REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official "Humanity Falling Apart" Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709621-official-humanity-falling-apart-thread.html)

murd0c 07-14-2016 08:21 PM

The Official "Humanity Falling Apart" Thread

With everything that has been going on the last while with the terrorist attacks and police shootings we should keep it in one thread since thats all Off-Topic has been becoming the last while and its straight up depressing and scary to wonder what the future holds for our humanity.

Armind 07-14-2016 08:28 PM

It's a fucked up world.

murd0c 07-14-2016 08:32 PM

I have been thinking for a while what to call it but really it feels humanity is falling apart an its sick

jasonturbo 07-14-2016 08:49 PM

I couldn't even get paint to sample option on my new Porsche.

When will this madness end??!!!

Bouncing Bettys 07-14-2016 08:59 PM

I don't see it as humanity falling apart so much as backward cultures lashing out as they lose their grip of influence to reason and information.

GS8 07-14-2016 09:00 PM

Can you believe that in South Sudan as we near the 5 year anniversary of her independence, there is new found fears of ANOTHER civil war? The last one went from 2013-2015 and now violence rocks the capital once again. Current death toll is at least 272 (as provided by the Government) but human rights organizations believe it's much higher.

The civil war started between a President and Rebel Leader. After the civil war was over, the Rebel leader became Vice President as part of an agreement IIRC.

Now this Vice President is back to fighting with his old nemesis :fulloffuck:

This is pre-colonial tribal shit. Fights that should have ended when Euro colonizers left. Forget about 'white privilege'. Go to fucking Africa if you want to see Blacks not giving a single fuck about other Blacks simply because of their tribal name. These fucking dogs have been fighting for so long with no end in sight. How do people not get tired of this?

*Rant off*

Article:

Quote:

South Sudan leaders order ceasefire as civil war fears grow

South Sudan's president and vice president ordered their loyalists to cease hostilities on Monday after days of fighting threatened to plunge the country back into civil war and bring further instability to an impoverished region of Africa.

Fighting erupted four days ago in the capital Juba between followers of President Salva Kiir and Riek Machar, the former rebel leader who became vice president under a deal to end a two-year civil war.

The violence, which has killed hundreds of people, broke out as the world's newest nation prepared to mark five years of independence from Sudan on July 9.

Presidential spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny said Kiir and Machar had spoken by phone on Monday, a day which saw tanks and helicopters involved in some of the fiercest clashes yet.

"All the commanders of (Kiir's) forces are directed to cease any hostility and abide by the order and control their forces," Ateny told Reuters. "President Salva Kiir is determined to carry on his partnership with Riek Machar."

Machar responded by ordering his troops to stand down.

"The president has declared a unilateral ceasefire, I want to reciprocate the declaration of unilateral ceasefire," he told the independent Eye Radio.

Much is unclear, however, about the latest violence in Juba, including what the objective of either side has been and how much control Kiir and Machar have over their forces.

The U.S. State Department said it was carrying out an "ordered departure" of its staff from South Sudan.

The fighting has raised fears of a return to the civil war that erupted in late 2013 and broadly ran along ethnic lines, pitting Kiir, an ethnic Dinka, against Machar, a Nuer.

The conflict killed thousands of people, forced more than 2.5 million people from their homes and left almost half the population of 11 million people struggling to find food. Oil production, by far the biggest source of government revenue, has plummeted.

A new flare-up risks driving yet more people to refugee camps in neighboring countries in the central African region, which is already plagued by myriad woes.

Central African Republic is riven by conflict, the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo is contending with a patchwork of militias and rebels groups, and Burundi is embroiled in a violent political crisis.

The U.N. Security Council on Sunday demanded Kiir and Machar rein in their forces and end the fighting. The U.N. mission in South Sudan, UNMISS, expressed its "outrage" after its bases in Juba were caught in the crossfire between the two sides and two Chinese peacekeepers were killed.

The United States condemned the violence and said it would hold those who commit atrocities or impede efforts to stop the fighting "fully accountable."

"We call on those fighting to return to their barracks. This senseless and inexcusable violence, undertaken by those who yet again are putting self-interest above the well-being of their country and people, puts at risk everything the South Sudanese people have aspired to over the past five years," White House national security adviser Susan Rice said in a statement.

WRANGLING

Kiir and Machar have long been rivals, both in politics and on the battlefield. Civil war broke out in 2013 a few months after Kiir sacked Machar as his deputy.

Fighting has often erupted outside Juba since the two men signed a peace deal in August last year. But this was the first time it had flared in Juba since Machar finally returned in April after months of wrangling about terms of the pact.

Clemence Pinaud, an assistant professor at Indiana University and an expert on South Sudan, said that tensions increased in Juba during the past month.

"We most likely witnessed an acceleration ... into a full-on war in Juba between the two parties," Pinaud said.

Experts say the failure to swiftly implement important elements of the deal, such as integrating and demobilizing their forces, has allowed tension to fester and risked igniting a new conflict.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday urged the Security Council to impose an arms embargo on South Sudan, sanction leaders and commanders who blocked the implementation of a peace deal and fortify the UNMISS mission.

There has been no official death toll from the recent flare up but at least five soldiers died on Thursday and a Health Ministry source said 272 people, including 33 civilians, were killed on Friday. Sunday and Monday's fighting was more fierce.

UNMISS said gunfire had erupted on Monday around the U.N. headquarters in the Jebel area of Juba and also around a base near the airport. It said U.N. sites had been hit in exchanges of fire, killing eight and injuring 67.

Highlighting lawlessness on Juba's streets, one resident said he saw police officers trying to loot a shop in his neighborhood by shooting off the padlocks and firing in the air to scare away people, echoing similar witness reports on Sunday.

An army spokesman said that any soldier found stealing civilian property or looting would be arrested, and shot at if they resisted.

The African regional grouping IGAD echoed the U.N. Secretary-General's call to beef up UNMISS's mandate, calling for it be given an enforcement role similar to a U.N.-backed intervention brigade working in eastern Congo.

Through the civil war, however, world powers and regional states struggled to find leverage over the warring factions, despite U.S. and European sanctions on some military leaders and African threats of punitive actions.

punkwax 07-14-2016 09:15 PM

I honestly feel for anyone and everyone impacted by the recent global tragedies but will say, our generation still enjoys the most peaceful of time in history. Difference is, everyone is tuned in globally these days.

Anyone reading this definitely has relatives who lived through worse times within the last 100 years when really, the masses had no idea what was going on elsewhere.

Food for thought.

westopher 07-14-2016 09:59 PM

My great grandmother saw her husband off to a world war, with him having no choice but to fight in it. I can confidently say my wife will never have to do that. We are more peaceful than ever, but so much more aware of our shortcomings of humanity. It seems worse than ever, but it's just because we hear about it.
I just don't fucking get unprovoked violence against someone or something. It doesn't have any benefit. You may get your way in the moment, but then what? Live your whole life in fear of retaliation? Imprisonment? Remorse?
It solves nothing and ruins every life involved.

twitchyzero 07-14-2016 10:03 PM

even if twitter et al were out of the equation, we would've read/see/hear about a truck rampage, airport massacre etc.

but social media certainly makes it easier for people to get riled up about racism, #brexit and also allow nutjobs to get inspired easily, setting off a chain reaction almost.

Manic! 07-14-2016 10:07 PM

Is the world more violent? or does 24 news and the internet make it way easier to see it?

twitchyzero 07-14-2016 10:15 PM

Not to mention peace may just be what's perceived. There's probably a full scale cyber cold war happening and we as the public wouldn't even know it because it's not violent. China is on a pacific conquest. Dictator Kim still doing his thing. Iraq and neighbouring states are probably in a bigger mess than before it was George W. Bushed. Ukraine's crisis still has no end in sight. The medical community has no clue on the long term effects of zika.

Mr.Money 07-14-2016 10:19 PM

or how much its gonna effect other countries besides brazil..and they're hosting the games for even more global infection,dont forget the lack of security and safety in brazil

subordinate 07-14-2016 10:30 PM

Religion is holding humanity back

twitchyzero 07-14-2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8772587)
or how much its gonna effect other countries besides brazil..and they're hosting the games for even more global infection,dont forget the lack of security and safety in brazil

no wonder visitor visa is temporarily waived PJSalt

pastarocket 07-15-2016 07:38 AM

If everyone got busy getting laid, there would be less war and violence in this world. :Pbjt:

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/65716916.jpg

bloodmack 07-15-2016 03:42 PM

the world is no less inhumane than it was 100 years ago. We are just simply more aware of it.

GS8 07-15-2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 8772780)
the world is no less inhumane than it was 100 years ago. We are just simply more aware of it.

Agreed

You can't spell inhumane without 'human'. We're still animals and some people tap into those instincts more than others.

But we've come a long way as far as achievements go. Science, health, communication (though I fucking hate Twitter & Facebook) to name a few.

Global Poverty has actually gone DOWN over the years. To me, this is some of the best news I've heard my entire life. Poverty goes down despite Population going up? Fuck yes.

Our main enemy is Greed with its right hand being Corruption. To say that eliminating Religion is the key is only a half truth. There are other concepts to consider as well such as Consumerism, Arrogance and Narcissism (which exist predominantly in the western world) which are constructs of social norms that we accept from birth (whether they are right or wrong is purely subjective).

On the whole, we are a better place than before but with 7.4 billion people on this planet, you will not be able to have them all on the same page. Children should be raised as FREE THINKERS, not as carbon copies of generations before.

We're clearly in another stage of evolution. The tech boom. All those stories you read about in the 1950s about how the future would be is slowly coming to shape but it's going to take more time. Think about 300 years ago. Where were we? Now think about 300 years from now. Where will we be?

SkinnyPupp 07-15-2016 07:38 PM

I feel like Pokemon Go should be in here

RRxtar 07-16-2016 02:16 PM

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...19&oe=58221AC6

how long does the list need to get? or does it just need to get closer to home?

godwin 07-16-2016 02:23 PM

This list will just get longer and longer until a new generation decides all the fighting is pointless.. until then.. or we somehow hire Tom Cruise and the precogs to arrest people who are going to commit crimes.

Still bet this list will run longer than the fighting will stop though.

There are always a few people with their screw a bit loose.. heck even on this board. Got Turbo anyone?

It will clean up the clutter if we can add all the craziness in this thread instead of adding to the board.. then forget about it when the next news cycle hits.. like the "Shootings" thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8772966)
how long does the list need to get? or does it just need to get closer to home?

tiger_handheld 07-16-2016 05:11 PM

Did you guys notice with the recent Nice attacks, no one batted an eye (facebook didn't offer the france profile pics, the famous buildings didn't change colors, Eiffle tower didn't go dark)... I think the western world has now accept what most of the mid east has accepted for a long ass time.... bombs are normal, death is normal. It just hit me the day after the attacks and I think the ISIS or whoever claimed responsibility achieved their goal... Make the western world feel what they "feel" everyday...

I wish there would be a truce... ya'll run your women children country into the ground and we won't interfere or push our ideals on you. and You stop bombing us.

They say all it takes is a few men to do nothing for evil to be successful but shit seems like the good guys are trying and dieing...

ZN6 07-16-2016 05:51 PM

Seems appropriate.

murd0c 07-16-2016 10:58 PM

Now I want to go play Gears of War and watch Donnie Darko

PiuYi 07-16-2016 11:35 PM

http://livebyquotes.com/wp-content/u...lvinHobbes.jpg

MG1 07-17-2016 02:32 PM

Another shooting. This time in Baton Rouge. It was an ambush.

3 officers killed and three others wounded. One in critical condition.

I think the lone gunman was killed, but what we need is a quick and continuous airing of the victims' families' impact to show these clowns that there are people and lives behind the uniform. Maybe, just maybe, these thoughtless clowns will think twice before going out there to slaughter people who serve the community.

These people don't and can't think past their own miserable existence. Instead of pulling a trigger to end lives, put your efforts to solve the issues at hand. Even people with the lowest of IQ's should know right from wrong.