REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 06-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Epson WorkForce ET-4550 EcoTank™ All-in-One Printer

is anyone here is using one of these... hoping to hear real-life experiences instead of the online canned reviews:

Epson WorkForce ET-4550 EcoTank™ All-in-One Printer - Product Information - Epson Canada, Limited.

just wondering if it's worth the hype over the refillable tanks. the old fax machine is acting up and my laser printer is old so i thought maybe now is the time...

would like to know if it's good with windows 10 and apple airprint.
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
How often do you print? A toner cartridge will last much longer than ink. If you dont print enough you will end up wasting money as it dries fast.

Personally I stay away from Ink printers, there plenty of local companies that offer re manufactured toner cartridges for really good deals.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
How often do you print? A toner cartridge will last much longer than ink. If you dont print enough you will end up wasting money as it dries fast.

Personally I stay away from Ink printers, there plenty of local companies that offer re manufactured toner cartridges for really good deals.
+1 I one of the printers that uses ink and everytime we want to print something there would be no ink left coz is all dried out.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post

printing more often now than before. using an old hp non color laser right now and because of it's age it's not apple compatible and is having issues with windows 10. i went with a laser back then because i needed to print stuff for use at jobsites and inkjet printed stuff is obviously not good if it gets wet.

also have a brother laser fax/printer but it's a bitch to use because it's usb and it hates my asus router, and brother's tech support is a joke.

my mom is starting to really get into scrapbooking (nephew) and the need to print photos is becoming a factor.

not a fan of reman stuff. had problems in the past with leaking toners and short lifespans and i've been using oem since.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:13 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Without really knowing anything about it, my first thought reading through that page is that they expect you to print a lot, so I'd have concerns with printhead issues down the road if you're not printing the 150+ pages/month they're referencing in their propaganda.

I know when I worked in retail, our vendors were always pushing us to sell more inkjets (HP especially) because they make more money on ink than they do on toner. And we always had more satisfied customers with lasers than ink (exception: Samsung color laser pieces of garbage). After the disasters that were HP's business inkjets (promised to be less expensive per print compared to laser; many of our clients ended up switching back to laser after 2-3 cartridge sets. Realtors found the ink would run if wet despite HP's colorfastness claims.) and Lexmark's Pro series ($5.99 black cartridges with promise that printer could print black w/o colour; Lexmark shortly thereafter bumped the price up and released a firmware update that prevented black only printing. On top of that, printheads would crack and spill ink everywhere; Lexmark refused to cover under warranty), I'm pretty gunshy when it comes to high-volume inkjets that try to compete with lasers (and vendors tried to get us to push instead of lasers). That said, it's been nearly 5 years since I worked in retail, so the game may have changed, but I doubt it.

I'd rather grab a laser for my day-to-day printing and a separate printer for photos (dye sub if all you want is 4x6, inkjet if larger prints are required), but space may be a factor. Even cheap inkjets did decent photos 5 years ago; they should be even better now. Not professional quality or anything, but certainly adequate for scrapbooking.

I've been running the same colour laser since 2005; never changed a cartridge, Canon still supports it with drivers (Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10. Including 64-bit versions). Best $150 I ever spent.

Last edited by Jmac; 06-24-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: