REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

ICBC VS Alberta

Hey guys, I am running in circles trying to find answers. I know there are some law students on here who I hope could chime in.

My vehicle got hit by a alberta driver on a Forest service road in January (in BC) He cut the corner and drove into my truck. I have submitted pictures (tire marks in snow works in my benifit), drawings, witness statement, and police report (other driver said I was drunk and he called the cops saying so since I was coming down from the bush on a saturday eve i had to have been drunk. I blew a 0.0... I was a designated driver fyi The other driver blew over, but could not be used as evidence as he was not behind the wheel when the rcmp arrived claiming he started drinking after the accident due to stress... stupid technicality.)

Anyways, I do not pay for collision with ICBC. (pointing out the facts)

icbc has deemed this accident 100% fault to the other driver for cutting the corner and being 100% on my side of the road going around a corner (drifting) He wrote my truck off. His insurance company is saying it is my fault, but they do not have any reasons other than "its my fault" So here lies my issue. Since I do not pay collision with ICBC, they will not continue to fight for me. The Alberta company has pretty much told me to fuck myself. What do I do? My insurance adjuster has given up on fighting for me. Do I need a lawyer? Or should I do a small claims. ICBC said the value of my vehicle is around 14grand... do I sue for the entire amount my vehicle is worth? Should I walk away and just forget about the ordeal? Can the Alberta insurance company sue me????? I could use ANY advice. I've got a 12 year accident free driving record. I know for a fact I did nothing wrong, yet I am in the blame.
Advertisement
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
girlcrazy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
How do you not pay for collision? Who insured your vehicle for BC roads? If you do not have an insurance company then you're basically out of luck. You can try small claims but good luck on that.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,408 Times in 5,094 Posts
Stop smoking weed, become "richgirlcrazy" instead of just "girlcrazy" and maybe she will buy collision coverage for you next time.

Sounds like you gotta lawyer up.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 AM   #4
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
collision is only needed if you're at fault, and even then they would pay for the other party through your basic.

what coverage do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I'd go to small claims court, you have evidence to present as long as you can prove more likely then not that your account of evidence is what actually happened you should win. You'll have to serve him with papers once filed, if he lives in Alberta that might be a challenge but you can pay someone to do that for you.

About Us | Canadian Process Serving

I wouldn't let it go based on principal alone but that's just me.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
You mentioned it was on a FSR. ICBC has told me before my insurance is essentially out the window if you're offroading. Hit and runs, collisions and vehicle damage is all on you because you have zero coverage. Once again, this is what I was told when I was a claim center.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Is there coverage from ICBC that includes off road accidents? Would it be comprehensive?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Uh. Collision covers you if you are found not at fault. Email this to a few news places locally (global be, cbc etc...) and see if they want to run a story
Old 05-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Uh. Collision covers you if you are found not at fault. Email this to a few news places locally (global be, cbc etc...) and see if they want to run a story
Collision is for when you are at fault not when you're not at fault. It's the other persons basic insurance that covers you when not at fault. It's irrelevant in this case anyway as the OP has stated they do not have that type of coverage.

Collision

Quote:
Collision coverage

Cover repair and replacement costs, even if you’re at fault.

Even the best drivers can make mistakes, and fixing your vehicle can be expensive. Collision coverage helps pay for your vehicle repairs, towing, storage and more, even if the crash was your fault.
How does Collision coverage help you?

Collision coverage covers your repair costs when you hit another vehicle, object or the surface of the road.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Similar thing just happened to me today. Car was parked curb side across the street of a construction site, and a semi trailer delivering material to our site backed right into my car, hitting the door and surrounding area. Driver had Quebec plates. Called ICBC right away to report it, and they told me because I don't have collision, I'd have to call the other guys insurance and deal with it myself. WTF do I pay for insurance for, if I have to do their job!? I honestly thought that collision meant you're covered if the accident it your own fault, don't quite understand how this works. Anyone with some info would be appreciated. My situation was almost a hit and run, so why would I need collision if the other driver admits he's at fault. WTF ICBC!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160510_130246.jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Bell View Post
Similar thing just happened to me today. Car was parked curb side across the street of a construction site, and a semi trailer delivering material to our site backed right into my car, hitting the door and surrounding area. Driver had Quebec plates. Called ICBC right away to report it, and they told me because I don't have collision, I'd have to call the other guys insurance and deal with it myself. WTF do I pay for insurance for, if I have to do their job!? I honestly thought that collision meant you're covered if the accident it your own fault, don't quite understand how this works. Anyone with some info would be appreciated. My situation was almost a hit and run, so why would I need collision if the other driver admits he's at fault. WTF ICBC!
Why don't you have collision? Seems like you are under insured to me then.
Maybe you can claim it under comprehensive.
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Didn't think I needed it, being that I don't drive much these days. Plus I give ICBC enough of my money, for a service they hardly provide. Least they could do is help out their paying customers.
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Best advice is to contact his insurance company directly and request a written explanation for why your claim was denied.

If they come back with a half ass answer, tell them you are going to the media to complain about being treated unfairly and see if they cave. If they don't cave, contact one of the "Global TV Trouble Shooter" cunts who love to disrupt society etc and see if they will play ball.

If that doesn't work you can always have a lawyer draft up a nasty letter threatening litigation. If that doesn't get them to pay up then you are basically looking at litigation, small claims court is limited to <5000$.

GL
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ Missing a zero on that 50k. Small claims court is setup to be used by everyday citizens. I would also get a letter from ICBC saying that the other party is at 100% fault. That, along with your evidence, I see you winning the case. As long as it's worth a trip for you go goto Alberta to present your case, if you win, I think you get reimbursed for that as well.

I also think that ICBC should keep fighting for you, since by the definition that Quasi posted, collision wouldn't have done anything for you in your situation. ICBC is supposed to be paying you if you're not at fault. isn't that what insurance is for?

I think this is what OP would have required, it seems like it's included in basic coverage:
http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/basic/Pages/Default.aspx

"Even if the person who’s responsible for a crash doesn’t have enough insurance to pay for your claim, Underinsured Motorist protection covers you."

Uninsured with ICBC, or insured in another province, what's the difference, they're still not ICBC.

Last edited by DragonChi; 05-10-2016 at 04:22 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #15
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
You mentioned it was on a FSR. ICBC has told me before my insurance is essentially out the window if you're offroading. Hit and runs, collisions and vehicle damage is all on you because you have zero coverage. Once again, this is what I was told when I was a claim center.
not true. I had almost the exact same accident as OP in February on a snowy FSR. Guy cut the corner and I had nowhere to go other than the side of his truck. Wrote my Jeep off. We were way out on an FSR, and I sent ICBC the GPS coordinates of the location. ICBC had a question or two about the location but had no problem covering me. I had collision and the other party was from BC tho.

A named FSR is still considered a highway. It's not until you leave the FSR offroad onto an unnamed trail, or logging lease road, that it gets a little different.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Bell View Post
This isn't a collision claim it would not have helped you at all, it could have been a comprehensive claim. Comprehensive insurance covers things like hit & run, theft, fire, road debris damaging your vehicle. If you had Comprehensive coverage you could claim a hit and run, unfortunately you got kind of fucked that the guy is out of Province because if he was here and you knew who hit you then it would be covered under his basic ICBC insurance.

My wifes car got hit by a piece of plywood a few weeks ago that was laying on the road and launched into the air by a big truck in front of her. The damage ended up being a few thousand dollars, it was covered under her comprehensive $300 deductible and insurance rates do not go up.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
SC court is 25000. Not 5k and not 50k.

You can Sue for more than 25000 and win, but the max settlement you will receive is 25000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
not true. I had almost the exact same accident as OP in February on a snowy FSR. Guy cut the corner and I had nowhere to go other than the side of his truck. Wrote my Jeep off. We were way out on an FSR, and I sent ICBC the GPS coordinates of the location. ICBC had a question or two about the location but had no problem covering me. I had collision and the other party was from BC tho.

A named FSR is still considered a highway. It's not until you leave the FSR offroad onto an unnamed trail, or logging lease road, that it gets a little different.
This is absolutely true, you can go online and find what RR you are on, and provide that to ICBC. Usually will have km markers and signs every once in awhile.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
SC court is 25000. Not 5k and not 50k.

You can Sue for more than 25000 and win, but the max settlement you will receive is 25000

This is absolutely true, you can go online and find what RR you are on, and provide that to ICBC. Usually will have km markers and signs every once in awhile.
In Alberta, where this case will likely happen is 50k. In BC, small claims court is still 25k. Actually, I don't know where this case will be heard. I assumed it would be in Alberta.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #19
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

If the witness is saying that it was the other driver who was at-fault then, ICBC should be fighting on your behalf. I would say your only chance of holding the other driver liable is the witness report.

But if its your word against his... then you should ask your adjuster to settle it 50/50... atleast you will get half your vehicle covered for you.

The AB insurance company could sue you, but ICBC would be in your defence if you carried third-party liability. I think its worth following up on... atleast try to get it 50/50 if the both adjusters think its your word against his.
rubadub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
In Alberta, where this case will likely happen is 50k. In BC, small claims court is still 25k. Actually, I don't know where this case will be heard. I assumed it would be in Alberta.
The incident occurred in BC, why would court be heard in AB?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 PM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

If you had collision ICBC would fix ur truck right away (yes you would have to pay the deductible) and act as your lawyer. Subrogation clause. ICBC helps you and then sues the other party for you. You don't need to worry about a thing.

Once the claim is settled and it is determined that your were not at fault you will be given your deductible back and the claim will NOT be charged against you.

Since you don't have coverage for collision you are responsible for your own vehicle for repair or replace and you have to fight for yourself against this other party. Sue the other driver and have your proof in writing that he was at fault then their Alberta company will pay out.
09' BMW 128I Coupe (E82) - FS
04' BMW M3 Coupe (E46) - SR
17' Acura MDX SUV (YD4) - SOLD
15' Acura RDX SUV (TB4) - SOLD
14' Acura ILX Sedan (DE1) - SOLD
04' Nissan Pathfinder LE SUV (R50) - SOLD
07 Infiniti FX35 SUV (S50) -SOLD
06' BMW 330i Sedan (E90) - SOLD
97' Acura 1.6EL Sedan (MB4) - SOLD
99' Honda Civic Hatch (EJ6) - SOLD
84' Pontiac Sunbird Coupe (J2000) - SOLD
Kalize is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
FSR travel is not "off-roading".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #23
private modder

Thanked 2,646 Times in 740 Posts
collision coverage has nothing to do with who's at fault.

think of it like this:

in BC, everyone has to buy basic insurance so that we all have a minimum amount of coverage for our medical bills and expenses in case we are injured in a crash, no matter who was at fault. it also covers some basic 3rd party coverage in case you're found at fault for injuring or damaging property. that's it!

collision coverage pays for repairs to your vehicle if it's damaged from hitting something. fault has nothing to do with it. if you have collision coverage, and it's not your fault, then your vehicle gets fixed and you don't have to pay a deductible and your premiums don't change. if you are at fault, then you pay the deductible and your premium will increase. in other words, if you don't have collision coverage, then you're taking all the risk if there is damage to your vehicle that results from a collision, even if it wasn't your fault. there are only a few small cases when ICBC will pay for repairs to your car if you don't have collision coverage. hit and run is one of those (you would have to pay the first $750 or your collision deductible, whichever is lower).

comprehensive coverage covers damage to your vehicle as a result of something that's NOT a collision. like theft, vandalism, fire, or projectiles like rocks hitting it. you pay your deductible for repairs, but your premiums don't change.

If you have an old beater of a car, it may make financial sense to avoid buying collision. then if an accident happens, so be it. repairs would be cheap or not necessary, and the worst case is you'll write off a car that's only worth a couple thousand, let's say. not the end of the world. but I bet most of us can't afford thousands of dollars of repairs or having a car written off suddenly, so that's why you need that coverage.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #24
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Eff-1 is correct.

AIRB : Automobile Insurance Rate Board - For Drivers - Getting Insurance

Quote:
Types of Automobile Insurance Coverage

There are different types of coverage and benefits available through an automobile insurance policy. The principal coverage is listed below; you can consult an insurance professional for a thorough assessment of your insurance requirements.

Basic Coverage - This coverage is mandatory for operating a motor vehicle.

Third Party Liability. Liability coverage pays for a legal claim against the policyholder in the event that he or she is in some way responsible for an accident that causes injury or damage to a third party. The minimum limit requirement is $200,000.

Accident Benefits. Accident Benefits cover occupants of a vehicle in the event of injury. Coverage includes medical/rehabilitation costs, funeral expenses, death benefits, income replacement.

Additional Coverage - This coverage is optional.

Collision. Collision coverage pays for the repair of a policyholder's vehicle if the vehicle is damaged in an accident caused by collision with another object or upset. There is usually a deductible amount indicated for this coverage. The deductible is either paid by the policyholder toward the cost of repairs or deducted from the claims settlement.

Comprehensive. Comprehensive provides coverage for damage resulting from other than a collision, such as hail, vandalism, theft or fire. There is usually a deductible amount for this coverage. The deductible is either paid by the policyholder toward the cost of repairs or deducted from the claims settlement.

[...]
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

What if you don't have collision and your old beater is a write off.
Would ICBC compensate in either case of "at fault" and "not at fault"
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote