REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Uh, you would risk brain injury.............. uh, scratch that........... risk severe spinal cord injury - maybe quadriplegia to make some money?

You know that we all pay for it in the end, right?
Spinal cord injury or serious brain damage? No.

But what if you get like 1/10 of this case? (so $220,000) for injuries that are lighter? Such as "whiplash" or broken ankle.
Or even 1/20 of the price, which is $110,000 for bruise, cuts, scratches, emotional damage, blah blah blah...

My point was, maybe people will start climbing on to city's property.
In the states, after McDonald's hot coffee incident, everyone started claiming "burn" for spilling coffee.
Same as wet floor, aka slip n' fall. That's a very common one.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #27

ok apparently this incident happened back in 2007
B.C. ordered to pay injured American youth $2.2 million after lamp post fall | Vancouver Sun

took almost a decade for judgement and most likely they're gonna appeal?
Old 07-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Feel bad for the kid but the judgement seems suspect based on the article. I haven't read the full 64-page judgment.
Here: 2016 BCSC 1333 Mackey v. British Columbia
Old 07-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #29
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
^ so youve NEVER horseplayed in your youth?

guy was just swinging around a lamp post...not like he was disregarding a no trespassing/loitering sign and got hurt.

17 YOs should know better...but technically still not an adult. Play with fire and get burned...majority of us went through taht to some degree just that in his case it's serious and permanent

I do argue it's BS they award him compensation based on a distant potential career. Like seriously he's in high school...with average grades that don't mean shit-all as an indication for becoming a physician.

and how did the judge come up with that arbitrary number of 35%?

the thing is, i wasn't being sarcastic. he did reveal another flaw. the post should have held his weight. his stupid act WAS a sacrifice.

the 2 mill is nothing. any amount he'd rather go back in time and not fallen off.

there's no such thing as "accepting responsibility"... whatever happens after is deterministic and that is automatically linked to your actions... cuz cause and effect. if you are the direct cause, you are directly linked to it. you dont have to accept anything. whatever happens happens. you have no choice.

no matter his stupidity, he already paid the price... he's physically fucked lol.

the focus is there is another stupid mistake... pole rusted to the core... they shouldn't be rusted to the core, period. so ... yeah... the judgement makes sense does it not? we pay our taxes and we aren't poor as shit... the city should be maintained better.

anyways, anyone that sustains any perma crippling injury is usually awarded a minimum of 1 million dollars. it's completely normal.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: