REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Tofino (September 2016) - 3 nights vacation

Me and wife are heading to Tofino for 3 nights, to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary.

I've been to tofino twice before (once just to go surfing for one day, and another for a stag), but never really experienced it as a couple.

Any suggestions for what to do during the day? I don't think the wife will be too keen on surfing unfortunately. We are staying at Middle Beach.

I might go a a hot spring tour, as I have heard pretty good things about them. (you see lots of wildlife, whales, go in a hot spring)

https://www.jamies.com/our-tours/hot-springs-cove

Also, we will be driving from Victoria to Tofino (have a wedding in Victoria on Labour day). Any good places to stop on the way up or back (we will ferry back from Nanaimo)???

Thanks!
Advertisement
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
ya'll be celebrating 1 year anniversary and asking us what to do? ... let me help you... in 9 mo's there should be a little suplies

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

LOL

Sex is implied. But lying in a bed naked all day isn't my idea of a vacation.....that's what Sundays are for.

Thinking about trying Lone Cone mountain...anyone done it here?

Lone Cone Mountain - Tofino & Clayoquot Sound Trails
Old 07-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
it's a LONG fooking drive if you're going ot Victoria. A jerky place here and there, small shops once in a blue moon. the goal is to drive slow and stop at any unique stores to make it worthy, or else you might as well just fly right there.

go book a few restaurant, and just enjoy a good walk. bring a good jacket as it does get windy.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:14 AM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Check out goats on a roof in Coombs there is also a killer Italian restaurant there. Also check out Cathedral Grove - MacMillan Provincial Park. The biggest tree's you will ever see.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Do the hot springs tour and also hike to the downed bomber. Make sure to find the geocache and leave something commemorating your anniversary.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Do the hot springs tour and also hike to the downed bomber. Make sure to find the geocache and leave something commemorating your anniversary.
+1 for both of these. Also agree that Cathedral Grove is worth a stop on your drive out there.

Whale watching is also a fantastic choice in Tofino because you'll see a lot more than whales (sea lions, seals, eagles, bears, etc).
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

+2 for Cathedral Grove. Awesome place.

As for Tofino itself... my GF and I did tons of walking on the beach, lots of food & wine, went to Uclulet for one day to watch the big waves and go for a hike.

Make sure you visit Wolf and the Fog!
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
Thinking about trying Lone Cone mountain...anyone done it here?

Lone Cone Mountain - Tofino & Clayoquot Sound Trails
did it last summer...lone cone has a beautiful trail
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #10

Thanks guys for the advice, I'll make sure to visit those places (booked the hot springs cove tour)

twitchzero - how hard would you rate this hike? I've did the bcmc + goat mountain last weekend, white rock lookout and petgill lake the weekends before. Lone Cone looks pretty hard/technical.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
if you ahve half decent cardio it's fine...i haven't done any hard hikes to compare
i want to say the last half has similar acsend to grouse grind but longer
coming down it can be slippery even in trailrunning shoes...but you're in dense rainforest so it's not risky like on a cliffside.
$40 water taxi and $10 for the aboriginals that maintain the trail
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
don't forget to pick up a growler from Tofino brewery
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
if you ahve half decent cardio it's fine...i haven't done any hard hikes to compare
i want to say the last half has similar acsend to grouse grind but longer
coming down it can be slippery even in trailrunning shoes...but you're in dense rainforest so it's not risky like on a cliffside.
$40 water taxi and $10 for the aboriginals that maintain the trail
Awesome, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
don't forget to pick up a growler from Tofino brewery
Sounds good, I'll check to see if they do any tours there also...
Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #14
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
see through bottom boating?
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
see through bottom boating?
Haven't taken a see-thru bottom boat in Tofino (didn't even know that existed there), but all the ones I've done elsewhere (Aruba, Thailand, Hawaii) have been a complete waste of time.

I may be somewhat biased as I'm an avid diver, but unless it's a hardcore boat with daily cleaning of the glass bottom, you're not going to see shit.

In Tofino, the visibility isn't very good to begin with (esp in summer), so I am confident you'd see dick-all. Honestly, you'd probably see more by looking off the side of a dock or wandering any rocky beach with tidepools when the tide is out.

IMO, if you want nature shit, go whale watching or go to the hot springs and you'll see plenty, both in and out of the water.

The hike to the crashed WW2 plane is also a fairly good nature experience; the trail goes through several different 'ecological zones' (no idea if that's the correct term, but the foliage completely changes as you hike along... near the plane itself, the trail opens up from rainforest into an open, moon-like landscape with nothing but shrubs and moss). Pretty sure it was about 45 mins in each direction to get to the plane, but Google it for proper directions/info. Moderate difficulty, very wet but not technical at all.

Last edited by Amaru; 07-16-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote