REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Lulu Island Winery CEO got caught smuggling icewine into China (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709699-lulu-island-winery-ceo-got-caught-smuggling-icewine-into-china.html)

hirevtuner 07-21-2016 07:47 PM

Lulu Island Winery CEO got caught smuggling icewine into China

Update: Chinese officials seize Lulu Island Winery shipments, investigate Canadian operator

I wonder if it will be a long prison term for this guy.

MG1 07-21-2016 08:26 PM

Damn, thought I saw Gulu Island and Chinese in same sentence and feared for the worst.

Seriously? Declaring two bucks a bottle for Ice Wine? Don't mess with the Chinese government, man. I think this is just a misunderstanding - Richmond News?

On the other hand, what about shit from China on eBay or Alibaba? I buy 250 bucks worth of electronics and it shows up with a declared value on the package as 4 bucks, LOL. And I don't even ask them to do it.

TOPEC 07-21-2016 08:33 PM

declaring $2 per bottle is not the problem, the problem is the CEO of the winery did not line the correct official's pockets with enough cash

MG1 07-21-2016 08:43 PM

^bwahahahaha.................

GLOW 07-21-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8774495)
^bwahahahaha.................

Traum 07-21-2016 08:59 PM

I wouldn't be surprised that his costs per bottle might really be somewhere around $2, but I agree with Topec -- the guy did not make his pre-shipping "arrangements" with the right offical before sending things over.

tiger_handheld 07-21-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPEC (Post 8774490)
declaring $2 per bottle is not the problem, the problem is the CEO of the winery did not line the correct official's pockets with enough cash

Buddy needs to hire a "International Trade Liaison" and provide a "Trade Commission" expense account.

when will westerns learn how to do business in Asia???

FerrariEnzo 07-22-2016 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8774512)
Buddy needs to hire a "International Trade Liaison" and provide a "Trade Commission" expense account.

when will westerns learn how to do business in Asia???

but HE IS Asian :alone:

MG1 07-22-2016 06:41 AM

he is........... almost forgot.

GLOW 07-22-2016 06:59 AM

he should have named it guLulu Island Winery and he might not have been in this mess.

originalhypa 07-22-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 8774572)
but HE IS Asian :alone:

Is it bad that I kind of hoped he was a gwailo?

http://www.lasexta.com/clipping/2013/06/03/00100/30.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8774582)
he should have named it guLulu Island Winery and he might not have been in this mess.

:lol

nice!

pastarocket 07-22-2016 07:38 AM

I understand why many mainlanders like to drink ice wine. They like that sweet taste.

In fact, I saw some mainlanders at the restaurant Brix and Mortar recently order glasses of Coke to mix with their Merlot. FailFish

Who the heck destroys a glass of Merlot by adding Coke to it??? :lawl:

GLOW 07-22-2016 07:43 AM

maybe coke + merlot is the mainlander version of rollin' down the street...sippin' on gin & juice....laaaaaaaaid back....

604STIG 07-22-2016 07:56 AM

Coke & wine, WTF? Introduce them to some sizzurp next.

6o4__boi 07-22-2016 08:15 AM

apparently it's a thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalimotxo

personally if i had the same amount of money to burn i'd prefer this
http://drinksfeed.com/wp-content/blo...nd-cocaine.jpg

CivicBlues 07-22-2016 08:24 AM

LOL mixing red wine with coke is a thing Europeans do to make cheap wine last longer.

Leave it up to Mainlanders to totally miss the concept by using fine wine.

GLOW 07-22-2016 08:30 AM

crown 'n coke...wine 'n coke...same same...

Traum 07-22-2016 09:34 AM

Obviously you guys have not see Mainlanders gulp down a $2000 bottle of Chateau Lafite like it was water in a drinking contest...

Fine wine? Alcohol is alcohol is alcohol. Maotai, Wuliangye, Erguotou, soju, Bordeaux red wine / white wine... all the same. FailFish

Harvey Specter 07-22-2016 02:21 PM

Funny how China makes a huge fuse over smuggled wine but yet millions of illicit dollars are been smuggled into Canada with no shits given by both governments.

6o4__boi 07-22-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8774699)
Funny how China makes a huge fuse over smuggled wine but yet millions of illicit dollars are been smuggled into Canada with no shits given by both governments.

Just goes to show you how far you'll go when you grease the right gears.

GLOW 07-22-2016 02:30 PM

the difference is 1 county's politicians hands being greased and 1 isn't.

edit: dammit 604 beat me to it :lol

Traum 07-22-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8774699)

Actually, I suppose the Mainland Chinese government is really fretting over the underground outflow of Chinese money now:

China?s CITIC Bank tries to seize real estate assets in Canada - The Globe and Mail

Quote:

China CITIC Bank Corp Ltd has launched a Canadian lawsuit to try to seize the assets of a Chinese citizen the bank claims took out a multimillion-dollar loan in China then fled to Canada, the lender’s Vancouver-based lawyer said on Monday.

The bank is looking to seize numerous Vancouver-area homes, valued at some $7.3-million, along with other assets, according to the lawsuit, which was filed in the Supreme Court of British Columbia in Vancouver on Friday.

The defendant, Shibiao Yan, owns three multimillion-dollar properties in a Vancouver suburb and lives in a $3-million Vancouver home owned by his wife, according to court documents.

China is in the midst of a massive corruption crackdown and has stepped up efforts to find fugitives it says are hiding stolen assets abroad. The lawsuit comes amid a debate about the role foreign money, particularly from China, has played in Vancouver’s property boom.

“The person involved left China with a large debt owed,” said Christine Duhaime, a lawyer who represents China CITIC Bank in the case, adding that she was not aware of any criminal charges against the man.

(full story at above link)

tiger_handheld 07-22-2016 05:02 PM

how does coca cola and merlot taste?

I'm temped to try!!

MG1 07-22-2016 05:23 PM

Shit, Coca Cola goes well with anything......... it's like liquid bacon.

Bacon goes well with anything.... chocolate and bacon, bacon in corn soup, bacon in ramen, bacon wrapped chicken nuggets, you name it..........

:troll:

ae101 07-22-2016 07:10 PM

actually in china its 7up with red wine and thats very common here in china, it all started with Li Pang in zhuhai (back story was that he couldn't get use to drinking red wine so he pour some 7up in it, then monkey see monkey do )

i sell wine in china, i have not really met mainlander here that understands wine here (u go to china shows and everyone drinking the liquor and not tasting it)

met lulu island once at wine show in hk, wine was pretty crappy and they keep telling me i dont understand the market (and shit like that)

went pass the winery when i was back in Vancouver and seriously the land is way too small to be doing anything big period, thats with all the grapes perfect for harvest too (which is impossible)