REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Asbestos

Looking to renovate our home and was told we needed to test for asbestos first.

What are the chances that a company can take samples and then just saying that we do have asbestos and charging us for removal?

Anyone have experience?
Advertisement
RuffleCopterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Proactive Hazmat can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Would you risk it? The only thing I could suggest is getting a couple companies to test samples.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
We have environmental reports prepared prior to taking on our portions of projects all the time. They take samples of the materials that may contain asbestos and send us back a report that states whether they do or do not. It's a straight forward process.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
There are labs you can take samples to yourself for testing if you don't trust a company.

However, dealing with a reputable company who strictly does testing, they shouldnt really have any crooked side dealings with abatement contractors as there are so many out there undercutting each other it would be foolish to try and con a home owner into going with somone they have dealings with, if that made any sense lol

Abatement prices have doubled in the last year, shit ain't cheap. My company used to do abatement with myself being In charge of the projects. I basically told them I'd never do another abatement again for them after our 2nd one. Shit is for people who have nothing to live for, or are crack heads that need their fix.

If you do go with a contractor make sure they do air clearance testing after via a 3rd party company.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

Our contractor wanted this testing done and the company they hired does both testing and removal which is why I am skeptical.

Is the air clearance necessary? Is it expensive? Any recommendations? The air clearance is only needed if there was any removal required right?

Anyone work with Kinetic OHS or Eco Hazmat for asbestos before?
Old 06-23-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post
Our contractor wanted this testing done and the company they hired does both testing and removal which is why I am skeptical.

Is the air clearance necessary? Is it expensive? Any recommendations? The air clearance is only needed if there was any removal required right?
The need for an air clearance is based on the type of asbestos / hazardous materials you're dealing with and the related abatement method. It's required to ensure that friable materials/fibres etc. have been removed via the filtered air changes during abatement (again, if required).

The cost of the air clearance will be nominal compared to the actual abatement. It does add time, though.
capt_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
What do they think has asbestos?

It's pretty easy in an older home to know what does, and does not have asbestos these days considering lots of common building materials way back when used it.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
What do they think has asbestos?

It's pretty easy in an older home to know what does, and does not have asbestos these days considering lots of common building materials way back when used it.
They think every wall, tile or cabinet that I'm removing will need to be tested, they say they think it has it. Just that it needs to be test. House is 1981.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
You should only need to test for the rooms you're renovating. I think each sample is supposed to be 2x2" min and have joint compound in it. Cost is ~$15/sample with a 1 week turnaround or ~$80ea for same day.

If the samples pass, whoever does the waste removal will need a copy of the results to show at the dump.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 06-25-2016 at 12:28 PM.
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #11
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post

Anyone work with Kinetic OHS or Eco Hazmat for asbestos before?

They're reliable and fairly well known in the industry. Also New West Gypsum uses EPOCH Enviromental to test all of their drywall in the yard.

also your hauler will require a clearance letter for the drywall if your home has tested positive for asbestos

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote