REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-28-2016, 02:23 AM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

ICBC Potential Total Loss - Advice

Hi guys..I don't post here at all just lurk the forums but I searched up on the topic and got some great advice..but looking to get further answers.

Got into an accident..drive a bmw 2010 m3. 100% NOT my fault. Car shop has looked at the car visually and estimates it at 25-30k damage (for sure a write off??)..but im thinking its going to be more once they pull everything off (if they even do). Front bumper+hood caved in so definitely structural damage.

I'm just worried that ICBC WON'T consider my car total loss..does anybody have any experience with damage values being roughly like 50% of the cars market value? At this point I WANT it to be total loss since reselling a car with this much damage is gonna be next to impossible/value is ass. If in the case that ICBC thinks its fixable what would you guys do? Reject them and just ask for a settlement? Then I face the other issue of potentially being offered a terrible settlement price..

Anyone else want to share their experiences or any more advice they can give me? Thanks so much in advance
Advertisement

Last edited by adang; 06-28-2016 at 02:40 AM.
adang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I would not worry about it until the car is stripped and then once you have an actual figure on how much the damage is, go from there. To many variables until the estimate is written.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Why do you think a bumper and hood = structural? 99% of accidents have bumper damage... that's kind of what they're for.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

my ISF had this kind of damage (not my fault and i slam right into the left turner)

and it was written off. Repair estimates were like 23 to 25k visually, and once they took things apart, the floorboard was bent too. This was about 2 years ago, and my car was valued around 40k then.

Don't know how much damage your m3 got, but if the car is damaged structurally, it'll cost way more to repair
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Oh hey I was the one that gave you my info at the scene. Stupidly my dashcam was pointed like this at the time.
Spoiler!

From what i saw front end was pretty badly damaged + all interior air bags went off so most likely written off.

For comparison in 2011 someone i knew had a similar accident in a 05 M3 valued at 38k at the time had 25k worth of front end damage and was written off without any kind of struggle.

Hope you're doing ok after that accident. Shook me up a bit and I was just a spectator.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
I would not worry about it until the car is stripped and then once you have an actual figure on how much the damage is, go from there. To many variables until the estimate is written.
thanks man. im the type of guy who overthinks everything so its been killer for me just waiting these past few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Why do you think a bumper and hood = structural? 99% of accidents have bumper damage... that's kind of what they're for.
sorry i guess it was kind of an assumption. damage looks similar to the guy who posted below you thats why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
my ISF had this kind of damage (not my fault and i slam right into the left turner)

and it was written off. Repair estimates were like 23 to 25k visually, and once they took things apart, the floorboard was bent too. This was about 2 years ago, and my car was valued around 40k then.

Don't know how much damage your m3 got, but if the car is damaged structurally, it'll cost way more to repair
hey man wow we had almost the exact same situation..cars even almost look the same with yours slightly looking worse (imo) thanks your post made me feel a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Oh hey I was the one that gave you my info at the scene. Stupidly my dashcam was pointed like this at the time.
Spoiler!

From what i saw front end was pretty badly damaged + all interior air bags went off so most likely written off.

For comparison in 2011 someone i knew had a similar accident in a 05 M3 valued at 38k at the time had 25k worth of front end damage and was written off without any kind of struggle.

Hope you're doing ok after that accident. Shook me up a bit and I was just a spectator.
Hello! Don't worry about it..thanks for your reply and staying by unlike a lot of others who just drove by...
Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
If you are thinking 25k on the low end, then for sure its a write off. I wouldn't be too worried there.

If I was you, I would start looking on classifieds to start making sure you get enough for your cars value.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
if air bags went off, and theres quite a few panels smashed, its pretty much a write off.

If you need a fair value / payout settlement for the M3, i am more than happy to help. Feel free to PM me.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Oh lol, if all your bags went off it's a goner.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #10
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
airbag deployed - instant write off 99.99%
icbc doesnt want to deal with repairing deployed airbags
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #11
RS Lurker, I don't post!

really appreciate the responses in this thread. thanks guys
Old 06-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #12

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
from my understanding, payout minus scrap value vs cost to fix, whichever is cheaper is what they will do. im not sure how airbags or other safety considerations factor into it.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Assuming you have collision coverage, fault is irrelevant, except for the deductible.

They will write it off once repair value reaches a certain percentage of resale value, less salvage value. I don't know what number they use.

In any case you can elect to settle for repair value plus salvage value.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: