REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #51
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
True, but for a small kid a smaller dog can still hurt them, especially if it bites them in the face.
I could always get away from him. But my sister wasn't as strong a rider as I was, so when she was biking with me I'd have to put myself between her and the little devil dog.

So many nip marks and ripped socks......
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
this was linked from a news article today, this statistic seems reasonably well sourced.

there has been much talk about this issue on the radio and news lately. all i can say is most people i know who own pitbulls/mastiffs and similar breeds have no business owning any dog let alone one of those. at the very least there needs to be much stricter licensing requirements and enforcement.

Quote:
42 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2014. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 64% (27) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.
2014 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
We're those dogs DNA tested?
Here's a good article about how statistics can drastically change when you use umbrella terms like "pitbull" to speak about a very large group of dogs, then use the term "pitbull" in a literal sense when measuring the amount of actual pitbulls in the United States. It's easy to manipulate.
http://blog.hugabull.com/a-closer-look-at-bite-numbers/

I just saw you posted a dogsbite.org website after writing this. It's been a well known statistic manipulator and has been condemned by the entire American veterinary community. It's like sharing information about gay marriage from conservativetribune.com

The only statistics that matter are those related to dog bites from the CDC or veterinary association as they have no hidden agenda in their numbers.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #54
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Pitbull ban? Over my dead body.

And yes, one of those (the larger one) was a rescue from an abusive home. Still has a scar on his forehead even after 6 years.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #55
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
A spokesperson for Vancouver animal control said Vancouver is absolutely not considering BSL.
Also, at a surrey council meeting tonight the mayor said they are looking at updating their dangerous animal bylaws, with no consideration of it being breed specific.
After that was determined, CBC posted a story saying "surrey considering a breed ban."
If that isn't definitive proof of media bias and irresponsible journalism, I don't know what is. Proof that media is simply conjuring up hate to get clicks for their shitty ad revenue, instead of real consideration of these archaic and lazy ideas that make up the (proven failure) BSL. Either way pitbull owners....sleep well, hug your dog, and do your absolute hardest to be a positive force in the representation of these dogs.
Fuck BSL, and fuck the ignorance that it represents.
Goodnight from Monty.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 PM   #56
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
A spokesperson for Vancouver animal control said Vancouver is absolutely not considering BSL.
Also, at a surrey council meeting tonight the mayor said they are looking at updating their dangerous animal bylaws, with no consideration of it being breed specific.
After that was determined, CBC posted a story saying "surrey considering a breed ban."
When garbage like that happens, the only things I can think of doing are:

1) public shaming
2) angry letters to lambaste their a$$

In the last few years, I find that I have been doing more of both #1 and #2 compared to my pre-30 years. Maybe it is my menopause, or maybe it is my thinning and receding hairline, but whatever... Most of the time, neither method is all that effective. Sometimes you get a standard PR blurb back from the communications office / officer, and a lot of times, you just get nothing. But every now and then, I do see a bit of a change, or a touch of concession. I would certainly not attribute this to my one-off angry writing, but at least I'd like to believe that I am not the only one getting upset over this, and a mass of similar public input has at least caused the other end to realize their incorrect ways.

The system sucks when you have to make noise to get the changes happening. But if that's what it takes, then that's what we'll have to do. I have very little patience for politicians and large organizations.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote