REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
B.C. gas prices expected to go way up because of Fort Mac fire affecting production

It's time to fill up our gas tanks fast before lower gas supplies affect the prices at gas stations.

Summer driving and lower gas production in Alberta because of the Fort Mac fire can result in even higher gas prices.

Could a fuel shortage in Alberta due to the Fort McMurray wildfire lead to BC pumps running dry? - NEWS 1130

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A shortage of fuel out of Alberta because of the Fort McMurray wildfire could soon drive up gas prices here in BC.

Some pumps in Kelowna as of this morning are already bone dry. And there are concerns we here on the Lower Mainland could soon be in a similar situation.

This is all happening because Suncor, which is one of the main supplies in the west, isn’t producing right now because of the fire.

Dan McTeague with GasBuddy.com says no one saw this coming because refineries in Canada don’t provide updates on their output until it’s too late. He adds it has taken gas stations and drivers by surprise.

“We are also dealing in an era when American drivers are posting record demand and consumption for gasoline. It means there is a chance for higher volatility. [You should] gas up now because you never know what’s going to happen tomorrow.”

“We do need to know week to week the supply and demand picture. I think it gives the market a much clearer understanding of what’s going on. It’s more transparency for consumers and for analysts to be able to at least assist where those companies need help.”

Here in Metro Vancouver, you may have noticed gas did go up a bit overnight; McTeague thinks there will be another jump at the pump this weekend — by at least a couple of cents by tomorrow morning
Advertisement

Last edited by pastarocket; 06-03-2016 at 07:55 AM.
pastarocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
i feel like they just wait for any event and find some excuse to raise gas prices.
if donald trump farted on TV....gas prices would go up...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
So true..........

On a side note, I bet border crossing will be busy.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,920 Times in 582 Posts
Gas prices spiked 12c/L here in Edmonton today
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i feel like they just wait for any event and find some excuse to raise gas prices.
This is true.

When the average guy goes to Costco and see a sale on daily use items (toilet paper, kitchen paper, etc), they stock up and buy more than they need right now, knowing they'll need it in the future.

Oil prices have tanked since July 1 2015. You telling me oil refineries didn't buy all that shit up when oil dropped to $28/barrel just a few months ago? OPEC has said they're not changing production. SA is continuing to pump oil out despite low prices. Iran wants in after years of sanctions. I still think there is way more supply than demand out there.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
Whatever it's Vancouver everyone can afford it apparently
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Doubt it. Fort Mac supply is so irrelevant that a dip in said supply won't do shit to the gas price, which correlates to the US oil price. If it rises, look for other cause such as the world crude price, which has been rising from the low 20s a few months back.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

yeah i was wondering that as well. does Fort Mac really account for the majority of gas production/supply for the entire western Canada? sounded like nonsense when i heard it on the news today
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
yeah i was wondering that as well. does Fort Mac really account for the majority of gas production/supply for the entire western Canada? sounded like nonsense when i heard it on the news today
Fort McMurray wildfire forces a quarter of Canada?s oil output off-line - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
Fort McMurray wildfire forces a quarter of Canada’s oil output off-line
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
^ I was gonna post another source but basically the same thing. In western Canada the oil sands and fort mac are a big contributor to Canada's oil production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post

Oil prices have tanked since July 1 2015. You telling me oil refineries didn't buy all that shit up when oil dropped to $28/barrel just a few months ago? OPEC has said they're not changing production. SA is continuing to pump oil out despite low prices. Iran wants in after years of sanctions. I still think there is way more supply than demand out there.
I believe the oil refineries in Alberta are mostly owned and operated by the companies that mine the oil sands (ie Imperial Oils, Shell, Suncor, etc.). Therefore, the oil refineries don't "buy their own supply". Also, I don't think oil refineries have the capacity to stock pile crude oil for months on end.

Last edited by ziggyx; 06-03-2016 at 10:29 AM.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
:ilied :
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,158 Posts
It just jumped in my area - this morning it was 112.9, now it went to 124.9 at lunchtime!!!

I quickly went to Superstore which was still at 112.9 and filled up. The perils of having a 121-litre tank... I was down to 1/3rd already haha.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #13
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
I wonder if this ripoff price hike will also affect Point Roberts, Blaine, and Bellingham?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
The reason why some gas stations in Kelowna ran out of gas is because the Suncor refinery in Edmonton was shut down and it supplies Petrocan stations in Kelowna. Lower mainland and Vancouver Island stations will not run out of gas because we use the Chevron refinery in Burnaby.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
This is true.

When the average guy goes to Costco and see a sale on daily use items (toilet paper, kitchen paper, etc), they stock up and buy more than they need right now, knowing they'll need it in the future.

Corporate don't work this way because they have to present a good number in the monthly balance sheet to the investors. The less inventory the better it is. This is a lean practice for many industries.

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #16

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
This is all happening because Suncor, which is one of the main supplies in the west, isn’t producing right now because of the fire.
Suncor doesn't supply every gas station in BC, yet people seem to think every station is going to run out of gas.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #17
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
always so quick for the prices to go up, yet it takes months to a year for them to come back down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
The reason why some gas stations in Kelowna ran out of gas is because the Suncor refinery in Edmonton was shut down and it supplies Petrocan stations in Kelowna. Lower mainland and Vancouver Island stations will not run out of gas because we use the Chevron refinery in Burnaby.
is it still gas from the Chevron refinery, if its not a Chevron gas station?

Last edited by Vansterdam; 06-03-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
How did people not see this coming?????

Margins for consumer fuels such as gasoline and diesel represent the some of the lowest of the refining industry, the margins on products such as asphalts, plastics, and fertilizers is typically much higher - This is the result of intense competition in the consumer fuels segment and the fact that a barrel of oil will yield far more consumer fuels than any other type of product.

Many people assume that gas prices are severely manipulated and that's simply not the case, prices are 100% determined by supply and demand aka the market. While most large cap oil companies are integrated and will often buy crude oil from other business units within the company, it's not at all unheard of for producer companies to purchase crude from other producers for their refineries.

IE: When Albian Sands shuts down for expected or unexpected maintance and is unable to supply their downstream refinery with crude, they will reach out to other producers to purchase crude to ensure refinery operations are not interrupted. Ultimately many of these companies move their crude though common pipelines to common terminals operated by pipeline companies such as Enbridge, it is very easy to divert a batch of 400K BBL's from Suncor to any refinery downstream of the pipeline terminal.

You have to consider the massive volume of crude which is refined in Alberta every single day, approximately 1.4M BBL/Day. When you remove 1M BBL/Day of supply (Suncor, Syncrude, Albian, Husky) it doesn't take long to consume all excess crude supply that is stored in caverns and tanks... personally I'm shocked this didn't happen sooner, be glad it didn't, the pain at the pump shouldn't last very long.

Edit: For those who don't know, the refiners in Alberta supply the majority of fuels for all of Western Canada, all the way to Thunder Bay ON actually.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
can't wait for my model 3 to be delivered....patiently waiting.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #21
RS Lurker, I don't post!

BS

So please explain why when hurricane Katrina hit, gas in Canada went way up with the explanation that Canada gets it's majority of gasoline from Texas and The Gulf Coast, and the hurricane had knocked most oil refineries out. Same with the BP blowout....raised gas in Canada because of that. So what, now we get most of our gasoline from Ft. Mac? Ft. Mac couldn't even begin to supply all our gasoline. Just another cheap excuse to rip us all off more than we already are. And to use the fire that destroyed many people's lives to cash grab is absolutely heartless. And in today's newspaper was an article about how the BC Liberals took the fuel tax off jet fuel to "help" the airlines (as if they are going broke) How about dropping gas taxes for us common folk?
Dave_1063 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #22
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Not surprised. They'll keep bringing up anything to increase our gas prices.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:10 AM   #23

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
is it still gas from the Chevron refinery, if its not a Chevron gas station?
Yes all the gas stations use the same refinery. The base gas is the same for every company it just the additives they add that make a difference.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:48 AM   #24
I bringith the lowerballerith

Gas prices have always had a spike during the summer in BC. TBH 120 doesn't seem bad at all. It was around there last year this time. The year before that was at 140 or smthing.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:12 AM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

We are so dependent on gas that they can do whatever, and we will just keep on buying gas.

The oil and gas industry is like a roller coaster ride. We were at a low point during the end of last year and beginning of this year. Just wait it out...
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote