REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Being 100% NOT at fault, but ICBC screwing you over for slow judgment?

Wondering if ICBC had ever screwed someone over for having slow judgment in an accident. Like for example, hitting some one who's at fault but ICBC saying something "you should have been able to avoid that or brake sooner" can someone be penalized for having bad judgement? I have always wondered this for a long time. Has this or similar situations ever happen to people?
Advertisement
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Not that I've heard of. However this is something I've wondered as well especially with old people. The police would judge at the scene if something was avoidable or not. Fault would also be done that way too.

Can you give a example of what exactly your question is? Like if a car is pulling out of a driveway and a person hits that car even though there would have been ample time to stop or simply drive around the car?

Berz out.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I've never heard of that, maybe if there was a witness who claims you purposely decided to not avoid the collision, or there's video proof?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
You're not supposed to avoid them though, according to ICBC. Because if you try to prevent an accident, you could possibly cause another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Well maybe as far as swerving out of the way, but if you just choose to not apply the brakes on something you had ample time to stop for I could see it being an issue.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
You're not supposed to avoid them though, according to ICBC. Because if you try to prevent an accident, you could possibly cause another one.
100% true.
When I first started driving (16) I had my N. I was parked on the side of a street and was signalling to pull out. I started to pull out and then a bum ran out in front of my car to cross the street. So naturally I stop the car.
Just after he was clear of the front of my car a lady in an Acura legend drives her car passed scraping the whole left side down the very corner of my front bumper.
ICBC said 100% my fault. So I asked them what I was supposed to do. I had a clear exit from my spot but had someone run out in front of my car. My options were to run the guy over and not have an accident with the lady or have the accident and not kill him.....so messed up.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Wtf eh...%^^
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
Wtf eh...%^^
Indeed. And for her to have hit me she had to cross a boule solid yellow to get around my car enough.....so because I was moving from the spot and was forced to stop it's 100% my fault despite the lady making an illegal pass and hitting me effectively from behind......ICBC for the loose.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Not that I've heard of. However this is something I've wondered as well especially with old people. The police would judge at the scene if something was avoidable or not. Fault would also be done that way too.

Can you give a example of what exactly your question is? Like if a car is pulling out of a driveway and a person hits that car even though there would have been ample time to stop or simply drive around the car?

Berz out.
What about this one
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70606...-question.html

ICBC ruled in flavour of the car behind, who (probably) made a slow judgement to stop.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
So naturally I stop the car.

Just after he was clear of the front of my car a lady in an Acura legend drives her car passed scraping the whole left side down the very corner of my front bumper.

ICBC said 100% my fault.
So ICBC deemed you at fault even though you were completely stationary?
WTF.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
this is pretty much why almost everyone will lawyer up regardless of how "clear-cut" a situation/accident is cus ICBC is a pain in the ass to deal with

my one major accident was 100% the other party's fault but everyone around me insisted I should lawyer up so I did. Can't remember what their cut was but it was honestly worth it. I didn't have to deal with ICBC's bullshit. All I had to do was let him take care of everything. ICBC was not allowed to contact me directly about the incident which was awesome.

Though what pissed me off a little was this, the lawyer i hired seemed genuinely disappointed that I was pain-free 6 months after the accident...the guy really wanted me to stretch out the claim and recovery period but I could never fake an injury that doesn't exist anymore regardless of how big of payout it would be. Plus, they were more than fair in paying me out for my totalled car.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
this is pretty much why almost everyone will lawyer up regardless of how "clear-cut" a situation/accident is cus ICBC is a pain in the ass to deal with

my one major accident was 100% the other party's fault but everyone around me insisted I should lawyer up so I did. Can't remember what their cut was but it was honestly worth it. I didn't have to deal with ICBC's bullshit. All I had to do was let him take care of everything. ICBC was not allowed to contact me directly about the incident which was awesome.

Though what pissed me off a little was this, the lawyer i hired seemed genuinely disappointed that I was pain-free 6 months after the accident...the guy really wanted me to stretch out the claim and recovery period but I could never fake an injury that doesn't exist anymore regardless of how big of payout it would be. Plus, they were more than fair in paying me out for my totalled car.
So you never directly dealt with ICBC, and they were fair in paying out for your vehicle. Your lawyer wanted you to fake your injury to increase the payout. Yet you're saying ICBC is a pain and a lawyer is great?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So you never directly dealt with ICBC, and they were fair in paying out for your vehicle. Your lawyer wanted you to fake your injury to increase the payout. Yet you're saying ICBC is a pain and a lawyer is great?
Didn't deal with them in this instance but I've dealt with them before this on minor issues. That was a pain.

My lawyer was great in a sense that he took care of all the paperwork and communication with icbc. But didn't like how he wanted to draw out the process needlessly.

Is that easier to understand?
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Lawyers get paid for hours billed. Mystery solved.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #15
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Everyone's mileage with ICBC seems to vary. I've dealt with them quite a few times and never really had an issue. When my MX6 burnt down, their initial offer was more than fair (especially considering the amount of modifications the car had). My one at-fault fender bender was painless enough and thankfully the car I hit didn't claim anything more than the paint scratches on her rear bumper. My body shop went to bat for me and got a few extra things repaired that wasn't actually damaged in the initial accident (yellowing headlights and a couple small trim pieces that were simply worn) and ICBC okay'd it. Also had a hit and run claim from some douche after a party and a comprehensive claim from a dump truck dropping gravel in front of me and both instances involved absolutely no pain on my end.

Maybe some of their adjusters are on here and are familiar with my bad luck and are taking pity on me?

That said, I wish I knew more about making claims when I was earlier. I'm still injured from being hit by a drunk driver fifteen years ago and didn't know enough about medical and injury claims.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote