easier time expanding their definitions.

God forbid any of you press any fucking buttons in your car while driving. Don't even bother talking to passengers, let alone even facing them. Keep your fking eyes straight and don't enjoy any scenery. Music? Audiobooks? Fuck no. Wanna complain? Don't because our study shows any form of distraction could potentially lead to higher rate of accidents. You can't find the study? No need to because general public doesn't give a shit and who wouldn't support a law that saves lives?

Some fucks support this increased penalty and talk like some saint who's never done anything that constitutes as a form distraction. Start crying once govt decides to reach into your pocket for fiddling with your car's infotainment system at a stop light, with underqualifed cops making the judgment.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #103
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
As much as driving should be a privilege, ultimately, driving is a right.
Reason I say this is because people will revolt if it's too hard to obtain a license. And 75% of the people on the road today will fail those types of designated closed track tests. Once majority's not able to drive, they will complain and complain and eventually ICBC will get overthrown until driving becomes a right.

The system is broken and it's pretty tough to grandfather a new system in.

It's like trying to take guns away from Americans.
Sorry is still a privilege. You can still live and go on your daily lives without driving. Lot's of people don't drive/can't drive. If it is a right then everyone should be able to drive and that means driving liscense should be handed out to you for free and everyone who lives in Canada can apply one without any test.

If you care for your privilege of driving then you will obey the law (somewhat) and not get your liscense suspended.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #104
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
once self driving cars becomes the norm we won't have to have this discussion anymore.
hopefully it's within our lifetimes.
It will happen in the next 5 years or less.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #105
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Meh..honestly it had to happen I don't care if it's
a cash grab or not, the only way to hit idiots is in the wallet.
I have to agree with you here.
While I still think it's draconian to fine someone $500 for looking at their phone at the stoplight, it's a necessary step to keep the roads safer.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to think that the roads are mine (so get the hell out of my way!). But there are a lot of folks on the roads these days. Add in a couple of aggressive or distracted drivers to the pack, and bad things are bound to happen. I wish I would have posted my dashcam video of me driving in Richmond a couple of weekends ago. Three near misses in the span of 5 minutes, and I'm driving a big grey truck! It was people who weren't looking, or were screwing around on their phones.

Most drivers on the roads are good and know how things work. This law isn't for those people. It's for the stupid teenage N driver chick who almost swerved into my lane yesterday. Civic vs Tundra in a head on? I think I know who's going to get hurt in that scenario. So if these crazy fines mean keeping her safe so her parents don't have to bury their daughter, then I'm all for it.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #106
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Meh..honestly it had to happen I don't care if it's a cash grab or not, the only way to hit idiots is in the wallet.

Literally -everyone- is on their fucking phones these days, I know I occasionally check it at lights etc but I've gone out of my way not to touch it while driving now. It is scary though how many people I see just cruising along with their face down in their phone. Somthing obviously had to be done
Again, raising the speed limit "might" be the answer.
Look at Germany, higher speed limit, but people focus on the road more.

If everyone is going 180+km/h(just as an example) on the highway, how many people do you think will be looking down checking their Facebook/Instagram?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #107
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I have to agree with you here.
While I still think it's draconian to fine someone $500 for looking at their phone at the stoplight, it's a necessary step to keep the roads safer.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to think that the roads are mine (so get the hell out of my way!). But there are a lot of folks on the roads these days. Add in a couple of aggressive or distracted drivers to the pack, and bad things are bound to happen. I wish I would have posted my dashcam video of me driving in Richmond a couple of weekends ago. Three near misses in the span of 5 minutes, and I'm driving a big grey truck! It was people who weren't looking, or were screwing around on their phones.

Most drivers on the roads are good and know how things work. This law isn't for those people. It's for the stupid teenage N driver chick who almost swerved into my lane yesterday. Civic vs Tundra in a head on? I think I know who's going to get hurt in that scenario. So if these crazy fines mean keeping her safe so her parents don't have to bury their daughter, then I'm all for it.
Don't automatically blame on teenagers.
a 32 year old adult can be posting facebook status a second before crash.
Driver posts Facebook update before dying in head-on collision - National | Globalnews.ca
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #108
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,315 Times in 5,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Again, raising the speed limit "might" be the answer.
Look at Germany, higher speed limit, but people focus on the road more.

If everyone is going 180+km/h(just as an example) on the highway, how many people do you think will be looking down checking their Facebook/Instagram?
Guarantee if the speed limit was 150 on HWY 90% of the people would still be on their phone.

People don't understand how to drive here. They are cruising in the left lane going 90km looking at their phone. The culture nor the infrastructure is here to support those speeds
Old 05-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #109
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Don't automatically blame on teenagers.
a 32 year old adult can be posting facebook status a second before crash.
Driver posts Facebook update before dying in head-on collision - National | Globalnews.ca

I'm not blaming teenagers, but they make up the bulk of driving deaths every year.
Not to mention, I did actually have an encounter with that girl yesterday, so personal experience and all. Combine with the fact that I have a teen, and when I was 17 I almost died in an auto accident. I've always loved cars, and surrounded myself with car people. But at my age, I've also seen the tragic side of cars and how bad things can turn out when you're not focussed on the road. My back is still screwed up from when I broke it at 17.

Injuries from car wrecks are the gift that keeps on giving. Like some shitty book of the month club.

But the story you posted really sucks.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #110
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It will happen in the next 5 years or less.
can't say i share your optimism.. i just can't see that type of tech being affordable or worked out properly in such a short time. i know there have a lot of successful tests but there's some complications that you just know are going to delay the rollout of these types of cars. insurance/liabilities, thoroughly tested real world saftey, new/changes in laws, etc... i'd be pretty happy to even see them for sale in the next 10 years. once they go for sale though, it's a sure thing that they're gonna sell like crazy.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #111
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
Quote:
can't say i share your optimism.. i just can't see that type of tech being affordable or worked out properly in such a short time. i know There have a lot of successful tests but there's some complications that you just know are going to delay the rollout of these types of cars. insurance/liabilities, thoroughly tested real world saftey, new/changes in laws, etc... i'd be pretty happy to even see them for sale in the next 10 years. once they go for sale though, it's a sure thing that they're gonna sell like crazy.
It might not be affordable like available in a $30000 car but it will be here. Mercedes say they will have a car out by 2020 and Lyft will be testing self driving cars by next year. Lyft is an Uber competitor and has a 500 million dollar investment from GM.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #112
SFICC-03*

i'd rather buy a nissan micra cheap POS self driving car for 30k than a much nicer 30k decked out mazda 3. hopefully the tech makes its way down past the luxury car market and into the average consumer market soon. took a while for hybrid cars to do it, but now you can buy a nissan leaf for.......................fuck....just researched it.............32k (starting)

edit: who the hell would pay 40k after tax for a nissan leaf??
Old 05-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #113
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
The argument started when I called it a fucking cash grab followed by dimwits who thought the increased fine on distracted driving is justified and somehow will make life better. The dumbfucks seemed to have taken one of the following positions:

1. I don't use cellphone anyway so it won't affect me.
2. This new increased fines will rid of my problems dealing with distracted drivers.
3. It's a law so you better obey it or pay the price.

None of them have considered what the fuck it really means to be "distracted" and they think it just revolves around electronic devices. Once the numbskulls agree with and support any policy that prevents "distracted" driving, govt will have much easier time expanding their definitions.

God forbid any of you press any fucking buttons in your car while driving. Don't even bother talking to passengers, let alone even facing them. Keep your fking eyes straight and don't enjoy any scenery. Music? Audiobooks? Fuck no. Wanna complain? Don't because our study shows any form of distraction could potentially lead to higher rate of accidents. You can't find the study? No need to because general public doesn't give a shit and who wouldn't support a law that saves lives?

Some fucks support this increased penalty and talk like some saint who's never done anything that constitutes as a form distraction. Start crying once govt decides to reach into your pocket for fiddling with your car's infotainment system at a stop light, with underqualifed cops making the judgment.

Slippery slope fallacy...

There's a big difference between idiots with their heads down on their phones vs. pushing buttons on the stereo or turning your head to enjoy the scenery...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #114
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
That's right, instead of cops driving around to hit drivers on the phone while moving, pitch a tent under skytrain shade in hot summer and ticket those glancing at their phone while standing still at red light. Only idiots use their phones at red light. Smart ppl use their phone while moving and put it away as they approach red light.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #115
x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
Only idiots use their phones at red light. Smart ppl use their phone while moving and put it away as they approach red light.
Yes of course, why don't we ask the people who have died from using their phone while moving, compared to those who were stopped at a red light. Then explain to me who the "smart" ones are.
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmhaze View Post
Yes of course, why don't we ask the people who have died from using their phone while moving, compared to those who were stopped at a red light. Then explain to me who the "smart" ones are.
did I fail at sarcasm?
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #117
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmhaze View Post
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #118
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Slippery slope fallacy...

There's a big difference between idiots with their heads down on their phones vs. pushing buttons on the stereo or turning your head to enjoy the scenery...
Don't tell me you think govt doesn't love slippery slope. However you spin it, it is a form of distracted driving. You seriously think taking eyes off the road and reaching out to press a button is safer than holding a phone?

You are aware that cops has the ability, and you can fucking bet the willingness, to issue you a ticket for just holding your phone right? There's absolutely nothing to stop them from expanding the definitions of distracted driving.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #119
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
i'd rather buy a nissan micra cheap POS self driving car for 30k than a much nicer 30k decked out mazda 3. hopefully the tech makes its way down past the luxury car market and into the average consumer market soon. took a while for hybrid cars to do it, but now you can buy a nissan leaf for.......................fuck....just researched it.............32k (starting)

edit: who the hell would pay 40k after tax for a nissan leaf??
I was asking my friend the same thing after he traded in his Jetta for one a few years ago.

Basically, it boiled down to:
1) He gets free parking at work with an electric vehicle as opposed to the $300/month I think he said he paid with the Jetta.
2) He gets free charging at work, which is enough to cover his daily commute both ways, as opposed to paying for diesel with the Jetta.

He figured it would save him around $400/month. Of course, that's a lot of months to make up the difference in purchase price.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #120

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
GIF game on point as per usual...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #121
x_x

Quote:
did I fail at sarcasm?
Haha, my bad, sometimes its hard to tell on the internet
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #122
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Distracted driving is illegal.

So using GPS and talking to a passenger is illegal?
Inputting a new destination while driving, yes. Using an active screen to reference where you're traveling, no.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #123
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
can't say i share your optimism.. i just can't see that type of tech being affordable or worked out properly in such a short time. i know there have a lot of successful tests but there's some complications that you just know are going to delay the rollout of these types of cars. insurance/liabilities, thoroughly tested real world saftey, new/changes in laws, etc... i'd be pretty happy to even see them for sale in the next 10 years. once they go for sale though, it's a sure thing that they're gonna sell like crazy.
Instead of owning one, it'll probably be more mainstream as a service vehicle like a taxi or car2go. You use your phone to locate one, have them ping your gps on your phone, car drives to you and picks you up, enter coordinates on the app for delivery, or voice recongnition for destination.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #124
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Cash grabs for idiots who operate their phone while driving (I'm guilty, F&^*king idiot). Count me in. When I learn to be less of an idiot, other will be supplementing my tax dollars.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #125
they call me the snowman

Quote:
did I fail at sarcasm?
You suck!