REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Canada Day (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709302-canada-day.html)

MG1 06-18-2016 04:56 PM

Canada Day

With every passing year, Canada Day means so much more.

I mean we really, really, really live in a great country.

My forefathers laid roots in this country hoping for a better life. They made the right move. Working on fifth generation, btw.........

I know new immigrants, from you know where, are causing tensions and whatnot, but they honestly don't know any better. I don't think Canada will ever get worse, only better. Those people will have children and grandchildren and soon they will realize how special it is to be a Canadian.

Our core values? I think they are stronger than ever. One has to really see and experience the rest of this great country to appreciate it.

Tell us RS, how you plan to celebrate Canada Day and what it means to you to be Canadian.

Canada - This is my Home!

Hondaracer 06-18-2016 05:20 PM

There isn't a better place to be imo.

I've been places where people mocked me when I said I was from Vancouver/Canada, (mostly by Americans) and I'd be fully ready to go to blows if you disrespect my country.

We may not have the national pride and boisterous attitude some other nations do, but I think that's moreso a product of our environment and living in a place where we aren't on constant defense of our identity and pride.

Canada, fuck yea!

N.V.M. 06-18-2016 05:46 PM

RS is the worst place to discuss Canadian core values. don't even.

4444 06-18-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8764851)
With every passing year, Canada Day means so much more.

I mean we really, really, really live in a great country.

My forefathers laid roots in this country hoping for a better life. They made the right move. Working on fifth generation, btw.........

I know new immigrants, from you know where, are causing tensions and whatnot, but they honestly don't know any better. I don't think Canada will ever get worse, only better. Those people will have children and grandchildren and soon they will realize how special it is to be a Canadian.

Our core values? I think they are stronger than ever. One has to really see and experience the rest of this great country to appreciate it.

Tell us RS, how you plan to celebrate Canada Day and what it means to you to be Canadian.

Canada - This is my Home!

i'm really happy you have great pride in your country / homeland, but have you ever lived anywhere else?

Canada is a great place. It is definitely in the upper echelon of countries (safe, clean, protected, free rights) - but I find people around the world have blind faith and love having never experienced anywhere else (not just vacation).

There's always room for improvement. ALWAYS. We should strive to be perfect, even if we fail we can make it better.

DragonChi 06-18-2016 06:28 PM

Most of the places I've been to, have always thought Canadians were nice and are well respected. Moreover, I think it's important to have the mind set that you're representing Canada while traveling outside the country, and that having courtesy and smiling will get you a long way... with anyone not just foreigners.

I dont think I've been viewed negatively for being Canadian anywhere I've gone. South East Asia, US, Australia.

I'm spending the long weekend carrying my shelter on my back through the forest. Camping Canada is best Canada!

Gululu 06-18-2016 07:42 PM

July 1st 2016 is the 95th anniversary of the founding of the Communist Party of China.

July 1st is also Canada day...

Coincidence? I think not...

DragonChi 06-18-2016 07:45 PM

Fuck it, might as well start calling it Hongcouver, Chinada.

MG1 06-18-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8764862)
i'm really happy you have great pride in your country / homeland, but have you ever lived anywhere else?

Canada is a great place. It is definitely in the upper echelon of countries (safe, clean, protected, free rights) - but I find people around the world have blind faith and love having never experienced anywhere else (not just vacation).

I never had money to travel abroad, let alone live anywhere else, but many of my friends come from other countries. Many of them came here just to visit, but decided to come back and make this their home.

You know how they say the grass is always greener on the other side? Not always the case.

Mr.HappySilp 06-19-2016 12:52 AM

Too bad I will be force to do OT like any other Canada day due to everyone taking the day off and I am too nice to say no...... well is mostly for the money though.

MG1 06-19-2016 05:57 AM

Double time, plus stat, ftmfw!

Anyway, also wanted to point out that once you have a family, you also start to realize how lucky you have it here. When I was young, single, and carefree, I didn't care much about Canada Day. Just another holiday to go party hardy, get high, and get laid. Not that you needed a holiday for that, lawl.

BTW, Happy Fathers Day, RS.

Dropped the baby, yelled at the buggers, choked them, etc. It's all forgiven today............... hee hee, hue hue, pew pew.

punkwax 06-19-2016 10:07 AM

My Canada Day consists of slaying trout, riding quads and OMGWTFBBQ'ing all day with friends and family at a cabin on a lake.

FeelsGoodMan

Timpo 06-19-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8764856)
There isn't a better place to be imo.

I've been places where people mocked me when I said I was from Vancouver/Canada, (mostly by Americans) and I'd be fully ready to go to blows if you disrespect my country.

We may not have the national pride and boisterous attitude some other nations do, but I think that's moreso a product of our environment and living in a place where we aren't on constant defense of our identity and pride.

Canada, fuck yea!

I don't know about that :okay:

I know for a fact that people around the world think Canadians are aggressive citizen who would start a riot over hockey game.

Also housing prices are going crazy...people are fearing for their future too.
We have mildly corrupt/messed up political system due to Harper or maybe other reasons.

Youth unemployment and homeless shelter is other issue.

CBSA says they think they have security problems, CRA always makes a mistake + their computer seem to get hacked quite frequently.

Anyways, I don't doubt that we're in a great country, but Canada has its own problems too.

CRS 06-19-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8764930)
I don't know about that :okay:

I know for a fact that people around the world think Canadians are aggressive citizen who would start a riot over hockey game.

Also housing prices are going crazy...people are fearing for their future too.
We have mildly corrupt/messed up political system due to Harper or maybe other reasons.

Youth unemployment and homeless shelter is other issue.

CBSA says they think they have security problems, CRA always makes a mistake + their computer seem to get hacked quite frequently.

Anyways, I don't doubt that we're in a great country, but Canada has its own problems too.

No country is perfect. However, IMHO, Canada comes pretty damn close.

If you've gone travelling, you'd know that the vast majority of opinions of Canadians are very well received.

CharlesInCharge 06-19-2016 11:44 AM

Look at Norway and its "nationalized" oil... they have like what a trillion? in reserves... but even they, as with Canada are behind state sponsored terrorist groups like ISIS.
Most importantly people in this country would have no problem mowing down any First Nation's that threatens sovereignty of the Crown. Even if reservation concentration camps were to be mass bombed it would be considered collateral damage. We can see similar attitudes first hand looking back at the last RS Isreali Hamas war thread.

Bouncing Bettys 06-19-2016 12:04 PM

By CIC merely commenting, he has shown the freedoms we get to enjoy. Anybody can express their opinion, however disagreeable or unpopular, and be heard. We need to protect speech and freedoms from political correctness and hate laws. I may disagree with him most of the time, but I defend his right to say it.

ae101 06-19-2016 12:25 PM

@gululu July 1st is also the hand over of hk back to China.......but like every other hk person, i could care less or even 2 shits about that

Vancouver isnt the greatest place to live right now, but i love it with all heart

i will be celebrating canada day in bar with Chinese, British, American, Aussies and middle east/Africans

last year a lot these ppl heard it was canada day during July 1st and said happy Canada day to me knowing i was Canadian

maybe be just a simple jester, but i quite happy that these guys even know as we are big country but still quite unknown in many ways

this is all just personal opinion

punkwax 06-19-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys (Post 8764942)
By CIC merely commenting, he has shown the freedoms we get to enjoy. Anybody can express their opinion, however disagreeable or unpopular, and be heard. We need to protect speech and freedoms from political correctness and hate laws. I may disagree with him most of the time, but I defend his right to say it.

ZN6 06-19-2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gululu (Post 8764870)
July 1st 2016 is the 95th anniversary of the founding of the Communist Party of China.

July 1st is also Canada day...

Coincidence? I think not...

My prayers go to banning you, even if just for Canada day, it'd be doing all Canadians a great justice to not have to hear your nonsense for the day of Canada's birth.

Verdasco 06-20-2016 07:56 AM

MG1 u asian? chinese right? how many generations

edit: fully read your post, 5th generation, thats so cool! plan to go to the booth in canada place again, anyone else?

Verdasco 06-20-2016 08:09 AM

how is gululu still not banned?

unit 06-20-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys (Post 8764942)

freedom of speech is not really that free. we have a lot of exceptions to that rule. not speaking in regards to what cic said, but certain things should not be free to say.

Lomac 06-20-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 8765146)
freedom of speech is not really that free. we have a lot of exceptions to that rule. not speaking in regards to what cic said, but certain things should not be free to say.

That's why we have laws about hate speech and such. You can say what you want, but don't be surprised if a portion of the government takes exception to it.

Also, thankfully, while someone is allowed to say whatever the fuck they want due to freedom of speech, as Revscene is a privately owned company we can also restrict idiotic comments.

Just sayin'. ;)

All that said, I'm gonna be camping up in Jasper for the long weekend. Got some off-roading and hiking planned. :woot:

Galactic_Phantom 06-20-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN6 (Post 8764965)
My prayers go to banning you, even if just for Canada day, it'd be doing all Canadians a great justice to not have to hear your nonsense for the day of Canada's birth.

I'm pretty sure people from China would already be used to having their speech muffled by a higher power

Gululu 06-20-2016 09:31 AM

I have big quebec flag that i bought when i was in Quebec City. Wonder if I should hang it on display on my downtown balcony on july 1st?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom (Post 8765155)
I'm pretty sure people from China would already be used to having their speech muffled by a higher power

wrong. chinese are super critical of the government, people are not afraid to speak up against whoever it is.

MG1 06-20-2016 05:21 PM

I agree with one part of what gululu posted........

Spoiler!