REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Food in whistler (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708967-food-whistler.html)

kkttsang 05-23-2016 04:10 PM

Food in whistler

Heading to whistler next week for couple nights. What are some good places to eat for lunch dinner and drinks. Booked Araxi and rim rock.
Any good hidden gems? Sushi? Burger?pizza? Ice Cream?

Teriyaki 05-23-2016 04:23 PM

Splitz burger or something like that, its been a few years. I heard theres a mcdonalds up there that does some sick nuggets.

anjewree 05-23-2016 05:04 PM

El Furniture Warehouse

$5 meals all day

Hondaracer 05-23-2016 05:51 PM

Rim rock is the best dining there imo.

Barefoot is just there to cater to that next level price bracket, imo it's not as good as rim rock but barefoot obviously has the superior cellar

We like to dip into 21 steps for appies and drinks as well but lately it's seemed like its fallen off

Jonydakiller 05-23-2016 09:10 PM

Creekbread
Period

Drk 05-24-2016 12:07 AM

Aura restaurant in the Nita Lake Lodge is very nice.

Southside diner is a super chill/casual spot for breakfast (also a laundromat). The Earls there is one of my go to places as well.

bcrdukes 05-24-2016 04:39 AM

I am confident westopher will second this, but Splitz Burger is my go-to in Whistler.

!Aznboi128 05-24-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8757907)
Rim rock is the best dining there imo.

Barefoot is just there to cater to that next level price bracket, imo it's not as good as rim rock but barefoot obviously has the superior cellar

We like to dip into 21 steps for appies and drinks as well but lately it's seemed like its fallen off

had barefoot, good for experience but i wouldn't say its worth it.

originalhypa 05-24-2016 09:10 AM

Splitz is good, along with the Peak Pies right next to it. I had a Kangaroo pie there a few weeks ago, and it was awesome.

Dups burritos is alright for the money, and across the street from Splitz. Kind of like a knock off Taco Del Mar. El Furniture warehouse if you want to spend little money for lots of food. I love that place, although I really dislike the wait to get in. Mexican Crossing near the IGA is pretty good if you're into Mexican food.

Ingrids Deli on the village stroll has awesome sandwiches, and Lift coffee near the Gondola for good, non-Starbucks brew. Whistler brewing company in Function Junction is good for appies and beer, but a bit out of the way for village folk.

Since buying a place a few years ago, we don't do a lot of fancy dining anymore. But like Hondaracer mentioned, 21 steps used to be a really nice place to go. Their set 3 course meal was always something to look forward to.

The biggest issue that I find, is that the service in Whistler is lacking. Everyone is so blasè about life up there, and it's frustrating when you spend $150 on a meal, and feel like you're not getting a lick of respect.

Special mention goes to Fat Tonys pizza. They make a killer Kebab at the mountainside location.
But for your first time in there, go with a slice of the beef and blue cheese pizza. It's a damn good slice of pizza.

smoothie. 05-24-2016 09:11 AM

Mongolian grill

$$$$ but so tasty.

Liquid_o2 05-24-2016 09:42 AM

As people have mentioned, 21 Steps is really good. I haven't been there in a couple years though. Would suck if they have gone downhill. All their appetizers are great.

Crepe Montagne is good for breakfast. For dinner and brunch I like Elements Urban Tapas. Both of these are in the little village on the northside so they are a bit quieter and removed from all the hype and buzz.

swiftshift 05-24-2016 10:13 AM

Araxi has amazing duck, the way the food is prepared and the ambiance of the restaurant is truly a " must go " if in Whistler.

However not everyone may have the same opinion as I do however the food was good, I will see if I can find some photos from my weekend trip 2 years ago

originalhypa 05-24-2016 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 (Post 8758103)
Crepe Montagne is good for breakfast.

So good!
But pricey AF! It's not hard to break $80 for breakfast if you're going for freshly squeezed juices and whatnot.

bcrdukes 05-24-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8758129)
So good!
But pricey AF! It's not hard to break $80 for breakfast if you're going for freshly squeezed juices and whatnot.

WTF? Did Gulululu squeeze the orange and serve the juice to you in rare crystal glass from the Romanov dynasty?

CivicBlues 05-24-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8758165)
WTF? Did Gulululu squeeze the orange and serve the juice to you in rare crystal glass from the Romanov dynasty?

Worse. Dumbass hipsters like you would actually pay that much for stuff like brunch and things you can make in your own kitchen for <$5 so therefore a market was created for it.

Stealthy 05-24-2016 05:47 PM

Elements!

Liquid_o2 05-25-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8758129)
So good!

Per person? Or for four people? My GF and I went last year and spent 40 bucks taxes in on two meals and two coffee's, and we were stuffed.

TjAlmeida 05-25-2016 10:39 AM

Don't think your are looking for breakfast, but x2 for elements. When ever I go up I have to stop in for some French toast stuffed with brie and ham!

kkttsang 05-25-2016 11:18 AM

I'm going with a 6 months old baby. I ask them if it's OK they say it's fine. What's the atmosphere like at Arabic and rim rock. Is it very fine dinning ppl in suits or casual fine dinning.

Hondaracer 05-25-2016 09:07 PM

Please don't bring a baby to any of the upscale dining places.

originalhypa 05-26-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 (Post 8758362)
Per person? Or for four people? My GF and I went last year and spent 40 bucks taxes in on two meals and two coffee's, and we were stuffed.

that was my wife and I, plus three kids.
It adds up quickly when you get a $9 yogurt, $18 for the salmon eggs benedict, $16.50 for an omelette, and a couple of kids crepes. I'm not complaining though, as it's an awesome place to get a nice breakfast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8758183)
Worse. Dumbass hipsters like you would actually pay that much for stuff like brunch and things you can make in your own kitchen for <$5 so therefore a market was created for it.

Dayammmm!
That escalated quickly.
:ilied:

Also, FUDukes!

kkttsang 05-26-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8758575)
Please don't bring a baby to any of the upscale dining places.

But we booked it for 530 right when it opens up. Bringing duct tape also. Should be OK. Iol

Liquid_o2 05-26-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8758678)
that was my wife and I, plus three kids.
It adds up quickly when you get a $9 yogurt, $18 for the salmon eggs benedict, $16.50 for an omelette, and a couple of kids crepes. I'm not complaining though, as it's an awesome place to get a nice breakfast.

Dayammmm!
That escalated quickly.

Also, FUDukes!

Makes more sense. I thought you were spending $80 on brunch for yourself. Eating like a king :fullofwin:

westopher 05-26-2016 09:57 PM

Araxi is enjoyable, but hilariously expensive.
Pizzeria Antica is good.
Alta Bistro, Red Door and Creekbread were all recommended to me by a former chef de partie of mine who's opinion I greatly respect.
Earls if you are looking for a guaranteed decent meal, but nothing special.
Rimrock is good, but stuck in 1992.
The food scene in whistler is lacking. I'd love to be a factor in that changing in a few years.

Culverin 05-27-2016 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8758868)
Araxi is enjoyable, but hilariously expensive.
Pizzeria Antica is good.
Alta Bistro, Red Door and Creekbread were all recommended to me by a former chef de partie of mine who's opinion I greatly respect.
Earls if you are looking for a guaranteed decent meal, but nothing special.
Rimrock is good, but stuck in 1992.
The food scene in whistler is lacking. I'd love to be a factor in that changing in a few years.

Confirmed.