REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Official Rio Olympics Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709581-official-rio-olympics-thread.html)

Hondaracer 07-12-2016 10:18 AM

Official Rio Olympics Thread

Haven't really read too far into the problems regarding infrastructure, cost over runs, etc nor have the athletes got too much press yet.

Beleive Canada is setting their sights at 15-20 medals which would be decent for a summer games.

Phelps qualifies for a record 5th games, and to pad his record medal count.

Really though, I made this post to share this amazing moment which I had never heard of or seen till today, the world and Olympic record for long jump was set in Mexico City in 1968 by American Bob Beamon, it stands as the oldest record in athletics:

The_AK 07-12-2016 10:20 AM

This is cray, meanwhile I'm on the path of becoming a legendary Pokemon master

brb level 9
brb my Metapod is sitting at a solid level 17 and climbing
brb i've already SEEN 18 unique Pokemon as per stats in my Pokedex and I'm just a junior trainer
brb your mom played with my Pokeflute, nom saiyan?

Sid Vicious 07-12-2016 10:23 AM

China might have a change to sweep every gold medal in olympic weightlifting from 56-85 kg weight class

56 kg: long qinquan
62 kg: chen lijun
69 kg: liao hui
77 kg: lu xiaojun
85 kg: tian tao

Manic! 07-12-2016 10:28 AM

Part of that record has to do with the high altitude in Mexico city. The Rio games are a gong show.

Mr.Money 07-12-2016 10:33 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zika_virus
10 to 12 years for a Vaccine,with cases of it being Sexually transmitted.

Hondaracer 07-12-2016 10:38 AM

Mcllroy and Spieth both pulled out saying fears for health and safety.

Can't really blame them, also to win a medal isn't really the pinnacle of a golfers career, majors and the masters especially probably weigh far heavier in ones career than going to the olympics.

Also golfers are probably amongst the wealthiest athletes going to the games, unless you had a full security detail all the time it could probably get a little sketchy there

IMASA 07-12-2016 10:40 AM

All the Reasons the Rio Olympics Are Fucked

I hope it goes well as I enjoy watching the games, but a part of me also hopes it turns out to be a gong show.

punkwax 07-12-2016 10:48 AM

Telus will be showing the games in 4K :awwyeah:

Friend of mine from HS is competing this year so will be sure to watch whichever women's running events she is in.

As for golfers, I don't blame them. Most Olympic athletes really have no glory opportunity aside from the Olympics. The guys pulling out don't need the recognition and will likely play in 4 years where there is no zika threat.

6o4__boi 07-12-2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8771768)

I hope it goes well as I enjoy watching the games, but a part of me also hopes it turns out to be a gong show.

:heckno:

water activities in shit water?
high ass murder/crime rate with under/unpaid essential services?

this is shapin up to be a massive gong show

honestly only gonna be watching the olympic soccer/basketball and some of the short distance track events

punkwax 07-12-2016 11:11 AM

Don't forget women's beach volleyball :ifyouknow:

quasi 07-12-2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkwax (Post 8771780)

The absolute best Olympic Sport, two thumbs up!!

unit 07-12-2016 11:37 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_W...%27s_long_jump

wiki says that long jump record was broken in 1991. it might still be an olympic record but it's no longer a world record.

MG1 07-12-2016 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8771755)
China might have a change to sweep every gold medal in olympic weightlifting from 56-85 kg weight class

56 kg: long qinquan
62 kg: chen lijun
69 kg: liao hui
77 kg: lu xiaojun
85 kg: tian tao

WTH? I was waiting for Gulololol to post something about China.

MG1 07-12-2016 11:43 AM

I got my Lucky Loonies with me....... not that it'll do any good. Only works in Winter Olympics, lol. Bury that sucker in................ oh, wait, no ice.

Sosodef 07-12-2016 06:29 PM

Jordan Speith will not be competing. Too bad, the first time golf is in the olympics... Even though golf in the olympics seems pretty dumb...

It should be match play too. Not tournament style.

punkwax 07-12-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sosodef (Post 8771917)
Jordan Speith will not be competing. Too bad, the first time golf is in the olympics... Even though golf in the olympics seems pretty dumb...

It should be match play too. Not tournament style.

Not true.. hasn't been in the Olympics for a long time but the last Gold medalist golfer was a Canadian back in 1904: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lyon_(golfer)

JDął 07-12-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkwax (Post 8771780)

I grew up with one of the girls who's pair qualified for Rio (Broder/Valjas). Broder's from Victoria (#1 in photo) and won a CIS Championship with UBC. I'll be cheering hard for her and hope you all will too!

https://cdnolympic.files.wordpress.c...pg?quality=100

320icar 07-12-2016 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8771768)

Lol, what a shit editorial with so many mistakes

CorneringArtist 07-12-2016 07:48 PM

Looking forward to see how well the women's rugby sevens team does with the sport being the first year it has been included in the games. Men's team ate shit in qualifying again, even though they looked good when I went to the tournament in Vancouver a few months ago.

dat_steve 07-13-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8771784)
The absolute best Olympic Sport, two thumbs up!!

Three**:ifyouknow:

Traum 07-13-2016 08:44 AM

For the record, I can't wait to see how this Olympic is gonna turn into a gong show. Infrastructure and venue problems, pollution concerns, Zika woes, crime, etc. The IOC has too much -- especially their face and reputation -- to lose, and they are pressuring the WHO into submission.

I seriously hope things will turn out fine. But so far, all the evidence is pointing towards at least a somewhat fxxked up game.

Sid Vicious 07-13-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8771791)
WTH? I was waiting for Gulololol to post something about China.

i'm just a barbell sport enthusiast, and china's olympic weightlifting program is really something else, their athletes are almost superhuman in terms of their strength and coordination

Traum 07-13-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8772049)
i'm just a barbell sport enthusiast, and china's olympic weightlifting program is really something else, their athletes are almost superhuman in terms of their strength and coordination

Surely you know why that's the case and how their athletes got trained up, right? :badpokerface:

Sid Vicious 07-13-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8772051)
Surely you know why that's the case and how their athletes got trained up, right? :badpokerface:

every country uses PEDs, yet China's WLers still come out on top in head to head competition

there's more to sports than just steroids; you don't just inject steroids and become a champion

Traum 07-13-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8772054)
every country uses PEDs, yet China's WLers still come out on top in head to head competition

there's more to sports than just steroids; you don't just inject steroids and become a champion

I wasn't really referring to PEDs, but more of the practice with scooping young children up by the masses -- often from smaller, poorer, and more remote villages -- and sending them off to children athlete training camps, away from family etc.

I don't particularly want to shxt on China too much in this thread -- or at least, I don't feel like doing so now. But if you do a little research, you'll see why China excels in certain type of Olympic sports.

The irony is, hardly any of the sports that China excels in is commercially lucrative. But what's what your old school authoritarian governments do -- spend millions on programs that prop up the country's "image" to pump out a selected few elite athletes while ignoring the welfare of the masses...