REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Anyone has recent experiences buying a Van?

Curious to see if anyone recently has bought a Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey. Also if you are a salesperson at either dealership and can share your experiences generally associated with these cars that'll be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking for new Sienna or Odyssey recently and it looks like those two Vans are very popular and high in demand that dealerships are generally unwilling to budge on their MSRP prices. Several places are pretty much out of stock as well. Pretty ridiculous that I've actually contemplated giving Kia Sedona a chance.

Anyway, I was wondering if my small sample size is a good reflection of the situation in the whole lower mainland area. Please do chime in if you have opinions on this. Thanks.
Advertisement
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/701813-minivans-ugh.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,105 Times in 975 Posts
Paging GS8. He bought a Kia Sedona recently.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Curious to see if anyone recently has bought a Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey. Also if you are a salesperson at either dealership and can share your experiences generally associated with these cars that'll be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking for new Sienna or Odyssey recently and it looks like those two Vans are very popular and high in demand that dealerships are generally unwilling to budge on their MSRP prices. Several places are pretty much out of stock as well. Pretty ridiculous that I've actually contemplated giving Kia Sedona a chance.

Anyway, I was wondering if my small sample size is a good reflection of the situation in the whole lower mainland area. Please do chime in if you have opinions on this. Thanks.
bought my sienna se just recently. i paid a deposit for it in end of jan and took delivery in mid march. visited multiple toyota dealerships and right off the bat before haggling the salesperson would knock off between 500 - 700. went to the salesperson my mom got her rav from and the guy knocked off over 1k. makes me think if you can get a referral you might get a better deal.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #5

Really appreciate the input guys. Also thanks to those who pmed me as well. Wonder how gs8 is liking his new sedona.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Coworker is picking up his Sienna soon. Paid deposit a few months ago and has been waiting for it to arrive. Siennas/Odysseys are always top choices for vans and generally fly out of deleaerships. $1500 off is the max he negotiated off.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I can has van?
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I recently rented a Chrysler Town & Country to help a friend move (got a really good daily rate on it.)

Coming from a 2006 Toyota Sienna and having driven a 2015 Honda Odyssey, the Town & Country is a complete POS. I can only imagine the Dodge Caravan can only be worse in terms of fit, finish, and materials. The driving experience was just awful, especially the throttle control and transmission.

I've had a few Kia Sedona rentals and I absolutely cannot recommend it, even if you were my mortal enemy. Stick with either the Toyota or Honda. If it is an option, get a used one. The Sienna in our family has held up very well, and it's a 10 years old. If you must, pony up and pay the premium if you are set on getting a van. As they say, you get what you pay for.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #9
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've had the Sedona as a rental for work a few times and it's not very good. Uncomfortable seating position, poor fit and finish, and underpowered even when it's empty.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
I'm invisible

I have a 2012 Toyota Sienna. I have low km's on it about 24,000 but it's been parked outside all its life and it starts up every morning. I never had any issues with any power doors or trunk. The engine is powerful enough for its day to day, but the fuel mileage could of been better (95% city and short trips). It can carry 7 people and its luggage. I can carry big 2 strollers and other baby stuff too and no problem

What I found not very useful was the folding captain chairs with the leg extender. They really only work for For children. If you have mats (rubber or carpet) it's hard to move the captain chairs.

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 05-15-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #11

Really appreciate all inputs. I think I've seen enough bad reviews to steer me away from Kia. It looks like although they've stepped up, they are still just not there compared to Toyota and Honda.

It looks like Sienna is out of stock across lower mainland and the wait is about 4-5 months. Who would've thought that Van was that popular?

I'm leaning towards Odyssey despite my friend who's an owner at a mechanic shop telling me that Sienna is much more reliable. The $ difference isn't small based on Honda's 0.99% finance/lease now compared to 2.99% which is the lowest Toyota would go. Also 0.99% makes lease very attractive and I'm comfortable with 48 months lease with the 5 year warranty.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #12

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
^ sienna is much more reliable. originalhypa might chime in about his experience with his odyssey. my mechanic also owned a new odyssey and said it was nothing but a headache, he sold it and bought a sienna.

also, my parents have owned a sienna since 2001, bought brand new. currently has 350k km on it and still runs awesome and the transmission still shifts smooth.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Have a 2014 odyssey touring, just hitting 29k. Great van. If you don't need the vacuum, don't get it (it's only on touring trim cant get it as a separate option). 5x120 bolt pattern if that matters to you
No issues mechanically or structural though wife somehow cracked the windshield
If you don't need the Bell's and whistles just get the cheaper ex-l and add entertainment /nav save you even more, has the same v6 in all trims.
Oh if your buying it because of family reasons, lease the fucker. Trust me. Kids really makes it "lived in"
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #14
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I have extensive experience with driving the 2014-15 Sienna and the caravans and its sister T&C. Like mentioned by other people other than the price there is not much going for the chrysler vans. The toyota on the other hand is a very good vehicle all around especially reliability and fuel economy.

If i were you I would look into in the new pacifica swell, its getting really good reviews so far

vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #15

The pacific looks good but it'll be a huge hurdle for me to own a Chrysler. It's tough to consider without a long solid track record. Also, it starts at $43,995...? That's almost top of the line Ody or Sienna trim.

While Sienna is more reliable I do feel the issues with Odyssey might be a bit overblown. Overall looking at more data as opposed to one-off cases, it appears Odyssey remains a reliable car despite being less reliable than Sienna.

I do wish Odyssey offered leather seats option without entertainment or navi package though. It looks like in order to get leather seats, you have to get either package.

Last edited by frozen; 05-15-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #16
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
The pacific looks good but it'll be a huge hurdle for me to own a Chrysler. It's tough to consider without a long solid track record.

While Sienna is more reliable I do feel the issues with Odyssey might be a bit overblown. Overall looking at more data as opposed to one-off cases, it appears Odyssey remains a reliable car despite being less reliable than Sienna.

I do wish Odyssey offered leather seats option without entertainment or navi package though. It looks like in order to get leather seats, you have to get either package.
Yeah I was surprised to see the total cost for the touring, but I think the ex trim provides a lot of value.

I guess you should also look at some pre owned models as well
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #17

I did. The issue is that, at least for Ody, used car will only get financing of 2.99% at the lowest. Also they hold value surprisingly well, which seems to contradict the fact that they are less reliable, so there isn't much of an incentive to go used. 2 years old 2014 Ody with same trim is going for $36,000 with 40k kms, while a brand new one is $45k.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #18
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
if you're set on the ody, id wait for the 2017 and see what the new facelift will look like.
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #19
RS Veteran

Quote:
I did. The issue is that, at least for Ody, used car will only get financing of 2.99% at the lowest. Also they hold value surprisingly well, which seems to contradict the fact that they are less reliable, so there isn't much of an incentive to go used. 2 years old 2014 Ody with same trim is going for $36,000 with 40k kms, while a brand new one is $45k.
I think you'll have to treat the unreliability subjectively, and on a case by case basis. You'll have to compare to the competition and decide for yourself how unreliable are they? If they really were that bad, would people still be buying them? Oh, and 2.99% financing is just awful. Maybe wait it out?

Honda has a reputation for their transmissions on V6 engine going bad after so many years and/or mileage (or a combination of both) so you have to keep these known and proven problems in check, as opposed to, "Oh, the AC doesn't blow cold at 21.0 Celsius all the time." and what have you.

I mean, there are always these.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #20
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I recently rented a Chrysler Town & Country to help a friend move (got a really good daily rate on it.)

Coming from a 2006 Toyota Sienna and having driven a 2015 Honda Odyssey, the Town & Country is a complete POS. I can only imagine the Dodge Caravan can only be worse in terms of fit, finish, and materials. The driving experience was just awful, especially the throttle control and transmission.

I've had a few Kia Sedona rentals and I absolutely cannot recommend it, even if you were my mortal enemy. Stick with either the Toyota or Honda. If it is an option, get a used one. The Sienna in our family has held up very well, and it's a 10 years old. If you must, pony up and pay the premium if you are set on getting a van. As they say, you get what you pay for.
Same experience with the Caravan. Borrowed my friend's 2013 Dodge Caravan, and it was a piece of shit. The throttle response is so sensitive and the weight distribution is so unbalanced that you do a front wheel burnout on any incline, wet or dry. Or at least chirp the tires. And everyone stares at you like WTF?

And the gas mileage for a "family vehicle" was horrendous. I put in $40 once and got 100km in the city.

If I ever was forced to buy a minivan, it would be anything but that fuckin thing.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #21

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
From what I've heard, Sienna's are flying off the shelves. A lot of times, they're being exported to China now. So most dealers won't budge on pricing. Don't be surprised if they make you sign an agreement to keep the vehicle local down the road either.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
heard nothin but good things about the Sienna.

Odyssey was good but in the last 6 years or so, friends and family that have driven them got nothing but headaches (from bearing-related issues to mounts to tranny issues all under 100k of useage). Plus they've learned that Honda will fight you every step of the way with warranty-related issues. I remember reading a post from someone here about their warranty issues with their odyssey last week.

Lastly, Honda can't make V6 auto trannies for shit. I'd honestly drive a Chrysler before I'd get into a V6 Auto Honda again lol
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 05-17-2016 at 07:36 AM.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #23
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post
Same experience with the Caravan. Borrowed my friend's 2013 Dodge Caravan, and it was a piece of shit. The throttle response is so sensitive and the weight distribution is so unbalanced that you do a front wheel burnout on any incline, wet or dry. Or at least chirp the tires. And everyone stares at you like WTF?

And the gas mileage for a "family vehicle" was horrendous. I put in $40 once and got 100km in the city.

If I ever was forced to buy a minivan, it would be anything but that fuckin thing.
Yes. Gas mileage on the Town & Country was worse.

Could not recommend this.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #24
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

2016 Sienna SE Tech
MSRP: $43,840
Invoice: $40,295
Difference: $3,545
Margin: 8%
nah is offline   Reply With Quote