REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #2826

tryamkin and gudbranson have bombs. they just cant hit the net
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #2827
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I just want to see this team implode. I want it to be crystal clear to management and ownership that we have no other option but to accept a full rebuild. Lose baby lose!
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #2828
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
When will people learn that full rebuild doesn't equal to success? Look at the Oilers. They got what? Total of how many top 10 draft picks in the last 10 years? How many first overall picks? Yet they are trending in the right direction but still not ready.

Whereas you look at Detroit and their draft picks.

It's all about drafting, drafting well, developing well with veteran presence and build a team from there.

Not trading away 2nd rounders for players like Vey ,Baerstchi, Roy etc. Not giving a spot to young players like Virtanen knowing he's not putting the effort out there.

A year ago, we basically went from having Horvat, Virtanen, Baerschti, Shinkaruk, McCann, Boeser as our next core of forwards to score for us to Horvat, Virtanen, Baerschti, Boeser. We traded away two first round picks for Granlund and Gudbranson.

I'm still going to give Gudbranson time before judging him but fuck sakes, couldn't we get a better player for Hunter?
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
When will people learn that full rebuild doesn't equal to success? Look at the Oilers. They got what? Total of how many top 10 draft picks in the last 10 years? How many first overall picks? Yet they are trending in the right direction but still not ready.
Of course a rebuild doesn't guarantee success, but there is something to be said about wiping the slate clean and starting fresh with a road map for eventual success.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #2830

You still need a competitive team. Slate cleaning basically gives the spot to young prospects who may or may not make the team.

Lets use Virtanen for example. The guy couldn't even beat out Dorsett for a spot for fuck sakes. Is it Willie not willing to put him in or does he float around and not give a fuck to a point he's sent to the farm?

Need competitive players for prospects to understand that they have to be better and outplay those vets to claim their spot.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #2831

Quote:
I'm still going to give Gudbranson time before judging him but fuck sakes, couldn't we get a better player for Hunter?
you got a better player for hunter. he out produced him in the ahl both in the regular season and post season. .8ppg to .6 in reg, .85 to .25 in playoffs.
they hold similar ppg at the nhl atm but considering that's with granlund on the 3rd or 4th line, and hunter only being able to get time in the top6 and limited games. hunter will bust, too small, no defensive game. you'll see it if he gets more nhl games
Old 11-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #2832
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #2833

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
you got a better player for hunter. he out produced him in the ahl both in the regular season and post season. .8ppg to .6 in reg, .85 to .25 in playoffs.
they hold similar ppg at the nhl atm but considering that's with granlund on the 3rd or 4th line, and hunter only being able to get time in the top6 and limited games. hunter will bust, too small, no defensive game. you'll see it if he gets more nhl games
True but Hunter was one of more skilled and fast forwards we have in our prospect pool. Still too early to judge.

We would've been able to expedite this retool if we were able to trade Matthias, Hamhuis, and Vrbata at the deadline. Hindsight I guess.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #2834
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
21-year-old AHL seasons:
Granlund - 52GP, 25G, 21A, 46P (0.885 ppg)
Shinkaruk - 62GP, 27G, 24A, 51P (0.823 ppg)

Factor in that Granlund had way better teammates in terms of offensive talent (Granlund finished 4th on that team in points per game; Shinkaruk finished 1st in Utica in goals, despite being traded 2.5 months before the end of the season, and in points per game)
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #2835
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,365 Times in 5,075 Posts
What the fuck is Gudbrandson even talking about? Shouldn't the new guy sit the fuck down and shut up and earn his respect? This isn't he first time he's been documented having a little outburst blaming others for stuff, wish I can remember the other one maybe someone else can but I raised my eyebrow at that time... This is just uncalled for. If anything it's the other way around, he's dragging Hutton down with Hutton having to makeup for his shitty positioning.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #2836
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

Whereas you look at Detroit and their draft picks.

It's all about drafting, drafting well, developing well with veteran presence and build a team from there.

Not trading away 2nd rounders for players like Vey ,Baerstchi, Roy etc. Not giving a spot to young players like Virtanen knowing he's not putting the effort out there.

A year ago, we basically went from having Horvat, Virtanen, Baerschti, Shinkaruk, McCann, Boeser as our next core of forwards to score for us to Horvat, Virtanen, Baerschti, Boeser. We traded away two first round picks for Granlund and Gudbranson.

You also forgot Forsling, he's going to be really good.

As someone mentioned previously...

Meddling owners
First time President of Hockey Operations
First time GM
First time Head Coach

They fire Gilman who's a captologist and hire John Weisbrod, who has shitty judgement

We could go on and on, but everything that's happening to this franchise is their own doing. It's karma coming back and biting Aquilini in the pocketbooks for screwing over Gaglardi.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #2837
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
You also forgot Forsling, he's going to be really good.

As someone mentioned previously...

Meddling owners
First time President of Hockey Operations
First time GM
First time Head Coach

They fire Gilman who's a captologist and hire John Weisbrod, who has shitty judgement

We could go on and on, but everything that's happening to this franchise is their own doing. It's karma coming back and biting Aquilini in the pocketbooks for screwing over Gaglardi.
Funny you should mention Gaglardi. Everyone is always saying that working for AQ is like living hell, but everyone that has had business dealings with Gaglardi has said that he's been a pretty pleasant and stand up guy.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #2838
UFO

Under aquaman ownership, canucks have been within 1 game if winning the Stanley cup. Dallas stars, nowhere close. Just wanted to put that out there
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #2839
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
What the fuck is Gudbrandson even talking about? Shouldn't the new guy sit the fuck down and shut up and earn his respect? This isn't he first time he's been documented having a little outburst blaming others for stuff, wish I can remember the other one maybe someone else can but I raised my eyebrow at that time... This is just uncalled for. If anything it's the other way around, he's dragging Hutton down with Hutton having to makeup for his shitty positioning.
I had my reservations about him but figured i'd give him a chance.
but after this honestly, he's a pretty shitty defenseman.
He's a fucking bust for a 3rd pick...and the fact that he's not even in top 4 conversation in a team like Vancouver says more about him than his partner.

Guy has what? Like 3 actual fucking hits all season so far? Forget the actual stats. Trumpeted as a future captain and gritty defensive dman but is actually a fucking carpetbagger who can't even be considered a top 4 in an almost AHL team.

Talking shit like he'd kill Martin next game when he can't even clear the crease. Fucking bust.
Sbisa > Gudbransen any day.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #2840

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Under aquaman ownership, canucks have been within 1 game if winning the Stanley cup. Dallas stars, nowhere close. Just wanted to put that out there
And under the Griffith family ownership they went to two SCF's...
Also worth noting Gaglardi has only owned the Stars for 5 years and while they might not be close, i like their chances over the Canucks any day for at least the next 3 years.
Aquaman has owned the Canucks since 04. Just wanted to put that out there.

Canucks being one game of a Cup win was more of a testament to the Front Office that was willing to tell the owners to fuck off with their dumb ideas at that time.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #2841
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
From what I've seen, he's right. As much as I love Hutton and hope that he can develop on the trajectory he showed last year, he needs work on the defensive end.

Even though it's his first year, Gudbranson has clearly taken a leadership role on this team. Look at his public work and you can see that he's a pretty stand up dude.

I get where you're coming from, but there's a reason why kids can't run the team. You'll end up like Edmonton for the previous 10+ years. For years people were clamoring for Edmonton management to have a better mix of vets and young players. They didn't and paid for it in the standings.

In my eyes, Gudbranson has been a solid NHLer and is just offering advice to younger players like Hutton that were in his position years ago. Sure I agree it shouldn't have have been on a public forum. But I disagree that Gudbranson should be playing wallflower to Hutton and the other young incumbants on the Canucks with less NHL experience. Especially when things are a garbage fire like it is now.

Last edited by m3thods; 11-17-2016 at 01:56 PM.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #2842

I haven't seen anything from Gudbranson other than weak clearing attempts and terrible defensive coverage.

I can't find the exact articles but Hutton has more or less been performing the same as last year.

Don't get it mixed up. This isn't a case of young kids trying to dictate how play is. This is a case of a shitty defenseman having a tough time trying to adjust to a different system and is trying to blame it on someone who hasn't actually struggled as much as he does.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #2843
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Also worth noting Gaglardi has only owned the Stars for 5 years and while they might not be close...
Aquaman has owned the Canucks since 04. Just wanted to put that out there.
So what you're saying is that the stars should be in the SCF within the next 2 years, once Gaglardi has owned the team 7 years, because he's a way more competent owner than aquaman.

Quote:
Canucks being one game of a Cup win was more of a testament to the Front Office that was willing to tell the owners to fuck off with their dumb ideas at that time.
You mean the same front office that thought it was a good idea to hire John Tortorella and name Luongo team captain?

I'm just giving you a hard time, sort of. I just find it interesting that people, myself included, rag all over aquaman for crap ownership and business practices now that the team is floundering. When the going was good, he could have pretty much been sainted in the city for offering stability and willingly cutting cheques.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #2844
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Every season people need to have their whipping boy in this thread. 17 games in and 24 y/o Gudbranson playing with a sophomore is considered a bust

Some of you guys need to relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #2845
God of Unce

Old 11-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #2846

Quote:
So what you're saying is that the stars should be in the SCF within the next 2 years, once Gaglardi has owned the team 7 years, because he's a way more competent owner than aquaman.
Nope, just putting out there. A meaningless statement in response to another meaningless statement.

Quote:
You mean the same front office that thought it was a good idea to hire John Tortorella and name Luongo team captain?
Yup, that very same front office who insisted the franchise's best ever coach be retained during a rough period and who signed integral pieces to the Cup run to reasonable contracts. Moan all we want about the NMC and NTCs that came with it but they were damn good contracts.

Let's make a few things clear Tortorella was not a strictly front office hire. Aqua had his sticky fingers all over it. We all know for a fact he wasn't "invited" to the coaching interviews.

Turmoil in Vancouver: GM?s firing highlights pressures of being a Canadian NHL owner - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
The Aquilinis’ statements skirt how the hiring played out. Mr. Gillis last year had invited the Aquilinis into interviews with various coaches. The family, according to a person with direct knowledge of the events, was particularly taken with Mr. Tortorella, who had been fiery in the past. They saw a coach who could revive an underperforming hockey team. The Aquilinis wanted Mr. Tortorella, and Mr. Gillis and the other hockey executives came to the same conclusion.
Luongo was the best player at the time. The guy who literally put the team on his back during games they had no business winning in. Unorthodox, definitely, but there was some logic behind it.

When the going was good, it never once occurred to me to give the owners credit. Of course they'll be happily cutting cheques when the season tickets had wait lists.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #2847
My homepage has been set to RS

^hiring torts I think was ownership not gillis
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #2848
UFO

Yes that was my point. The management did nothing to tell ownership both the ideas above were stupid.

Word on the street was Lindens talk about stepping down this past weekend was related to ownership not wanting to send JV to Utica
Old 11-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #2849

At the end of the day, the guy who cuts all the cheques gets what he wants.

I would think that's not the only issue Linden is threatening to step down over. I'm not gonna lie, I shat on MG's regime at times but damn, you really don't know what you've got til it's gone.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #2850
UFO

IMO MGs reign was solid until ownership really started to push their agenda instead of sticking with the process