REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 09-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

The one feature I really like about the gopro's drone over DJI's is the ability to repair your own drone with ease. Parts being readily available from gopro.
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Really considering the mavic, one thing that's been keeping me off of getting a phantom is the size. It seems really hard to travel and bring it around with you if you don't plan on bringing a bag just specifically for it.

With the mavic it looks like I can just stick it in my camera bag and not really have to worry about a whole different bag.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:19 AM   #28

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
The Mavic's size is amazing. Basically fits in the palm of your hand and at the price point, I really think it blows GoPro out of the water. I think the Karma might even end up being more expensive. The ONLY plus side I can see for the karma is that it's future-proof upgradeable.

The fact that the Karma lacks FollowMe features is kind of a deal-breaker for me. At that price, if I can get FollowMe, obstacle avoidance and gesture controls, I'll stick with that model instead.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Karma will very likely get updated for Follow mode (they've hinted at this) like how the 3DR solo kept getting new features, but they'll probably do it via an accessory tracking tag.

Gesture control is going to be as gimmicky as voice control on smartTVs....definitely not a selling point for me.

but yeah shitty thing about DJI is they're like Apple...the next Mavic's going to likely have incompatible parts (batteries etc) and any new features wont be going to the previous iterations.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
I had the phantom 4 for a while and yes, that thing is huge. I had a whole backpack just for it. I love how small the mavic is. But if you compare the video quality side by side with the phantom 4 and mavic, the mavic's image quality is way softer.

Still I think its worth it for the convenience and it is a lot cheaper.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:51 AM   #31

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Apparently some of the videos that were out that looked soft was because it wasn't focused properly? Looks less soft when it's focused properly but the image quality does look better on the phantom.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #32

yeap casey didn't focus it properly...digital rev's video has a better comparsion.

or this one

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/30/4k-t...us-not-blurry/
Old 10-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #33
Need my Daily Fix of RS

borrowed a freinds phantom 4 for few days. awesome drone but i'm buying the mavic one cause this one is too big and noticable. hard to spy on my neighbours with it buzzing around
kobe tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Did you guys buy some cheapo drones and practice before splurging on the expensive higher end drones? Or did you guys just straight up went and bought an expensive one to learn and play with?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #35

bought a nice one...crashed it on my second or third flight
it was like a 5 ft off the ground so there were no damages...haven't crashed since and it's been 1.5 years, knock on wood
Find a wide open space and get comfortable in manual mode. You dont want to have zero experience in manual when you suddenly lose GPS because as a beginner you're already freaking out

hiked up the lions today...another guy was flying his P4. I'm done doing long hikes with a full-sized MR...hopefully I'll get the Mavic in time for my mini-trip next month

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-10-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #36

I personally got a $60 drone from amazon and got quite comfortable with it. I can totally see myself freaking out when losing GPS signal if I haven't got a cheapo drone first.
Almost lost my cheapo drone on its first flight
Old 10-11-2016, 03:14 AM   #37

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Played with friend's Parrot drone for a bit today and I gotta say this thing is addicting.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the DJI Mavic.

Any deal for that? There's the U$899 right now on Massdrop to ship to US, or DJI's own store for U$999 tax/shipping included for Canada.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #38

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Did you guys buy some cheapo drones and practice before splurging on the expensive higher end drones? Or did you guys just straight up went and bought an expensive one to learn and play with?
The P4 was my first done and I practiced it in an open field. Everytime I loose signal, I panic a little but I know my $1500 drone will always come back to me. Not sure if a $100 or less drone would do the same everytime.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #39

i was talking about GPS loss, not radio/connection loss
Old 10-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #40

Best review yet I've found. Also noticed the mavic was finally added to DJI Go app on android today
Old 10-14-2016, 11:48 PM   #41

jeebus...flying a quad in a swarm of seagulls

i might just get the karma first to try it out...looks like the mavic pre-orders have now been pushed back a full month which means i cant get it for my trip.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-14-2016 at 11:54 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #42
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
next saturday i'll be working with a lockheed martin indago UAS.
i volunteer for search and rescue so i'll be one of the search subjects.
should be pretty neat. the thing looks like a normal consumer sized drone but has a lot of added tech. i'll take some pics and post them here
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #43

looks like gopro karma isn't so great
Old 10-31-2016, 05:01 AM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I casually told my wife I was thinking of getting into FPV racing because it looked interesting and she went out and got me a Parrot 2 for my bday last year thinking that's what i meant lol. After reading poor reviews on it I kind of want to get rid of it for a Karma, now really want the Mavic. Haven't even flown the parrot once yet, so feeling kind of guilty...
Old 10-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #45

anyone get their mavics yet? direct from DJI apparently had shipments to canadians first. My amazon delivery date is changed from Oct 31 to Dec 1 ...i'll be surprised if I see it this year
Old 10-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #46
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
There's someone selling little drones for $40 on craigslist so I bought one to practice with and I'm glad did. These things take precision and a lot of patience to fly.

First run and I almost fly it out of my apartment.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #47
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Ordered a Mavic on Oct 21st from Apple. Apparently it will ship within November but I am thinking Dec or Jan is most likely. This is in HK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #48

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
FYI first reviews of the Karma which don't involve a representative sitting right beside the person are slowly filtering onto youtube, and a lot of them don't look too favorable.

Namely the fact that the automated flying modes are a joke, and the fact that the drone itself has no sensors or camera's to do things like recognition, obstacle avoidance, or tracking/orbit modes. This is not something that can be overcome by software, the drone itself lacks the hardware to complete this maneuvers.

Karma is also huge when you compare it beside the mavic, sure the arms fold, but it still is absolutely ginormous.

TL;DR - Mavic wins. Try again GoPro

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #49

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
Its a shame really. I was pretty interested in being able to use the go-pro as a stand alone and with the gimbal. But ya, none of the flying test seem that good. As a noob I would need all the auto features to make me look good haha
Old 11-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #50
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Im looking into getting a drone by the end of the year, however, this isn't going to be possible as the Karma nor the Mavic is gonna be ready to ship in HK anytime in the next two months

I have seen and held the mavic and I will say it is truly amazing at how tiny the thing is. It packs all the great features from the Phantom and its probably the easier drone to just pick up and fly.

With the karma, I find some of the unsupervised reviews to be simply people not being patient or not really know what they are doing. It seems tho, to me anyways that some of these people may not be as educated about Drones, but thats how GoPro wants it, they want people to just pick it up and fly, as evident by the very simplistic controller.

With that said, the Karma is very modular and a lot more future proof and comes with some great accessories to boot. The Mavic is very one year in season product with nothing interchangeable.

In the end, its really what your needs are for the drones, want to fly and have fun but lose the flexibility of the gopro ecosystem? get a Mavic. Want to have better video and more flexibility? get a karma

I just picked up a hero5black today, so im leaning more towards the karma because that grip does look pretty awesome.

in the mean time..im debating if i should spend a little bit practicing on the Zerotech Dobby

its got most of the features on the mavic, its small and not too expensive. can shoot photos, has EIS and does 720p video
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote