REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Vancouver city council denies Drai’s night club at Trump Tower for bar liquor licence

Big blow for Trump tower.

Quote:
There’s an old saying that what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas.”

That was the assurance from a representative of developer Joo Kim Tiah to Vancouver city councillors that a proposed nightclub at the Trump hotel and tower would not resemble its raucous sin city counterpart.

Trump hotel representatives were at city hall Wednesday to defend their liquor licence application for a Drai’s pool bar and nightclub plus patio. But after hearing about the party zone reputation of the Drai’s nightclub in Vegas and concerns from nearby residents that loud bass and drunk patrons would spill out into the streets, councillors denied the hotel’s application.

Among those opposed to the club was Coun. Kerry Jang, who had this to say about the hotel’s approach: “I’m feeling I’m kind of getting the wool pulled over my eyes and I don’t appreciate it.”

Earlier in the hearing, Bert Hick, a representative of developer Joo Kim, described the planned Drai’s venue as a “very high end bar” that will also be used for dining, corporate events, banquets and weddings, and distanced it from something you’d find on Granville Street.

“Cheap drinks, cheap entertainment, cheap drunks,” is how Hick described that party district, which he claimed served 17 to 25 year olds.

In contrast, Trump hotel general manager Philipp Posch (pronounced posh, and fittingly so, noted Coun. Tim Stevenson), described the future Trump clientele as a fair bit older and far more refined. “We like to call them the new five-star generation,” he said.

While wealthy people and older folks can absolutely get drunk (and presumably rowdy), that’s probably less likely when they’re being charged $15 to $19 for a cocktail with hand-carved ice cubes and fresh herbs, he said.

“We’re not going to cater to a crowd where you come in and you get a $2 Jell-O shot and a $6 beer,” said Posch, who later said that he considers himself as a luxury hotelier.

“I don’t want to be dealing with a crowd of people that are running around with Canucks Jerseys — God bless the Canucks — and a cup of Molson Canadian — Go Canada — like we see on Granville Street. That’s not who we are,” Posch (who is from Austria) said carefully to laughter from councillors.

In response to concerns about noise, Hick and Posch said tower residents who had paid $2 million to $4 million for a suite and guests at a hotel with rates of $400 to $600 a night would not tolerate late partying.

Many Las Vegas visitors will be familiar with the name Drai’s. For those who haven’t heard of the party space, Jang took a few minutes to describe what he discovered about the nightclub via a link on the Trump hotel site.

“The first thing I found was ‘Drai’s Animal House’,” Jang said, proceeding to list some of the musical acts booked at the club. “Ludacris, Party Favor, Bassjackers — I don’t even know what that means. … debuts of rappers Machine Gun Kelly and A$AP (here Jang read the name out phonetically, as in A-dollar sign-A-P) Ferg.

“I’m not seeing a mature clientele there,” Jang continued. “If Drai’s has a reputation, I’m sure he would want to keep that going.”

Before the vote, Jang said he’d never seen such a lopsided response from residents, who almost unanimously came out against the nightclub. Both Vision Vancouver and the Non-Partisan Association councillors were split on the vote, with councillors Geoff Meggs, George Affleck and Melissa De Genova in favour of the nightclub and the remainder opposed.

The developer will have an opportunity to resubmit an application for the space, said Andreea Toma, the city’s chief licensing inspector. Reducing the venue’s size from 380-plus seats or seeking a food primary licence were two options, she said.

In a separate vote, councillors unanimously approved a 150-person lobby lounge for the hotel.

The denial of a licence for Drai’s will dash the hopes of many applicants who came out to a Trump hotel job fair. A claimed 10,000 Vancouver residents applied to work at the hotel, according to a spokeswoman. Given Vancouver has about 485,000 people aged 18 to 65, that’s about two per cent of the working aged population.

mrobinson@postmedia.com
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Are they fukt? I wanted to grab a quote from the article but I'd just be repeating everything posted above. Have they never walked down Granville? What a bullshit reason, it's obviously denied in regards to the Trump name

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
A city run by a mayor who got a $380,000 plus election contribution from a Soros shadow organization,,,obviously has no anti-Trump bias.

Who?s funding Mayor Robertson? | Financial Post
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
What a complete fucken BS, one of the largest night clubs in Vegas wants to open here and they say no??? Vancouver is fucked up I'm sick and tired of that BS.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Lol relax guys it'll happen

This is how they win over the neighbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
government official funded by corporate shadow organization you say?
paging CiC

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Just what Vancouver needs another hotel bar for douche bags to hang out great!
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #8
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
yeah i'm not sure what their argument about classy people having money is.
go to vegas, people drop $20 on a drink and they aren't classy.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Damn civic government officials continue to uphold Vancouver's reputation as a "No Fun City".

I bet that fool Kerry Jang never went to a club in Vegas or Vancouver in his life. He probably plays video games with his homies as his version of "fun".
Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

no fun city at its finest here boys
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
what floor is the club going to be on? I don't think if you live on the 16th+ floor you'll be bothered much by rowdy patrons
but If I paid arm and a leg for a unit there i'd probably have a bad case of NIMBY too
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
what floor is the club going to be on? I don't think if you live on the 16th+ floor you'll be bothered much by rowdy patrons
but If I paid arm and a leg for a unit there i'd probably have a bad case of NIMBY too
Well when you bought the unit it was one of the selling features listed on the card you recieved that the hotel would have a "Nightclub worthy of any Vegas Party". So realistically if your bummed about that "feature" now, you really only have yourself to blame.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
good.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #14
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Well when you bought the unit it was one of the selling features listed on the card you recieved that the hotel would have a "Nightclub worthy of any Vegas Party".
Lol, like anyone is actually going to live there.
$2-$4 million condos give the wealthy a place to stay for a few weeks every year. Just like every other high end condo in Vancouver.

Quote:
Vancouver has 10,000 empty condos: city report

The City of Vancouver has released a report on the number of vacant homes in the city based on B.C. Hydro data.

Nearly 10,000 condos – one in eight – sit empty in Vancouver, according to a city investigation into vacant housing, a phenomenon that’s often blamed for hurting affordability and sucking the life out of neighbourhoods.

The finding, contained in a report released Tuesday based on an analysis of B.C. Hydro smart meter data from 2002 to 2014, leaves the city grappling with how to convince owners to rent their condos in a market where rental vacancy rates hover near zero.

But the report also quashed speculation that empty homes are largely responsible for Vancouver’s affordability woes, as the city’s overall vacancy rate has remained stable at 4.8 per cent over the past decade despite skyrocketing real estate prices.

Still, the vacancy rate for condos hits 12.5 per cent compared to one per cent for single-family homes and duplexes, according to the analysis by local company Ecotagious. Of the estimated 10,800 vacant housing units, 9,750 are condos, 950 are single-family houses or duplexes and only 125 are rowhouses. The vacancy rate for purpose-built rental apartments is around zero.

Units were defined as non-occupied for 12 months if they were vacant for August, September and the following June and July. (Energy use data is not reliable during winter months because many units are automatically heated.) The data does not include basement suites and, since it was anonymous, does not lend any insight into why homes are vacant.

While the overall rate of empty homes is comparable to Metro Vancouver and other Canadian cities, Mayor Gregor Robertson said it’s a problem because of Vancouver’s acute affordability problems and low rental vacancy rates.
“It’s unacceptable that so many homes are left empty at a time so many of our residents are struggling to find appropriate housing,” Robertson said.

Robertson and council will ask the province for the legal tools to track property ownership and ensure occupation of vacant units. They also directed staff to investigate ways to convince owners to rent their condos, be it through taxation or incentives, and to increase the supply of units people actually live in, such as apartments and townhouses.

But Tony Gioventu, executive director of the Condominium Home Owners Association of B.C., is skeptical these condos are totally vacant and could easily be added to the rental supply. While many investors actively speculate in the condo market, some businesspeople and vacationers buy condos to use for a few weeks a year, he said.

“The reality is we’re going to have, especially in the downtown core area where there’s highrises and high-end property, a lot of people who own units who occupy them on rare occasions,” he said.

Other owners simply don’t want the liability of tenants, Gioventu said. The crux of the issue is whether municipal or provincial governments will step in to control how these owners use their property, he added.

Vancouver has 10,000 empty condos: city report | Metro News
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
The night club is on the ground floor/2nd/3rd it's a huge space with massive concrete slabs separating common/hotel areas

Also, the first 23 floors of trump tower are hotel, so residents at 24+ won't be effected
Old 05-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
government official funded by corporate shadow organization you say?
paging CiC

Did you bother to read the link? Lots of very interesting reading...including the park going in right next door to his Island property. This is not silver foil hat territory...it's the Financial Post who are telling what and who are behind him. Here it is AGAIN....http://business.financialpost.com/fp...ayor-robertson
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Lol who gives a fuck.
The douchebags that would go here need to go pretend to be rich somewhere else. There are plenty of dickhead accommodating bars in this city.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #18
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Getting the wool pulled over his eyes? You mean the thousands of mainland Chinese bringing their dirty cash over here and buying up prime real estate?
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #19
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Did you bother to read the link? Lots of very interesting reading...including the park going in right next door to his Island property. This is not silver foil hat territory...it's the Financial Post who are telling what and who are behind him. Here it is AGAIN....Who?s funding Mayor Robertson? | Financial Post
yep i read it. i wasn't refuting the information. been voting against moonbeam past couple elections.

i was just expecting CiC to make a CiC comment because of mention of shadow organization. maybe i used the wrong emoticon

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:52 AM   #20
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
@holborngrp Vancouver City Council approves application for liquor licence of Drai's Vancouver - Vancouver's first-ever pool bar & ultra lounge only at @trumpvancouver
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #21
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
That's great news!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #22
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
I wonder how much it cost for the city to have a change of opinion.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #23
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Make Vancouver great again!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

I cant only imagine the type of people who will be hanging out at this place.... even that name makes me cringe.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #25
I subscribe to Revscene

ULTRA LOUNGE.

anybody else read that in the monster truck rally commercial voice?
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: