REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 06-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quebec City to ban pit bulls

Quebec -- WTF?!

Quebec City to ban pit bulls | CTV Montreal News

(news video clip available from the above link)

Quote:
CTV Montreal
Published Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:15PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:05PM EDT

The mayor of Quebec City is promising to ban pit bulls in his city by the end of the year.

Regis Labeaume made the statement Thursday.

"We made the decision yesterday at the Executive Committee meeting. It's very simple. We decided that there will be no pit bulls within Quebec City as of Jan. 1, 2017," said Labeaume.

He said that first and foremost, he was thinking of children and families and their sense of security.

"In the next six months owners of pit bulls will have to resolve their situation, and that means getting rid of their pit bulls," said Labeaume.

The move comes as Premier Philippe Couillard reiterated that the safety of the population must always come before the rights of dog owners.

In Montreal on Thursday Couillard said Quebec is "seriously" looking at following Ontario's lead in banning pit bulls in order to reduce the number of maimings and deaths caused by dogs.

"We're looking at what they did and probably we'll go in the same direction," said Couillard.

A task force may come up with regulations in the weeks to come, and legislation is expected to be tabled in the fall, in order that all dangerous dogs will be stopped.

"Ok we've dealt with this species, what about the other species that you know, three months later could also be aggressive. Let's have a comprehensive approach and be thoughtful of how we put this forward," said Couillard.

Last week a Montreal woman was killed when a pit bull escaped its yard and attacked her on her property.
I am not a pet owner myself, so I feel like I am unqualified to contribute any meaningful comment about this. I can only admit to having some rather superficial knowledge regarding the breed, with stories and facts that come from both sides of the argument.

Still, my gut feeling tells me this ban is just not right. From a policy enactment's POV, I can't understand how a government can just implement a cold hard cutoff on something that used to be perfectly legal. At a minimum, existing personnel involved and affected by the cutoff needs to be given a reasonable grace period; alternatively, exemptions and grandfather clauses needs to be given until whatever it is expires / naturally ceases to exist. Especially when the subject of concern and controversy is a living, breathing creature, we need to respect the fact that it is a life, not an instantly disposable "thing".
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
It's fucking disgusting is what it is. The worst part is that they're moving towards a province wide ban.. Feel so bad for the families who truly love their dogs. They're going to be left with life altering decisions, either pick up everything and move or surrender their dogs.

There has apprently been talks of BSL in BC too. I honestly hope nothing happens with it and it blows over. But with the way fucking politicians are, you never know.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2016, 05:20 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of pit bulls due to personal experiences while with my dogs at dog parks. By no means are my dogs small, but when one shows up I'm not taking another risk as to having one attack my dog again so I leave. But I don't think a ban and that the current owners should have to kill their pets or sell them off, they should be grandfathered or something along those lines.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
What a fucking idiot. A ban is a stupid enough idea to begin with (better idea, require owners of "higher risk" dogs to take some training), but to not grandfather in existing animals is even worse.

When did Ontario ban them? Did it work? I'll bet it did jack shit, the kind of people who had pitbulls and didn't train them properly are just going to get a different breed and not train it properly.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quebec gonna build a wall. Fucking backwards hicks.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol Quebec...clearly doesn't do any research
but once again leading the country in a step backward

Toronto's Pit Bull ban...

bit of an older article but
Toronto?s pit bulls are almost gone. So why are there more dog bites than ever? | Globalnews.ca
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 06-17-2016 at 08:53 AM.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Ban Mustangs too, while you're at it. They make people drive like douchebags.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Disgusting. Anytime anything happens and a dog has short hair the media just labels it a pitbull anyways. Loving families will be forced to euthanize loving pets or give them up. It's absolute tyranny by the government. It should be considered a human and animal rights violation.
Euthanize the politicians responsible.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
lol Quebec...clearly doesn't do any research
but once again leading the country in a step backward

Toronto's Pit Bull ban...

bit of an older article but
Toronto?s pit bulls are almost gone. So why are there more dog bites than ever? | Globalnews.ca
Didn't know Onterrible is among the idiots that would support such a ban, but at least they were smart enough to grandfather all the existing owners.

And then I turn to Quebec, and I'm like... WTF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Euthanize the politicians responsible.
Westopher, apparently you are not the only person thinking that:

Outrage, threats in response to Quebec City pit-bull ban - Montreal - CBC News

Quote:
Posted: Jun 17, 2016 2:04 PM ET
Last Updated: Jun 17, 2016 2:09 PM ET

Quebec City's pit bull ban has sparked so much anger that police are concerned for the mayor's safety.

There are more than 13,000 comments in reaction to a video posted to Facebook on Thursday by Régis Labeaume in which he announces a widespread pit-bull ban in the province's capital. The comments include thinly veiled threats against the mayor.

The Quebec City ban will force current pit bull owners to get rid of their dogs by the end of the year, or face escalating fines.

The ban applies to all pit bulls — including those already in Quebec City. Many dog owners decried the ban, saying it leaves them with a choice to put down or abandon their dogs, or to leave the area.

Some have gone so far as to threaten the mayor. One person referred to Labeaume as a dictator and another wrote "it will take an army of pigs to protect you."

"It's fortunate that the mayor is protected by police," wrote Nicolas Paquet.

Given the intensity of the Facebook comments, Quebec City police officers are on the lookout for criminal threats against Labeaume.

"It's very tough for us so we have to check each comment," police spokesperson Pierre Poirier said.

He added that if anyone files a complaint with the police about threats against the mayor then police will investigate.

[full report from above link)
I wonder why there is no criminal investigation against the mayor for animal cruelty.

If any RS-ers would like to share your views and leave a comment for this idiot mayor, his Facebook page can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/RegisLabeau...ielle/?fref=ts

and his video announcement is still there on his FB wall.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #10

If he truly believes he has the right to kill thousands of family members, maybe he deserves these threats.
Realistically someone as reactionary and self absorbed with their own ideologies as him, is tremendously dangerous as a person of power.
Looks like I'll be doing my best and open my home up to another pit, as I know there is going to be a massive influx of dogs into our shelter/rescue groups.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #11

Also, this is of note.
Quote:
Couillard says he doesn’t want to have to orchestrate a pit bull ban only to be forced to ban another equally dangerous breed the year after that. So for the next year, the province will conduct studies in order to determine which other dog breed should be banned.

These would likely include the 5 most dangerous dog breeds in the world. So if you own any of these dog breeds, you should be really worried:

Pit bull
Rottweiler
Husky
German
Chow
When is the province of quebec going to start looking at banning the ethnic group of humans responsible for the most crimes next?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #12
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
French Canadians systematically getting rid of mammals with bigger mouths than themselves it seems.. guess they don't want the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #13

Lol. Thankfully the average quebecer will fight this tooth and nail. This won't stand. If someone came to my house to take my dog from me, one of us wouldnt be leaving under our own power.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
When is the province of quebec going to start looking at banning the ethnic group of humans responsible for the most crimes next?
I think you've figured out their secret plan. First they'll ban certain dogs to see if they can get away with it. Then once the precedence has been set, they'll move onto other things, eventually banning anyone that isn't part of the Quebecois master race. That'll be quite a few people to ban, and since they likely won't have anywhere to go I imagine they'll just round them up and put them into nice little camps or something.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #15

I know I'm kind of talking to myself in this thread, but any insight I can give I'd like to share. According to the Canadian veterinary journal. Up to 2010 from 1990 there were only 32 dog related fatalities in all of Canada. Most were determined to be mixed breed dogs, Huskies, and roaming packs of sled dogs.
You are more likely to win the lottery 3 times than you are to be killed by a dog, any dog in Canada, never mind a pit.
http://www.chicobandido.com/2015/02/dbrf-201502/
This is an updated list not including the pitbull related death in Quebec as its too recent to be include on the statistics.
Seems like a witch hunt.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 06-18-2016 at 09:42 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #16

I doubt fatality (from a canine attack) is the issue or concern here -- being on the receiving end of a canine attack is traumatizing enough, and that's what most people are concerned with. Historically, the stats do seem to suggest that pitbulls are the highest -- or at least among the top -- offending breeds. But as many of us agree, the fault doesn't primarily lie with the dog, but has way more to do with how an owner trains and control the dog.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #17

The difference is that people base opinion on fake stats (media) where the people that are opposed to this ban, like the spca, vets, dog trainers, use real statistics, like the Canadian veterinary journal.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Not going to lie, before watching the movie, The Champions, on netflix, I thought temperament for dogs was related to breed. I've come to realize that it's not the case, and the only thing breed has to do with these bans would be the potential to do damage.

Most of the dogs on the ban list are big. But what they really need is stricter owner selection. On the other hand, that would be to hard to implement.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #19

Read an article in the province today about this. With the current pitbulls it said they'll take temporary measures such as sterilization, muzzling in public, and being microchipped. Other measures will be significant increase of fines and people with a "dangerous dog" will have to make sure their yard/living space has a fence/barrier that meets a safety norm.

Hopefully they won't be killing any of them
Old 06-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #20

Wether they kill them directly or not, this legeslation will kill thousands of dogs by deeming dogs as unadoptable for reasons of how they look rather than actual behavioural characteristics of dogs. BSL kills good dogs. There is absolutely no denying that.
Also Stewie, I believe you are getting Montreals new copycat laws rules confused with the laws that quebec city instated which involves removal or euthanization.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 06-18-2016 at 01:00 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #21
I don't get it

Seem's like Quebec is becoming so exclusive.
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #22

Westopher, I reread the article and yes,you were correct! I was misreading it!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #23

As I said, both are ridiculous and will lead to thousands of innocent dogs killed, but the Quebec city law HAS to be against some sort of law to pass something so ridiculous without any due process.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Not going to lie, before watching the movie, The Champions, on netflix, I thought temperament for dogs was related to breed. I've come to realize that it's not the case, and the only thing breed has to do with these bans would be the potential to do damage.

Most of the dogs on the ban list are big. But what they really need is stricter owner selection. On the other hand, that would be to hard to implement.
It wouldn't be hard to do some sort of licensing programs for animals similar to drivers licenses. It could cost quite a bit of money, but could also bring in enough revenue to pay for it if done properly.
That said, everyone who owns a dog, not just pits should be required to take it, as plenty of dipshits are incapable of taking care of the dogs they own, big or small.
Monty has been attacked by 3 off leash dogs, none of them pitbulls, while he was on leash.
A shepherd looking mutt that was about 30-40 lbs more than him, a sharpei, and a black lab, who actually attacked him twice in succession. Going for a bite, being warned off by Monty, then coming back and biting him on the neck before I kicked it.
They were all owned by fucking idiots, and the dogs actions have no bearing on wether their breeds are safe or not, because when improperly handled, trained, and treated, all dogs have potential to be dangerous.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
after reading westophers post about them possibly banning other breeds that have been deemed "dangerous" i just dont even know what to say. what kind of sane individual thinks okay to rip someones family member away from them with out any kind of real merit?

i'm getting all emotional now..

honestly in the past none of this would have bothered me, at all. i was never a dog person, i kind of liked them and thought they were cool. i was just not educated on them, didn't know that they could be such loyal companions. now thats all obviously changed, i love my dog knight like he's my own child.

before i got him in 2012 i was a fucking mess. suffered from depression, was self medicating and it just burned me the fuck out. then when he came into my life, i started to learn what loving something unconditionally was all about. because of him i've learned a lot about myself and he's also taught me a bunch too. his cute little face has brought so much laughter and happiness into mine and my families lives. i literally owe him my life.

Quote:
If someone came to my house to take my dog from me, one of us wouldnt be leaving under our own power.
you're damn fucking right. no one is taking my dog from me unless they're prying him from my cold dead hands.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: