REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

projector retrofit

hey all,

im retrofitting some bixenon projectors on my 99 civic hatch. problem is after doing the retrofit i will be losing my drls.

probably not a big deal for many but i would like to keep them if possible. i was trying to think of a couple feasible ideas.

i saw this dude on youtube drill out a blocked off portion of his headlight in order to get jdm style city lights functioning. i thought this is a cool idea to possible wire up drls. only problem is i dont know how the light would shine from the original halogen all the way past the new HID projector shroud.
if i were to drill a hole through my projector shroud would that solve my problem? is there a long bulb that could reach the projector if i drilled a new hole? if i used an LED without drilling a hole in my projector shroud would it be powerful enough to leak out the sides somehow?

another alternative was using foglights as drls? although i dont have a kit i could buy one. only thing is is there a way to wire it so the foglight would be dim as drls, but turn on full blast at the flick of the switch?

i really dont want to add angel eyes or random led strips/bars. i want it to stay oem looking as best as possible. any help is much appreciated. thanks in advance.

also side note: when doing an HID harness is there a module of some sort that keeps hids on for a minute or two when using flash to pass? (i googled it but now cant find it for some reason)
Advertisement
lilzed747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
I am Hook'd on RS

you could try something like this
OSRAM LEDriving PX-5 DRL Kit | PowerBulbs
CorvetteBeretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
I have retrofits and use my fogs as DRLs, pulled the DRL fuse as the original halogens were H4 for hi/lo beam. No problems at all.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
I have retrofits and use my fogs as DRLs, pulled the DRL fuse as the original halogens were H4 for hi/lo beam. No problems at all.
When you pull the DRL fuse does your fogs/drls function like OEM (lights turn on on their own when ebrake is released) or do you have manually turn on your fogs?

Also when using your fogs as DRLs are they one level of brightness or are they dim during drl and bright when you press button.

Also how hard would it be to use switchback LEDs? It would be sweet to have white light as drl...press fog light button light turns yelkow

Last edited by lilzed747; 07-15-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Typed like a noob
lilzed747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:06 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilzed747 View Post
When you pull the DRL fuse does your fogs/drls function like OEM (lights turn on on their own when ebrake is released) or do you have manually turn on your fogs?

Also when using your fogs as DRLs are they one level of brightness or are they dim during drl and bright when you press button.

Also how hard would it be to use switchback LEDs? It would be sweet to have white light as drl...press fog light button light turns yelkow
No, my fogs are aftermarket OEM reps and they do not function as the OEMs do, or like DRLs. They operate independently of any other lights, so I can turn them on even when the car is not running, basically they are wired right off the battery. I just switch the fogs on whenever I start the car, switch them off whenever I shut it off.

As they are fogs, they always operate at full brightness, however I have yellow bulbs with yellow overlay on the glass lens so it is dimmer than say a regular clear bulb without yellow overlay, but still a lot brighter than DRL intensity.

Switchbacks can be done easily with some wiring, I'd email VLEDs, they might be able to suggest some PnP kits.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I retrofitted my 99 civic as well. For the DRL's I bypassed the DRL resistor and used a couple of diodes and wired my corner lights to be my running lights
busysignal is offline   Reply With Quote