REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #776
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

We need a new team

edit: holy shit i'm such a pessimist LOL
Advertisement
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #777
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chouchou View Post
edit: holy shit i'm such a pessimist LOL
95% of the regular posters in this thread are as well so you'll fit right in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #778
My homepage has been set to RS

So we officially have nothing to show for Jason Garrison now. Thanks Jim.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #779
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
^$4 million in cap space spent on sbisa!
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #780
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Woah his cap hit is only 3.6mil. Calm down man.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #781
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Still boggles my mind how anyone would think that extra $1M for Garrison is not worth it over Sbisa...Feels like Benning was trying too hard to put his stamp on this team.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #782
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Hated the Garrison trade then, still hate the the trade now.
Got to stop dumping players that publicly say they WANTED to be here. It's so bad for PR and for the team morale. No one will want to come to Vancouver anymore...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #783
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
sean avery being sean avery...

A Former Below-Average NHL Player?s Harassing The Homeless On Snapchat

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #784
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,428 Times in 5,104 Posts
Saw that Avery thing the other day on Facebook... Don't even know where to start, guy is a real life actual completely reprehensible scumbag...

He really knows how to set the bar at its absolute lowest and then some. Not even one single redeeming quality.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #785
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Great news

Canucks sign Markstrom to three-year extension - Vancouver Canucks - News

Quote:
Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed goaltender Jacob Markstrom to a three-year contract extension. The contract will carry an annual average value of $3.67 million and will run through the end of the 2019.20 season.

“Jacob is a talented, competitive goaltender with size and a proven ability to make big saves at crucial moments in a game,” said Jim Benning. “He set career highs in several statistical categories last season and two years ago led the Comets to their first Calder Cup Final. He’s motivated and wants to help his team win. We’re excited to have Jacob competing in a Canucks uniform for years to come.”

Appearing in his sixth NHL season in 2015.16, Markstrom established career highs for games played (33), starts (30), wins (13), shots against (988), saves (904) and minutes (1,848). The 26-year-old finished the season with a 2.73 goals against average, a .915 save percentage and set career-highs for most shots faced (48) and most saves made (47) in a single game on March 22, 2016 at Winnipeg. Markstrom also posted a record of 1-0-1 along with a 2.40 goals against average during a two game conditioning stint with the AHL Utica Comets to start the season. In 83 career NHL games split between Vancouver and Florida, the 6-6, 201-pound goaltender has a record of 26-42-9 along with a 3.00 goals against average and .904 save percentage.

On the international stage, the Gavle, Sweden native has represented his country in numerous tournaments including the IIHF World Championship in 2016, 2013 (gold) and 2010 (bronze) and at the IIHF World Junior Championship in 2010 (bronze) and 2009 (silver). He is also set to represent Team Sweden at the 2016 World Cup.

Markstrom was acquired by Vancouver from Florida alongside Shawn Matthias in exchange for Roberto Luongo and Steven Anthony on March 4, 2014. He was originally selected by Florida in the second round, 31st overall, at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #786

Excellent. Good cap price as well. Once Miller is off the books, it will save a ton of money have Markstrom and Demko as our goaltending tandem. Money that can be spent elsewhere
Old 07-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #787
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Benning's learning how to sign good deals, now he just needs to learn how to make good trades lol

minus the Eriksson contract (which i guess is a necessary evil) he's been signing some decent contracts lately
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #788

not bad benning, not bad. almost a 7.6mil cap hit for our goalies this year, to what will probably be 5mil after a backup is signed for next year. combine those savings with burrows leaving and that amount alone should almost cover the raises for hutton, horvat, gudbranson and tryamkin
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #789
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
$3.67M is firmly in 1A/1B territory, which is where Markstrom currently is. Good deal if he takes another step this year, okay deal if he doesn't.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #790
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Benning's learning how to sign good deals, now he just needs to learn how to make good trades lol

minus the Eriksson contract (which i guess is a necessary evil) he's been signing some decent contracts lately
I'm just curious (i.e. I'm genuinely interested, not being a dick) but what do you think a good trade record (%) is? I ask because it's very rare for a trade that results in a win-win for both teams (Schaefer for Salo comes to mind).

I'm not going to pretend I know every single trade JB has done while with the Canucks, but it feels like he's at 50/50 to me at least.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #791

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I'm just curious (i.e. I'm genuinely interested, not being a dick) but what do you think a good trade record (%) is? I ask because it's very rare for a trade that results in a win-win for both teams (Schaefer for Salo comes to mind).

I'm not going to pretend I know every single trade JB has done while with the Canucks, but it feels like he's at 50/50 to me at least.
trade record % isn't exactly the best way to calculate his abilities because win/lose on trade is subjective
it's more of what trades did he make/not make based on the franchise's situation

some examples of his failures in the trade market: pissing away late picks (Kass + picks for Prust), trading for players supposedly ahead of the learning curve (ie. Forsling for Clendening), (Shinkaruk for Granlund), NOT trading Vrbata and Hamhuis for piss all at the deadline

in your opinion, what trade has he won?
For me its the acquisition of Baertschi, Pedan and getting rid of Bieksa. The rest are either shit or still to be determined

fyr:
History Of Canucks GM Jim Benning's Trades, Signings, Draft Picks & More - Nucks Misconduct
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #792

Here is a list of trades Jim Benning has completed up until February 2016, according to NucksMisconduct. Lets rate them either Good/Average/Bad

June 27, 2014: Traded Jason Garrison and Jeff Costello to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a second round pick in the 2014 Draft Bad

June 27, 2014: Traded the 2014 3rd round pick to the New York Rangers for Derek Dorsett. Average

June 27, 2014: Traded Ryan Kesler and a 2015 3rd round pick to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Luca Sbisa, Nick Bonino and 1st and 3rd round picks in the 2014 Draft. Good

June 28, 2014: Traded a 2nd round pick in 2014 to the Los Angeles Kings for Linden Vey. Bad

November 20, 2014: Traded Kellan Lain to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for Will Acton. Average

November 25, 2014: Traded Alexandre Mallet and a 3rd round pick in 2016 to the New York Islanders in exchange for Andrey Pedan. Average

January 29, 2015: Traded Gustav Forsling to the Chicago Blackhawks for Adam Clendening. Bad

March 2, 2015: Traded a 2nd round pick in 2015 to the Calgary Flames in exchange for Sven Baertschi. Average

March 2, 2015: Traded Dustin Jeffrey to the New York Islanders in exchange for Cory Conacher. Average

June 27, 2015: Traded Eddie Lack to the Carolina Hurricanes for a 3rd and 7th round pick in the 2015 Entry Draft. Average

June 27, 2015: Traded Patrick McNally to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a 7th round pick in 2015. Average

June 30, 2015: Traded Kevin Bieksa to the Anaheim Ducks for a 2nd round pick in 2016. Average

July 1, 2015: Traded Zack Kassian and a 5th round pick in 2016 to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Brandon Prust. Bad

July 28, 2015: Traded Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening and a 2nd round pick in 2016 to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Brandon Sutter and a conditional 3rd round pick in 2016. Bad

January 8, 2016: Traded Nicklas Jensen and a 7th round pick in 2017 to the New York Rangers for Emerson Etem. Average

February 22, 2016: Trades Hunter Shinkaruk to the Calgary Flames in exchange for Markus Granlund. Average

February 24, 2016: Canucks trade 5th pick in 2017 Draft to the Edmonton Oilers for D Philip Larsen. Average

17 trades on the list. I rated 5 of the trades as bad deals, but I only rated 1 of them good. That means I rated 11 of the trades as average, or I just don't know cause it is too early to say (like in the case of the Pedan or Granlund deals).
Old 07-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
Not sure if I'd call it harassing. Who knows if he gave the homeless guys some money afterwards. He seems incredibly smart with business after his hockey career. Seems like a stunt its to drum up publicity.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #794

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
trade record % isn't exactly the best way to calculate his abilities because win/lose on trade is subjective
it's more of what trades did he make/not make based on the franchise's situation

some examples of his failures in the trade market: pissing away late picks (Kass + picks for Prust), trading for players supposedly ahead of the learning curve (ie. Forsling for Clendening), (Shinkaruk for Granlund), NOT trading Vrbata and Hamhuis for piss all at the deadline

in your opinion, what trade has he won?
For me its the acquisition of Baertschi, Pedan and getting rid of Bieksa. The rest are either shit or still to be determined

fyr:
History Of Canucks GM Jim Benning's Trades, Signings, Draft Picks & More - Nucks Misconduct
Benning has shit asset management skills -- his trades are a clear indication. However we don't know how much of his hand is being forced by the owners into making bad trades to win now rather than do a full rebuild.

Benning is a terrific scout who has drafted tremendously well for the Canucks.

List of players Benning has drafted have already played in the NHL or destined to play in the NHL:

Thatcher Demko (possible franchise goalie) 2ND ROUND
Jake Virtanen 1ST ROUND
Bo Horvat 1ST ROUND
Nikita Tryamkin 3RD ROUND
Jared McCann 1ST ROUND
Brad Boeser 1ST ROUND

Keep in mind this is in only TWO drafts (2014 & 2015). Current Gillis draft picks on this team? None.

Last edited by iwantaskyline; 07-07-2016 at 03:29 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #795
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^From what I understand, GMs are only responsible for the first round. It is usually the head scout that makes the picks after round 1. With that being said, he is pretty good with first round selections. Boeser looks really good. I think SHinkaruk was before Benning.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
^From what I understand, GMs are only responsible for the first round. It is usually the head scout that makes the picks after round 1. With that being said, he is pretty good with first round selections. Boeser looks really good. I think SHinkaruk was before Benning.
You're right Shinkaruk was a Gillis pick.

Yeah Boeser looks promising, scoring leader in his freshman year.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #797
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
Yes most GM's only pick the first round but Jim Dim is a scout and I'm sure he has a voice in every pick in the last 3 drafts
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #798

also bo was gillis pick as well!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #799

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post

Thatcher Demko (possible franchise goalie) 2ND ROUND
Jake Virtanen 1ST ROUND
Bo Horvat 1ST ROUND
Nikita Tryamkin 3RD ROUND
Jared McCann 1ST ROUND
Brad Boeser 1ST ROUND

Keep in mind this is in only TWO drafts (2014 & 2015). Current Gillis draft picks on this team? None.
uhh what?
horvat hutton grenier and gaunce are all gillis picks that played for the team last year. rodin is also and will be on the team in october
cassels and subban have a chance in the next couple
other gillis picks in the nhl or played a good amount of games: hodgson, connauton, shinkaruk, schroeder, corrado, jensen

6 drafts but keep in mind this was a time with multiple second round appearences and a finals appearance so high picks were traded away at the deadline and quality of picks were worse 6th overall comapred to 29th
Old 07-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Brad Boeser.
Lol