REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Mobility Pricing and all bridges tolled - Coming Soon (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709088-mobility-pricing-all-bridges-tolled-coming-soon.html)

6o4__boi 06-02-2016 09:41 AM

Mobility Pricing and all bridges tolled - Coming Soon

Aaaaand here's the result of the failed plebiscite.
They were gonna get their money somehow...

Video More Metro Vancouver tolls, fees coming to roads near you | Vancouver Sun

Spoiler!

murd0c 06-02-2016 09:44 AM

Hopefully that means they are going to be lowering the bridge tolls now

Liquid_o2 06-02-2016 09:45 AM

Good. Wish this could be implemented right away, but will take 5-10 years to actually come to fruition. Which means it will be a long time before we actually see the dollars roll in for funding transit and road projects.

smoothie. 06-02-2016 09:48 AM

so price out people from being close to work, then charge them for driving long distances to work.

:facepalm:

320icar 06-02-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

If road pricing goes ahead, the mayors would consider reducing fees, such as gas taxes.
I call bullshit right here. Not a chance they'd lower any existing revenue

pastarocket 06-02-2016 09:54 AM

If more people decide to pack up and move to other provinces like Ontario with more affordable housing, how are these government officials gonna get the funding that they need for transit and other infrastructure projects?

I know at least two friends who accepted jobs in Ontario and are moving east soon.

6o4__boi 06-02-2016 10:01 AM

my wife and I were actually talking about a plan to roll out east if/when things start to get ridiculous here.

at some point, it just doesn't make sense to stay here when we can move somewhere and maximize our earnings (read buy an actual fucking house) instead of worrying when the high cost of living will catch up to us.

originalhypa 06-02-2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8760452)
my wife and I were actually talking about a plan to roll out east if/when things start to get ridiculous here.

Starting to get ridiculous?

So Vancouver tear downs for $3 million, Langley subdivision homes on city lots for $1.1 million, and 550 sq/ft condos for $750k isn't ridiculous yet? Porsche GT3 for $400k, a used 10 year old STI for $30k and gas prices hovering around $1.25/L on the cheap side isn't ridiculous yet?

damn man, your definition of ridiculous is a lot different than mine.

EleGiggle

Great68 06-02-2016 10:19 AM

Mandating something like GPS trackers would be an extreme privacy issue. Not to mention it sounds like it would be easy to disable.

GLOW 06-02-2016 10:24 AM

So how will you tax bikes since they use the road and have their own personal bike lanes.

Oh ya ... vancouver ...

MarkyMark 06-02-2016 10:45 AM

So people who already make enough money to live close to their job get rewarded and the rest of us who had to move further away due to financial constraints get taxed more, sounds solid.

Inb4 someone says "work harder or get a job closer to where you live".

CorneringArtist 06-02-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8760448)
I call bullshit right here. Not a chance they'd lower any existing revenue

LOLOLOLOL, right? They'd only end up raising the gas tax above the premium we pay more in than GST/PST combined.

Straight bullshit this is. People say no, yet they still go ahead with some attempt to fund a company that can't even get its own affairs in order when it comes to spending. How about Translink figures out their shit before crying for more money?

Tapioca 06-02-2016 11:34 AM

So, I guess this is the last straw that breaks the camel's back? Is there going to be a mass exodu of RS users to Campbell River, Creston, Williams Lake, or Fort St. John?

underscore 06-02-2016 11:54 AM

All of these ideas are terrible, and just because some other place uses it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Charging "peak" pricing is even stupider, nobody is driving at those times because they want to, people are driving at those times because they have to.

To loosely quote James May: "The government seems to think we're all driving at the same time just to be really annoying"

vitaminG 06-02-2016 12:53 PM

^ the idea being that people who dont have to commute during those times might be less likely to because of the increased cost, thus reducing congestion. sometimes all it takes is a marginal increase in cost to change peoples behavior and have a noticeable difference

Gucci Mane 06-02-2016 12:56 PM

I've thought about moving out east as well, been looking into it a lot lately but there's only one thing stopping me from going,

<------ this handsome boy is banned there because of a province wide BSL. Fucking Ontario.

bcrdukes 06-02-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8760467)
So how will you tax bikes since they use the road and have their own personal bike lanes.

Oh ya ... vancouver ...

:accepted:

underscore 06-02-2016 01:25 PM

You guys do realize there's more to Canada than the GVRD and Toronto right? Just move to another part of BC or move to the Maritime provinces, there's no way I'd go back to Ontario willingly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8760515)
^ the idea being that people who dont have to commute during those times might be less likely to because of the increased cost, thus reducing congestion. sometimes all it takes is a marginal increase in cost to change peoples behavior and have a noticeable difference

Just how many people do you think are willingly in rush hour traffic and don't need to be?

carisear 06-02-2016 01:26 PM

Sheesh, as if Vancouver/Richmond weren't elitist/cliquish enough -- this will just make the gaps even wider.

as vitaminG said, even a modest charge will make people stay in their own cities now -- I know I won't cross the bridge anymore. i'll just idle in bumper to bumper traffic instead. Hooray for the environment!

6o4__boi 06-02-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8760526)
Just how many people do you think are willingly in rush hour traffic and don't need to be?

lol i was thinking the exact same thing...i'd have to be paid to drive during rush hour when i don't have to

CharlesInCharge 06-02-2016 01:35 PM

Vancouver 2035.
Spoiler!

GS8 06-02-2016 01:48 PM

Sooo...

Translink fucked with us for years, we voted to prove a point and we still get fucked? Welcome to the 21 century everybody!

Fuck the GVRD. Pandering to the rich does not equal 'world class'. Without the heart and soul of its core citizens, you just have a gold turd.

Kamloops is tempting to take up residence. Too bad my line of work doesn't exist up here...

:QQ:

highfive 06-02-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8760447)
so price out people from being close to work, then charge them for driving long distances to work.

Actually, not only they are doing that but I feel they are forcing people's jobs further away from the city. Look at Vancouver and how many commercial / industrial zone properties has been knocked down for condos. Where will those jobs go? In the long run, this is going to be an bigger issue for Greater Vancouver.

They keep talking about housing affordability but they don't bother talking about where to make the money to afford it in the first place.

Basically our municipal governments are puppets for developers. They are able to build on land and they don't pay any extra fees for putting additional strains on government services in the area they are building. Look at Cambie St and how many low rises are being built. Who's going to pay for the extra VPD/VFD/Ambulance services, schools, roads, etc. I know developers pay a development cost levy but fuck, it's only what? $4/sf? When you're selling the condo for $700-1000 / sf.

originalhypa 06-02-2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8760540)
Kamloops is tempting to take up residence. Too bad my line of work doesn't exist up here...

:QQ:

The Loops is nice. I had a friend transfer up there for work three years ago, and he loves it. He met a girl up there and hit it off. He also bought a house with a pool for less than the price of a Vancouverr condo. The climate is dry, summers are hot, and there is a ton of mountain biking that you can do.

There are a lot of nice places in BC to move to. But really, should we have to?

:okay:

Tapioca 06-02-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfive (Post 8760558)
Actually, not only they are doing that but I feel they are forcing people's jobs further away from the city. Look at Vancouver and how many commercial / industrial zone properties has been knocked down for condos. Where will those jobs go? In the long run, this is going to be an bigger issue for Greater Vancouver.

They keep talking about housing affordability but they don't bother talking about where to make the money to afford it in the first place.

Basically our municipal governments are puppets for developers. They are able to build on land and they don't pay any extra fees for putting additional strains on government services in the area they are building. Look at Cambie St and how many low rises are being built. Who's going to pay for the extra VPD/VFD/Ambulance services, schools, roads, etc. I know developers pay a development cost levy but fuck, it's only what? $4/sf? When you're selling the condo for $700-1000 / sf.

Well, the town centre model for development in the GVRD has been a matter of public record since the 1970s. Now that Skytrain is finally mature, we're only seeing the results of that model now. Having commercial hubs in various parts of the region has always been a part of the long-term strategy. However, lots of office space in the suburbs continues to remain vacant because companies want to be in downtown Vancouver.

Companies will pay salaries based on what the market will bear. Until skilled workers leave the region in droves (like we're talking hundreds of thousands of people), salaries here will remain lower than the average. Is it the responsibility of governments to meddle in how companies and organizations run their businesses?

It's easy to say that municipal governments are puppets for developers, but since the government is no longer in the business of building social housing (when was the last time a new co-op was built?), houses are not going to be built on their own. Plus, people in detached homes want to keep property taxes low, so the only way to do that is to upzone/rezone land to increase the property tax base. People who own detached homes tend to vote in greater numbers than condo owners.