REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 07-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Looking for Multifunction Printer recommendations.

I asked in another post about people's opinions on the new Epson Ink Tank printers, and it was not well received, so i wanted to ask again under a different topic.

I am looking for multifunction printer, as in print/scan/fax.

-Needs to be both MS Win10 and Apple (iPad/iPhone) Airprint compatible or similar
-wifi capable
-would like to be able to print photos (mom is getting into scrapbooking for grandkid photos)
-because of the above, needs to be color
-hoping for easy install and product/driver support (unlikely).

I've used color inkjets in the past, but with colors running and heads drying up it was a frustrating experience. I use an HP office grade multi color at work and the toners in that thing are $100+each... not sure if it will be the same with home grade models...

recommendations anyone?
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Not a specific printer, but I have a multi Brother laserjet for home. Android app is super easy to use and edit (preview, editing which pages to print, etc) and being a laserjet it prints really fast. Perfect for my parents and they can print without having to ask me how to. Also the laser is good for my dad because he prints a lot of plain b/w text only files.

I've had episons and hps and the brother I find has less errors and easier app to use than the other two.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
Witness protection

my dad is using an early brother mfc-7220 usb. wifi didn't exist back then. he uses it for the same reasons your dad does. it's been good to him until win 10 came along and now no amount of driver updates makes it work right

epsons are so flimsy to me. just pressing buttons on it makes it feel like it is going to fall apart. and the end of life "feature" the past versions had is cause for concern...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 07-08-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
In my thread a few posts down I bought the HP officepro from Costco, $169 at the time it was on sale for $70 off

May not be as high end as you're looking for but I'm pretty happy with it, and it seems to check most of your boxes.

One thing I can say is it's tray fed scanning works quite well, I've used plenty of tray feeder scanning units on job sites that barely work or shit the bed quick, this one has scanner multi pages of different papers for me a few times and worked pretty well. Printing quality seems good and in that price range it printed the highest resolution I found
Old 07-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
In my thread a few posts down I bought the HP officepro from Costco, $169 at the time it was on sale for $70 off

May not be as high end as you're looking for but I'm pretty happy with it, and it seems to check most of your boxes.

One thing I can say is it's tray fed scanning works quite well, I've used plenty of tray feeder scanning units on job sites that barely work or shit the bed quick, this one has scanner multi pages of different papers for me a few times and worked pretty well. Printing quality seems good and in that price range it printed the highest resolution I found
inkjet... not sure i want to have to deal with dried out heads and runny colors when they get wet again... have you priced out how much the cartridges cost?
Old 07-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
nah, typical HP has a bunch of useless bullshit software which is suppose to track your usage and have them send you replacements as needed.. lol.. yea right..

the carts themselves though are pretty simple so i wouldnt think they are too crazy, also i think all of the officejet pro's use the same carts, so that may lower the price

one thing i liked though, is they at least gave the option for driver install only, none of their bullshit cluttered software, and so far scanning and printing has been excellent without the usual HP pop ups etc.